Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dru

Pierre Thomas and Lance Moore to be induced into Saints HOF

13 posts in this topic

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/06/saints_hall_of_fame_thomas_moo.html#incart_m-rpt-2

In case you're wondering, here's a link to those who have already been inducted.  I had no idea it was so many.  This is not to be confused with the Saints Ring of Honor which only has 4, Archie, Willie Roaf, Rickey Jackson, and Morten Andersen.

http://www.saintshalloffame.com/our-inductees/

phil, Bonckers and The gun slinger like this

I remember a rather lively debate after PT's first game as a starter. I believe it was the last game of the 2007 season against the Bears, neither team was playing for anything...but PT had over 100 yards receiving and rushing. I knew then he would be a great back for us for years to come barring injury.

But he had a lot of doubters, even after that historic game. I think many folks were not high on him due to his pedestrian 40 time and average size. What you cannot measure is heart which he had a ton of....and what I saw was a RB who ran at a very low pad level with incredible balance and agility and great field vision.

In the end, man, were those doubters WRONG....

Love PT....

Richard, zeke187, Bonckers and 1 other like this

I loved having him and was sad to see him go. I do not think he could have been an every down back, but he was a great I mean great role player for us. I am happy he is getting the recognition he deserves. 

He was so dangerous running the screen. And a damn good blocker as well,thats something that nobody talks about. He was an all around great player. Congratulations PT Cruiser. 

14 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I loved having him and was sad to see him go. I do not think he could have been an every down back, but he was a great I mean great role player for us. I am happy he is getting the recognition he deserves. 

I disagree, he was an every down back, his only issue was injuries...

Lance Moore was clutch as well coming out of the slot. He's another one that came out of nowhere. From undrafted to making a key 2 point conversion in the super bowl. He just seemed to have been born with stickem on his hands. He just caught everything.

12 hours ago, The gun slinger said:

He was so dangerous running the screen. And a damn good blocker as well,thats something that nobody talks about. He was an all around great player. Congratulations PT Cruiser. 

We also had an athletic O-line . Nicks,Evans,and Stinchcomb could get down the field and throw key blocks. The Cam is not steady,but pay attention to Evans and Nicks. Both throw key blocks on  this TD pass. 

watch?v=ZmKEAbM5110

Bonckers and The gun slinger like this

You got that right. If Nicks would have been able to stay healthy, he could have been one of the all time greats. He was the best G in the NFL before his misfortunes...

faceman likes this

6 hours ago, sfidc2 said:

Yeah, I think it depends on how one defines it.  There's no doubt PT was capable of playing every down.  He did not have to be taken off the field for any deficiency where another player would be better at (think a run stuffing LB that has to come out on third downs because he can't cover).  In that sense PT was most certainly an every down back.  But, I don't think PT would have had the durability nor would he had been as effective if he was getting 270ish touches per season.

Nonetheless he was an outstanding player.  One thing not yet mentioned in this thread yet was his ability on Special Teams.  He often lined up as the up-back on kickoff returns and actually returned a lot of kicks for us his first two seasons.  As his role on offense became larger, he still would serve as our Kickoff Returner in a pinch.

Losing him so early in that 2011 Divisional Playoff game against the 49ers played a pivotal role in us losing that game and, ultimately, what would be have been our shot at a 2nd Lombardi Trophy.

When it comes to Lance, a lot of fans don't realize that he actually came to us in '05 during the Katrina season.  He survived the gutting of the coaching staff and what would end up being about a 45% player turnover prior to the '06 season beginning.  Silky smooth, sticky hands, great compliment to some of the other WRs he played with.  Lance was a oft injured player, but an outstanding Saint.

I'm slightly miffed either guy gets in before Colston, but that could have to do with a number of different formalities or reasons.  Glad PT and Lance are getting to go in together. (Edit:  Just saw, you have to be three years removed from the Saints.  So Colston won't be eligible until another year goes by.)

Moore endured some of the Hurricane Katrina aftermath by working with the practice squad when the team based its operations in San Antonio and split home games between the Alamo Dome and Tiger Stadium.

He survived the roster shakeup that came after the team hired Payton in January 2006. And when Thomas packed all his belongings in 2007 and drove down from his hometown of Chicago with no plans of going back -- "That's how I knew I was going to make it," he said -- they had lockers next to each other.

"It's really cool to go in with somebody that isn't just a former teammate," Moore said in referencing Thomas as his best friend on the team. "Pierre is my brother. Pierre is my family. We talk regularly. So it's a pretty cool thing."

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/06/lance_moore_pierre_thomas_sain.html#incart_river_index

Edited by Dru
Bonckers likes this

7 hours ago, sfidc2 said:

He could be an every down back, but he could not carry the full load a whole season which is why he was never an every down back in my eyes. That is why I called him a role player. Shoot even in 9 Mike Bell was the pounder to keep him fresh. It wasn't a knock on Pierre just that he couldn't be a Duece in his prime. 

Hell yeah face! Nicks,Evens and Stinch had awesome downfield blocking skill and PT Cruiser was so patient at setting up his blocks. At the time,in my book,he was the best at running the screen.

Bonckers likes this

Agreed Dru, I did mean he had the capability to be an every down back. But really in SP's offense there is no such thing as an every down back, it has almost always been 2 or even 3 guys rotating...Bonck, no one is going to confuse PT with Deuce, he simply was in the same class athletically as Deuce but he got more out of less than any RB i've ever seen....