Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sailorsaint

Question about UNO

16 posts in this topic

My teenage twins just made a campus visit to UNO. It's the third campus, first was Southern Miss, then Miss State. Prelims say they are more impressed with UNO.  They turn 16 later this year and will be graduating a year early, putting them in college at 16/17. Baby girl wants to be an English Prof/Author, Little man wants to be an engineer, probably navy and marine engineering but the particular field of engineering is still up in the air, I think. Baby girl did not blow away the ACT, but was decent enough to get a solid offer from both MSU and UNO, Little man, however, scored a 31 and UNO is offering free tuition and waiver of out of state fees. The out of state fees are not relevant because the ex will probably move to Mandeville to be close to them and save paying the out of state fees for Baby girl. Anyway, I was wondering if we had anyone here with some insight on the area and UNO in particular.

I'm a proud UNO alum.  Graduated in the 1980s with an accounting degree and it has been a springboard to a great career as a CPA.

I think UNO is a great school, but like any school, it depends on the major and the student.

UNO has several outstanding colleges and programs, including my own...accounting...but also Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.  The NAME program sounds like it's right up your son's alley.  And with his scores I'm not surprised they offered pretty much a free ride.

Here's the thing about UNO - it does not have the 100+ year old history...and accompanying endowments...of older, more established universities.  Back in the day we sort of prided ourselves on how much we accomplished with so few resources.   But now, 30+ years later, that kinda of mantra sort of gets old.  Honestly it seems my alma mater is always operating on a shoestring budget.  Probably important to dig into the health of any particular program before committing to go.

UNO is routinely knocked for not having the typical college life...no football team...no real big-time sports....the Greek life is there, but they have fewer frats and sororities than a bigger school.  But the dorms are new and nice and they are developing a nice on-campus culture.  When I was a student back in the 80s, UNO was largely a commuter school, with only one traditional dorm building and one complex for married students.  The on-campus life now is much more robust with I think about 3,000 students living on campus.

Not sure any of that helps...so I'll wrap up with an employer's perspective.  As a business owner in the metro area, my partners and I look to UNO to hire entry level employees.  We do that with the confidence that UNO has provided a solid education and foundation into our profession.  Is that so for every degree?  I can't say.  But UNO's always been known as a rigorous academic institution and a UNO degree means something to an employer when it pops up on a resume.

My cousin went to UNO he graduated high school in 02'. I will ask him his thoughts. I don't remember if he finsihed there, or started there. He was displaced by Katrina so I will find out and pass on what he tells me. I think he finsihed up at UNO. 

Edited by Bonckers

I attended UNO in the 80's and was a History and Political Science Major.  The History depaartment was (and probably is still) outstanding. The most well known professor was my advisor, confidant, and friend, Stephen E. Ambrose (Author of Band of Brothers and a driving force behind the D-Day Museum.) There were several other amazing professors in that department, though. Joseph Logsden helped verify and resurrect "Twelve Years A Slave", which was made into a movie a few years back.

The thing about UNO is that there is no "gimme"...it's a tough school and students need to put the work in. I knew several people who attended both UNO and Tulane and to a person they all said UNO was harder than Tulane and they thought students at UNO got just as good of an education as students at Tulane.

I ended up graduating from University of Colorado at Denver and not at UNO.  UNO was way more rigorous and even though my diploma says "University of Colorado" and probably carries more weight, I learned more and felt I got a better education at UNO.

The other thing about UNO to bear in mind is almost exclusively a commuter school. There is no "campus experience" or "university life" like there are at universities where large populations of students live on or very near campus. People largely drive to school for classes, hang out on campus inbetween classes, then hop in their cars and leave after their last class is finished.  When I was there, there was a grand total of 1 "regular" dorm and an apartment-like complex for married student housing.  I rented an apartment 2 blocks off of campus for a semester but moved to a different apartment after that.

I too am proud of my association with UNO and even though I wound up graduating elsewhere, I always think of UNO as my college.  I just wish more students lived on or near campus and that they had more activities that kept students on campus throughout the day and night.

Edited by herb
sailorsaint and nolaspe like this

My cousin told me there was not much living on campus like all have said here. He did say the engineering program has taken a hit the last couple of years due to budget cuts. So I would dig into that a little bit. 

Outstanding info. I had not gathered that about the engineering dept., I'll have to look into that. The twins will be living off campus with their mom in Mandeville, so on campus living isn't an issue anyway and neither of them are really "social animals" if you know what I mean.

12 hours ago, sailorsaint said:

Outstanding info. I had not gathered that about the engineering dept., I'll have to look into that. The twins will be living off campus with their mom in Mandeville, so on campus living isn't an issue anyway and neither of them are really "social animals" if you know what I mean.

I'll add a comment about living on the Northshore and commuting.  I did it for 20 years before opening an office on the Northshore.  They will have to adjust to a 45 minute to 1 hour drive each way.  And it's not easy, open highway for 45 minutes.  It's 20-25 minutes on the Causeway Toll Bridge (on a good day) and then a lot of stop and go traffic through Metairie and New Orleans out to the Lakefront area where UNO's campus is.  Maybe that's not a big deal.  But you should factor that into the decision. Especially since you're saying that they are graduating high school early and will be 16-17 years old as freshmen.  And that's not considering the wear and tear on whatever car they are driving.

Certainly not trying to talk you out of anything...but the reality of the drive can hit hard once you start doing it every day.

Saint ATN likes this

Thanks. Oddly enough, if you have ever watched Big Bang Theory, you'll know what I mean when I say that Nate is my Sheldon. Not saying he is as smart, though he is quite bright, but he has all the same phobias, including driving. He just has no interest in it. Because he spent most of his younger years living with his mom in the Jackson area instead of in the country with me. Katie however, loves to drive and I think that for a while their mom will probably drive them to and from, and I'm not really concerned with how much she is inconvenienced. The twins seemed to really like UNO, as well as MSU, so it's still kinda up in the air where they will chose to attend.  I hope it's UNO because I would hate to have to look at MSU crap all over the house!!

Bonckers and Slidell Saint like this

Driving is lost on Gen. Z, they just don't have the time or give a hoot. I have a nephew, also lives in Jackon and has no interest in learning how to drive. Whereas we were at the DMV at 16, they have no interest. It's rather an interesting development I've noticed generationally lately. They buy the latest phone or gadget but have no interest in cars or homes. 

sailorsaint, Bonckers and Dru like this

13 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

Driving is lost on Gen. Z, they just don't have the time or give a hoot. I have a nephew, also lives in Jackon and has no interest in learning how to drive. Whereas we were at the DMV at 16, they have no interest. It's rather an interesting development I've noticed generationally lately. They buy the latest phone or gadget but have no interest in cars or homes. 

This is the absolute truth!  I've got three boys - 21, 17 and 13.  My 21 year old had zero interest in driving a car.  He didn't take drivers ed until we forced him to when he was a junior in high school.  He got his license well after he turned 17.  Of course he quickly realized the freedom having his license and a car to drive gave him.  But we pretty much had to drag him to the DMV.  Whereas I was chomping at the bit to learn to drive as soon as I could get my learner's permit at age 15!  Then you could get your license six months later, even before your 16th birthday if you had the permit for six months and took drivers ed.  My 17 year old was what I'd call "on time".  He wasn't pushing it to drive early like we were back in the day.  But he did get his license shortly after turning 16.  My 13 year old is the more athletic, more outdoors, play ball or go fishing kind of kid.  He plays his video games but would rather be outside.  Rare type these days!  I think he'll be "on time" driving as well.

Dru, sailorsaint and Bonckers like this

Lot has been said that I would have, but someone beat me to it.

Yet, I have to get a kick out of the driving thing and what we see as adults now from children.  Doug Stanhope, great comedian, has a great bit on this whole phenomena.  Evey generation before us had the parents saying, "These damn kids don't have any respect, going wild, etc.". The new generation was too deviant and crazy.

We're the first generation that looks at the youngsters, or our own kids, and says to themselves, "WTF is wrong with these kids?  When I was their age, I was blowing cocaine off of titty dancers and diddly-poo.  These pussies, the closest they get to a fist fight is on some message board where they block someone on facebook."

It is so true and so funny.  Yet so disappointing.  I think, and this could be it's own thread, but the best time to be born in America is around 1954.  If I had to pick, I think that's the year I would choose to be born. 

sailorsaint likes this

21 hours ago, Dru said:

I think, and this could be it's own thread, but the best time to be born in America is around 1954.  If I had to pick, I think that's the year I would choose to be born. 

I kinda like the year I was born, 1965. I enjoyed myself enough in the late 70's early 80's as a kid. My only other choice would be 2020, because there are some great things coming by 2050.

Slidell Saint likes this

I still play UNO with my daughter. BTW my sister and I alwasy cheat when she is playing to throw all the draw two and wild draw 4's we can on her lol. Can't wait for the family vacation to do it again. 

dtgSaintsFan likes this

Well, I guess my query was premature. My son has pretty much decided he wants to go to Miss St and my daughter is looking at Behaven or Milsaps.  While I'm glad they will be staying a little closer to where I live, not sure how I feel about MSU, ugh. My son had more than a couple offers, including LSU and Loyola, and he scored a 32 on the ACT, so he could probably take his pick of where he wants to go. I guess it could be worse, at least it's not Ole Piss.

My son's eyesight problems are still being investigated. While we have ruled out LHON, there is still the problem with atrophy of the optical nerves. The geneticist is still investigating but it looks like whatever he has will at least develop slower than LHON.