phil

The Top Saint Free Agent Signings in Team History

15 posts in this topic

Thought some of you guys would want to check this out.

Since I had a Top 10 worst Free Agent Signings in Saints History, it's only fair to have a Top 10 Best Signings ---

I'm down to #8 Right now -- Jerry Fontenot.

jerry-fontenot-new-orleans-saints-2001-f

If you want to check out all the Worst Free Agent Signings, Here it IS.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Edited by phil

Nice work Phil. I remember Mike Ditka and his one man draft. I will give him credit for putting together a very dominant O-line but not much else. I had high hopes that he would've righted the ship but we became a laughing stock again.things didn't come together till 2000. Glover and Wayne Martin were awesome that year and I remember when Hakeem dropped the ball and we got our first playoff win.

3 hours ago, The gun slinger said:

Nice work Phil. I remember Mike Ditka and his one man draft. I will give him credit for putting together a very dominant O-line but not much else. I had high hopes that he would've righted the ship but we became a laughing stock again.things didn't come together till 2000. Glover and Wayne Martin were awesome that year and I remember when Hakeem dropped the ball and we got our first playoff win.

Ditka also brought in LaRoi Glover. His biggest problem was the lack of a decent Qb. His first official action was to release Jim Everette. Everette was better than any Qb Ditka had during his time as HC. 

Bonckers and The gun slinger like this

7 hours ago, faceman said:

Ditka also brought in LaRoi Glover. His biggest problem was the lack of a decent Qb. His first official action was to release Jim Everette. Everette was better than any Qb Ditka had during his time as HC. 

You know I was looking at a game program from like 98 or 99 the other day. We had 6, yes 6 active quarterbacks on the roster for the game. 

Bonckers and The gun slinger like this

Never could figure out why he let Everette go and then go with two Billy Joes. Looking back at the teams direction back then and seeing the direction of the team today makes me appreciate this coaching staff so much more. 

That era in our history shows you just how important QB is to a team and how lucky we have been for the last dozen years.

Everett was better than anyone Ditka brought in, but he was at the end of his career anyway.  He washed out in San Diego after he left us.

Ditka didn't cut Everett just for the Bill Joe Show.  He acquired Heath Shuler from the Redskins and drafted Danny Wuerffel and hoped either one of them could develop.  Of course, Ditka and offensive coordinator Danny Abramowicz didn't have a clue how to develop a QB.  I thought Kerry Collins had a chance at making a mark but he was fighting his demons when he landed briefly with us and I don't think Ditka had the patience or know-how to help him.  He went on to play really well for the Giants.

Looking back...I think we all had high hopes for the "Iron Era".  But boy...what a dud that was.

Drew, faceman, Bonckers and 1 other like this

And in the mix we had a kid named Jake Delhomme.

If I remember correctly, Ditka made a comment to the effect of "Jim Everett ain't my guy" and never gave him a chance. Ol' Iron Mike was just gaga over Heath Shuler from some stupid reason. 

Ditka was such a monumental step backwards for us. That circus he assembled was atrocious. Looking at the rosters we had a few good ones .. Mark Fields, Sammy Knight, Kieth Poole .... but not enough. I can remember watching us play back then thinking "surely, there is someone, somewhere sitting on a bench that is better than what we have on the field!"

anyway, if you guys want, I'll keep posting here when I add the rest of the players on the list.

The gun slinger and Bonckers like this

Seeing how well Collins performed and how he was able to take control of his life,I was very happy for him. After going back and looking at the rosters,you know we actually had some talent not a lot but some but we didn't have a coaching staff that knew how to develop it much less develop a QB. We all thought that Iron Mike was gonna lead us to the promised land but along with everything else,not figuring out the QB position was the final nail in the coffin. 

phil likes this

For some reason, Ditka's emphasis was on the "Grabowski" type of player-blue collar guys. His tenure as HC  for the saints only cemented the fact that he didn't have a clue when it came to talent. The truth is Buddy Ryan was the heart and soul of the Bears, Ditka was the Barry Switzer.

The team had no direction and like I said we had some talent but they had no clue what to do with it. We also had scouts that couldn't identify talent. Ditka was at a loss as well at identifying talent. Those were some miserable years for us.

I would have ranked Greer much higher. Imo, he's #2 behind only Brees. We don't win SB 44 without him. His performance during the 09  post season ranks up there with the best in history by any Cb in history. He held a in his prime Larry Fitzgerald to 2 catches for 17 yards. Sidney Rice of the vikings to 5 catches for 43 yds. Rice's Td came against Scott Shanle in zone coverage. The only TD pass Manning threw in the SB was the play Greer had to sit out one play due to injury. it was against his replacement Usama Young. Greer only allowed 1 Td pass during the regular season,and it should have been OPI on Roddy White. 

Dru, Richard, louder and 4 others like this

Yeah I don't necessarily agree with everything on this list (somebody else put it together). 

I think a lot of these "All-Time Whatever" lists are, in many instances, come down to personal opinion.  

Edited by phil
Bonckers likes this

2 hours ago, faceman said:

I would have ranked Greer much higher. Imo, he's #2 behind only Brees. We don't win SB 44 without him. His performance during the 09  post season ranks up there with the best in history by any Cb in history. He held a in his prime Larry Fitzgerald to 2 catches for 17 yards. Sidney Rice of the vikings to 5 catches for 43 yds. Rice's Td came against Scott Shanle in zone coverage. The only TD pass Manning threw in the SB was the play Greer had to sit out one play due to injury. it was against his replacement Usama Young. Greer only allowed 1 Td pass during the regular season,and it should have been OPI on Roddy White. 

Totally agree with you on this Face. Greer is among the most undervalued, underrated Saints of all time. It sucks that his career was shortened by chronic knee injuries, he was here such a short time but made a huge impact. His leaving was the beginning of the end of a decent Saints defense....

Bonckers likes this