Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbrod81

NBA Conference Finals: Game 7s

34 posts in this topic

For the first time in 39 years, both the NBA Eastern & Western Conference Finals will be decided by a game 7. In both series, there are injuries that may decide the outcome of these game 7s.

In the East, Cavs forward Kevin Love is out due being in concussion protocol. Love has been the Cavs second leading scorer this series behind obviously Lebron James. Both teams this series have looked completely discombobulated offensively on the road. The trend of this series heavily favors the Celtics being that they have home court but can you honestly pick against the best player in the game who is in the mist of historical run from both a statistical & sense of the moment standpoint? Lebron's 2018 playoff run has been monstrous. When the Cavs have needed him the most, James has responded the way the best player in the league is supposed to respond.

When Indiana threatened to take a 2-0 lead in the first round, James dropped 46 points in Game 2. He hit a buzzer-beater as part of a 44-point performance against the Pacers in Game 5 and poured on 45 more points in Game 7. He put Toronto away early with 43 points in Game 2 in the second round.

The only loss came in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals, when James scored 42 points with 12 assists and 10 rebounds in a 107-94 loss to the Celtics. James rectified that with a 46-point performance Friday, giving Cleveland a chance to eliminate Boston at TD Garden. The Celtics are 10-0 at home in the playoffs, but James averages 34.9 points per game and shoots 48.4 percent from the field in Game 7.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/lebron-james-cavs-vs-celtics-game-6-stats-nba-playoffs-2018-eastern-conference-finals/1rofz498iy40n1av1v6cquptb6

With Kevin Love out, the way the Cavs have looked lost offensively in Boston & the Celtics being 10-0 at home in these playoffs, it's almost a no brainer to pick the Celtics yet the Celtics are a young team very inexperienced in the pressure of a game 7. On the otherhand, Lebron James is on the opposing side. It's hard to go against Lebron in game 7s where he seems to be at his best.

LeBron James has played 22 elimination games in his career and is 13-9 in those contests.

In those 22 games, James is averaging 34.1 points, 10.8 rebounds, 7.4 assists, 0.95 blocks and 1.7 steals. James averages the most points of any player in league history who has played at least three elimination games, ahead of Michael Jordan at 31.3 and Wilt Chamberlain at 31.1.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/05/25/lebron-james-playoff-elimination-games-record-stats

My heart says go with the trend of the series & the home team winning but my head tells me not to doubt Lebron James. Somehow Lebron wills the Cavs to road win as the role players finally show up for a road game in Boston. Pick: Cavs

In the Western Conference both teams are dealing with injuries to key players. The Warriors maybe without Andre Iguodala who has missed games 4, 5 & 6 with a leg contusion. Iguodala's absence has caused Steve Kerr to shuffle his lineups & eliminated the Warriors ability to run out their Hampton's 5 lineup that has caused opposing teams nightmares. The Warriors have lost 2 out of the 3 games that Iguodala has missed in this series.

The lone win came last night as Chris Paul missed game 6 with a hamstring injury. Paul's injury & missed time maybe even more significant for the Rockets than the Warriors missing Andre Iguodala. Paul was easily the MVP for the Rockets this series prior to going down late in game 5. He & Eric Gordon have carried the Rockets while James Harden has struggled to resemble anything close to his regular season form against the Warriors. 

In the end, the Warriors have more than enough firepower to overcome the loss of Andre Iguodala as they showed last night. (Klay Thompson was lights out from 3) On the otherhand, James Harden has proven that he cannot be trusted in the playoffs especially in huge moments. Eric Gordon won't be able to carry the load himself. Despite the Rockets having home court, I just don't see them hanging with Golden State in a game 7. Pick: Warriors

Slidell Saint likes this

Nice analysis. Like dtg I’m rooting for Celtics-Rockets. But it’s hard to pick against both the Cavs and Warriors. A lot of Finals experience on both teams. These games will be fun to watch. Great NBA playoffs this year!

bigbrod81 likes this

Boston should be up by more right now. Their inability to knock down open shots early on may come back to haunt them. Of course, Lebron has to be Mr. Everything for the Cavs.

Despite a 4 point lead at halftime, the Celtics look like a young, inexperienced team who have never been on this stage before. Which team can find their offensive grove?

Cavs haven't been much better but the the Celtics have been abysmal so far in the 3rd quarter. This is flat out terrible.

9 minutes ago, Slidell Saint said:

Tatum might have poked the beast right there! Lol

Agreed. No matter what happens here, you have to be impressed with the rookie.

1 minute ago, bigbrod81 said:

Celtics just cannot hit from 3. That should have been a continuation for James there.

And yet they they keep trying. Almost seems like they are passing up higher percentage 2 pointers to take 3s.

Going to cost them the game.

bigbrod81 likes this

17 minutes ago, Slidell Saint said:

I’d root for Houston over Cleveland, but Cleveland over Golden State.

As badly I want to talk myself into giving Houston a chance tomorrow night, I just don't see it. The Warriors just have too much experience & too much firepower. 

Slidell Saint likes this