Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbrod81

NBA Conference Finals: Game 7s

34 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, dtgSaintsFan said:

Damn.  I'm sick and tired of seeing LeBron in the finals every single year.  Damn.  There's a reason he's the king.

I feel the opposite. I fully understand why some root against LeBron. I look at his career in a historical sense. He has now appeared in 8 straight finals. Bill Russell leads with 10. The difference is Russell had several other HOF'ers on those Celtic teams to help him along the way. LeBron has brought teams to the finals that would have been in the lottery if he wasn't on the team. Jordan probably would have went to 8 straight if he hadn't taken a 2 year baseball sabbatical in 94-95. Like Russell,he had more help than LeBron. Pippin,Rodman,and Horace Grant were forces up front. Paxton and Kerr could hit the 3 point shot if needed.  

Slidell Saint and bigbrod81 like this

Houston built a new city tonight with all those bricks from 3. What was it 27 in a row missed from behind the arc? Also James Harden continues to disappear in big playoff games. I feel bad for Clint Capela. He played his ass off tonight.

Slidell Saint and faceman like this

16 hours ago, bigbrod81 said:

Houston built a new city tonight with all those bricks from 3. What was it 27 in a row missed from behind the arc? Also James Harden continues to disappear in big playoff games. I feel bad for Clint Capela. He played his ass off tonight.

This is why I'm not in favor of building an offense that relies on hitting over 40% on 3 point shots. Imo, it's the NFL  equivalent of the all out passing attack while ignoring the run. When it clicks, it's a thing of beauty. When it doesn't we have games like these. Boston couldn't hit the 3 against Cleveland either. What were they 2-21?. I'm a fan of a 99% slam dunk. I'll always believe games are won and lost in the paint if the officiating is fair. I grew up on the NBA in the mid 70's to late 80's. The Showtime Lakers and the Blue Collar Celtics could      hit a 3 when needed, but it wasn't their base offense. Between the both, they won 8 titles in a 9 year span. They won with crisp passing to the open or mismatched man inside. Give me 70% 2 point shots over 40% 3 point shots 7 days a week. During the course of a entire game, inside scoring will beat outside scoring a majority of the time. 

Edited by faceman
Slidell Saint likes this

On 5/29/2018 at 2:58 PM, faceman said:

This is why I'm not in favor of building an offense that relies on hitting over 40% on 3 point shots. Imo, it's the NFL  equivalent of the all out passing attack while ignoring the run. When it clicks, it's a thing of beauty. When it doesn't we have games like these. Boston couldn't hit the 3 against Cleveland either. What were they 2-21?. I'm a fan of a 99% slam dunk. I'll always believe games are won and lost in the paint if the officiating is fair. I grew up on the NBA in the mid 70's to late 80's. The Showtime Lakers and the Blue Collar Celtics could      hit a 3 when needed, but it wasn't their base offense. Between the both, they won 8 titles in a 9 year span. They won with crisp passing to the open or mismatched man inside. Give me 70% 2 point shots over 40% 3 point shots 7 days a week. During the course of a entire game, inside scoring will beat outside scoring a majority of the time. 

I'm with you but the game is now officiated differently to go along with the change in offensive strategy. All you have to do is watch a handful of games to realize that big men & players who attack the rim no longer get same foul calls as players did 20-30 years ago. I've watched guys like AD & Lebron get hacked constantly near the basket without getting any calls whatsoever. On the otherhand, the NBA has become real protective of the shooter especially when it comes to protecting their landing space. Defenses have taken notice & realize they can hack players near the basket now & get away with it.

I will piggyback off your being a fan of a 99% slam dunk. I came up in the Jordan crazed era. Jordan wasn't the only high flyer of that era. You had Clyde Drexler, "The Human Highlight Film" Dominique Wilkins, Larry Nance & my personal favorite "The Reign Man" Shawn Kemp. No one attacked the rim with more wreckless abandon than Shawn Kemp. (My favorite Kemp moment was him dunking on the Warriors Chris Gatling & then Gatling shaking his hand like, " bro, that was nice. You got me there.")

Anyway, that era brought about a generation of players who cared more about athleticism & dunking, over skill & fundamentals. Young guys coming in the league especially those straight out of high school could barely dribble & shoot. Along with the physical style of defense that was in at the time, it made for awful offensive basketball. Now, players like Steph Curry have made it "cool" to have elite fundamental skills such as dribbling, jump shots & free throw shooting. Because of that, I can't be upset with the modern NBA game. Where I would like to see change come about is in the transition aspect of the game. That's where your high flying, rim rocking dunks should occur. I really hate the pull up 3 in transition. Everyone isn't Steph Curry. He is the only one who can pull that off on a consistent basis. I say attack, attack, attack. Get the guaranteed fastbreak dunk. Not only that but those types of dunks can produce runs when at home & the crowd really gets into it. You just don't see those type of dunks that get fans on their feet anymore. Lebron had a few this past year but you used to get them on a nightly basis league round. As crazy as it sounds, the NBA has become too skilled. Give us fans back some that rim rocking action that made the league what it is today.

Bonckers likes this