Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dru

2017 Defense made major strides at each level

3 posts in this topic

Got some good stats in here.  I really love the confidence this group played with, how well they played as a total unit complimenting each other and how they hung tough through a great number of injuries.  If we can cut our injuries in half on that side of the ball, we should be even better this upcoming season.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/06/saints_affect_passer_sacks.html

Bonckers, Richard and phil like this

Oddly enough, the Saints actually had fewer quarterback hits in 2017, going down to 81 after having 106 in 2016. But, this shows just how much better the defense worked in unison because the improved coverage gave the pass rush more time to make sacks instead of having just hits.

This is key.  I think the overall play indeed improves this year with added depth at DL, LB, and DB. P-Rob, Denario Davis, and Davenport are just the surface.  We also get Anzalone and other players injured last year back.

Its impossible to project injuries but we're in a better position to absorb some this year then we were last year.  Kind of impressive how far we actually got last year with the number of injuries we had.

Offensively, we'll still click on all cylinders as long as Brees is taking snaps (save the occasional game where he is off).

I would not be surprised to see Kamara have somewhat of a "sophmore slump" (hopefully not, though) - especially with Ingram out 4 games and defenses keying on Kamara.

The start of the season can't come fast enough.

Bonckers and The gun slinger like this