Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonckers

Ingram showed up as promised

6 posts in this topic

I get players aren't require to go, and only have so many ways of showing displeasure for contracts. But with the suspension and what not I feel Ingram hurt himself skipping OTA's. Again though I understand it wasn't manadatory, and he has no other way to protsest for a new ocntract. I don't see the Saints extending him due to the suspension though until next off season. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/12/after-skipping-voluntary-work-mark-ingram-shows-up-to-mandatory-minicamp/

After skipping voluntary work, Mark Ingram shows up to mandatory minicamp

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 12, 2018, 12:10 PM EDT
gettyimages-904945672-e1528819835848.jpg
Getty Images

Saints running back Mark Ingram is on the field at Saints practice.

Ingram, who has skipped all of the Saints’ voluntary workouts this offseason, showed up today for the first day of mandatory minicamp in New Orleans.

That was the expectation, as Saints coach Sean Payton previously said Ingram would be there.

The 28-year-old Ingram thinks he deserves a new contract after he had the best season of his career in 2017, with 230 carries for 1,124 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns, plus 58 catches for 416 receiving yards. Unfortunately for Ingram, the emergence of Alvin Kamara, last year’s Offensive Rookie of the Year, makes it easy for the Saints to say they don’t need to invest any more money in the running back position.

Ingram is heading into the final year of his current contract. He has a base salary of $4 million and a roster bonus of $500,000. By skipping voluntary workouts he cost himself a $100,000 workout bonus, but by showing up for mandatory work he saves himself from getting fined $84,435.

Also Tim Hightower is there today for a tryout, and Jamaal Charles will be there tomorrow for a tryout as well. I like the idea of updating the lists of veterans. I wouldn't mind Hightower coning back if he has neough for 4 games left in the tank. 

triplett_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike TriplettESPN Staff Writer 

As expected, Saints RB Mark Ingram is back participating at the mandatory veteran minicamp Tuesday after skipping OTAs and the offseason conditioning program. Veteran RB Tim Hightower is also here for a tryout, and ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that veteran RB Jamaal Charles will be in New Orleans for a visit on Wednesday. The Saints could just be updating their "ready list" in case they want some veteran insurance while Ingram serves a four-game suspension to start the year.

Edited by Bonckers

"I'm not angry with my contract," he said. "I wasn't holding out. I'm in the last year of my deal; of course I'd like an extension, but that's not the reason I wasn't here."

"The main reason that I wasn't here for OTAs was that I wanted to train on my own this offseason," he said. "I wanted to switch up my offseason regimen this year, and I felt like I had some things that I wanted to work on personally that I could get done better by myself."

https://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/06/mark_ingram_saints_minicamp.html#incart_river_index

Bonckers likes this

I just read that too, but I say screw him. He doesn't want to be on our list I don't want him. To me that tells me other teams will avoid him as he doesn't feel like anything but a full time starter number 1 back, nit a role player. Which at this stage of his career he is not. Not with the wear on those tires. 

The gun slinger likes this

Yeah ya right. Someone like that can just go sit in the corner and have a coke and a smile. Why would you not want to be in the same offense as Drew bleepin Brees. Hey if AP can come to the realization that he's a role player at this stage well Murray needs to do that to. It will extend his career.

Richard, Bonckers and Dru like this