StLee

Rewatching the 2009 NFC Championship

10 posts in this topic

I have always felt that way St. Lee, don't get me wrong I lvoed winning the Super Bowl, but the NFCCG was down right draingin how hard fouhgt and close it was. I know we had to take the lead with an onside kick in the usper bowl, but I styed up almost all night with the NFCCG. 

Chuck and nolaspe like this

Tell you what,I thought we were waiting our time running Hartley out there cause he didn't have season that would warrant confidence in a situation like that. Glad I was wrong.

nolaspe likes this

Almost everyone I know points to Tracy Porter's interception or the onside kick in the Super Bowl as the greatest plays in franchise history. 

Me? I think the greatest play in Saints History is Hartley's kick to win the NFC Championship because it marks a new era in Saint's football. Just the idea of the New Orleans Saints making it to the Super Bowl at one time was almost laughable. Before then that kick would have been nullified by a penalty or some other incomprehensible happenstance to keep us out of the Big Game. You old school guys know what I'm talking about. Even at our best, the stars were always lined up to deny us that big win when we needed it. 

Edited by phil
Richard, Bonckers, nolaspe and 3 others like this

Phil I agree 100%, even though Tracy made the pick I wasn't sold we would get the ball first or if we didn't that we could not stop their offense. Not to mention when he lined up I wasn't sure he was gonna make. When the kick went through the uprights was one of the best moments of my life, hands down top 5 moments in my life. 

Especially when time out was called to ice him. I looked at my brother in law and told him that Hartley was gonna miss. Then he kicked the living crap out of the ball and I be damned if it didn't go straight down the middle of the uprights. At the time my sister and brother in law lived in thibodaux off of tiger drive,when that kick went through the whole neighborhood went nuts. I didn't sleep a wink that night. I was to jacked up. We were outside screaming with everybody then a cop rolled up and asked what's going on when I told him he didn't believe me. He called his dispatcher when she answered all he could hear was laughing crying and shouting. He hung up and told me that hell just froze over. I shook his hand and said damn right WHODAT!

Our seats are in the end zone opposite of the one where Hartley scored.  Mo was so nervous through the last half of that game and OT that she kept squeezing my arm.  I think that I still have bruises.  I could tell it was good when that ball left his foot.  That 'Dome erupted!

My dad was a hard core saints fan but he quit watching them cause he said it was to much of a strain on his heart. But when he saw that kick go through the uprights he cried tears of joy. It was a great time to remember.

Richard, Chuck, louder and 1 other like this