Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

Saints pay big-time price, believe they’ve got a big-time player.

21 posts in this topic

2. Saints pay big-time price, believe they’ve got a big-time player. I understand why some people are scratching their heads over the Saints selling out for a pass-rusher. After all, to move up 13 spots to get Texas-San Antonio phenom Marcus Davenport, they gave up a 2019 first-round pick to get one, which something none of the three teams moving up for quarterbacks did. There’s risk involved, to be sure. But what if I told you that, when he was discussed over the last few weeks, DeMarcus Ware’s name was invoked? And what if that was backed by weight of two men, coach Sean Payton and assistant GM Jeff Ireland, in prominent positions who were there when Ware was drafted by Dallas in 2005? Then would you be okay with it?

Where some teams saw a different dude in Davenport (he’s into poetry) and wondered how that temperament would befit an NFL pass-rusher, the Saints saw someone whose makeup wasn’t far off from Ware’s, complete with the same ability to flip the switch on game day. In fact, New Orleans marked his motor and competitiveness among his strengths. There are others too, of course—Davenport’s a freak athlete (4.58 in the 40) who’s still growing at 6'6" and 263 pounds, and he hit the trifecta when it came to smarts (good in school, good studying football, good processing in-game action). But having seen a guy similar to him make it playing that position, like Payton and Ireland had, was an important element.

Another key factor was how it hard it is to find legit pass-rushers, especially this year. You almost never find them in free agency, because teams that have them wind up keeping them, and it’s tough to land one outside the top 20 picks because that premium is placed on them. And this year, the Saints had medical flags on three of the four edge players ranked behind Chubb and Davenport, and that’s without mentioning guys with other problems (like LSU’s Arden Key). So they took the confidence in their evaluation, buoyed by that Ware example, and tied it to the scarcity that existed at the position. Add to it a desire to help out All-Pro Cam Jordan with a bookend, and also maximize what’s left of Drew Brees’ championship window … and no, their aggression really wasn’t that crazy.

Link

The Raven gave up 3 picks, 2 2s and a 4 to go get Lamar Jackson, I believe it was 2 2s.  I haven't once heard anyone say they gave up too much to get him.  What was that 2011, the Falcon gave up 5 picks and I believe one was a one from the next season, and another from the next season and 3 from that season to go get Julio Jones.  I don't recall anyone saying they gave up too much.  Daveport is a premium pass rusher.  To get something one must give something.  The only way to get a premium pass rusher is the either have high draft placement or move up.  The Saints did the latter. They new what the team needed and they went and got him.  I don't have a problem with it.

I know man,it's like they giving us grief for not taking a QB. It's like there're disappointed that we took a DE. To he'll with them, I trust Payton and Ireland more than all these so called experts.

2 hours ago, The gun slinger said:

I know man,it's like they giving us grief for not taking a QB. It's like there're disappointed that we took a DE. To he'll with them, I trust Payton and Ireland more than all these so called experts.

Agree with you. I watched the NFL Network coverage and Mayock was absolutely convinced we traded up for Lamar Jackson. You could tell how excited he was as he babbled on about Jackson as the heir apparent of Drew Brees. When the pick was announced as Davenport he was visibly stunned!

The gun slinger, Drew and Bonckers like this

Let's go win ourselves another Super Bowl!!!!!!  If this guys helps even as a rookie, we've seen it many times before, no more convincing than last season, then we'll all be walking in eternity one more time again. 

Ok, the players, coaches and organziation will walk in eternity, but we fans count too.

The gun slinger, herb and Bonckers like this

Guys, relax. It's just the TV "EXPERTS". We couldn't care less. From what I see, this Saints-Draft bashing by these clueless folks will serve as a BIG TIME MOTIVATION for all our squad in general, and for Davenport and Leonard in particular. Like Dru said: Let's kick some ass this oncoming season.

Edited by boricko

Offense sells, defense wins.

Offensive players getting drafted will always generate more praise.

Also...are they saying Cleveland has a better front office because they didn't have to draft up?

I have ZERO problems with the trade and pick.  Davenport will be a monster opposite Cam.  

We've been waiting for years as fans for the Saints to nab a impact edge rusher to pair with Cam Jordan.

We've got our guy.

faceman, Kinsey and The gun slinger like this

I agree Louder yes it was a haevy priced paid, but if this guy produces half of what Jordan has as far as pressure and half of the sacks he would have still been second on the team for last year. I don't expect him to get that many sakcs as a rookie. Honeslty I would expect a bunch of pressures. It takes time for rookies to usually be able to grasp how once pressure is applied to turn it into a sack. With Jordan coming the other way and interior pressure as well. The pressure laon should be enough to make a huge impact.

Plenty of articles have stated how hard it is to get a pressure player. They do not become available in free agency, and they are suually drafted high. So when one fell I completely understand the need to jump up and go get him. I just hope we do the same when there is time to pursue out next franchise QB. If we do I will not complain than either honestly. Impact players on chepa rookie deals are worht the draft picks in my opinion and honestly right now we need those rookie contracts to pay our core veterans. 

Now that we have two quality outside rushers, I'm of the belief that the interior D linemen will be feasting more this year as a result. The opposing O line can only double team so many players on a given play. Linebacker stunts will also be more prevalent and effective as well. We should now be able to aggressively disrupt the QB on a regular basis and keep him from getting into a rhythm and comfort zone. With our secondary such as it is, the QB is going to have to act fast and should result in more turnovers.

louder, Dru, Kinsey and 3 others like this

Did not want Brooks 2.0

I for one am happy with this pick. We are poised to compete for a Super Bowl, it would be extremely negligent to draft for rebuilding when we operating at high performance. 

Saint ATN likes this

Screw the talking heads. 

A few years ago, I was all for trading away Brees (so he could go win) and rebuild because I didn't think the GM/Coach could rebuild with the amount of dead money they kept pushing forward.  But some how they've done it.  So lots of props to them.  (finally great drafting)  When Brees retires, either we will have a couple of really bad years or the GM/Coach will have pulled off a 'reload/no rebuild' miracle. I don't really care, we can deal with that later. 

I'm a believer in what the Staff has done and doing.  I hope they keep going all in on Brees for the the next couple of years.  Win now, screw the costs.  HOF QB's don't come around often, I would love to see Brees win another! And if this pick turns out to be Def ROY ... then when we win the SB, Loomis should just look into the camera an drop the mic

I'm not annointing Davenport as the missing piece, but had the Saints traded up for Chubbs, these dorks would be patting themselves on the back to self-validate their rankings.

I like the pick and I am very optimistic that he'll live up to his potential. That 1st rounder next year will wind up being basically a 2nd rounder.

bigbrod81 likes this

I have a hunch that he will turn out to be an impact player for us. He has off the chart athleticism, great size and strength and by all accounts is a hard worker and fast learner. Forget big sack numbers, if he can get consistent pressures on the qb, with Cam on the other side? Turnover city, especially with our much improved, young and hungry secondary. I was initially shocked at the price to move up to grab him but I'm feeling much better about it now. 

Bonckers, sailorsaint and Chuck like this

7 minutes ago, sfidc2 said:

I have a hunch that he will turn out to be an impact player for us. He has off the chart athleticism, great size and strength and by all accounts is a hard worker and fast learner. Forget big sack numbers, if he can get consistent pressures on the qb, with Cam on the other side? Turnover city, especially with our much improved, young and hungry secondary. I was initially shocked at the price to move up to grab him but I'm feeling much better about it now. 

I still don't like the price paid, but that's done with now.  The kid has every chance to shine and shine immediately.  He'll be playing across from a bonafide Defensive Player of the Year candidate.  He'll be playing alongside Sheldon Rankins.  He'll have Okafor to rotate with.  He's got a secondary back there that was pretty solid last season as a unit and looks better on paper currently.  I expect an immediate impact of pressures, possibly helping others get sacks, and 6 to 10 of his own.

IDK 6 sacks is a lot Cam didn't get that his rookie year and he was a full time player. I am honeslty just looking for pressures as that is far easier for player learning. If he gets 6+ I would be estatic.  

26 minutes ago, hardeeflag said:

If the threat of him and his raw strength keeps other teams from doubling Cam and putting attention on him it's still an effective win. 

The opposition is still going to send help to whatever Tackle is trying to block Cam Jordan, make no mistake about it.  But that's exactly what gives Davenport even more of an opportunity to shine.  He'll have one on one matchups consistently unless he starts wrecking havoc and then teams will be in a pickle on how to protect their QB.

The thing about this that is going to be so fun to watch unfold is how this rookie impacts the DLine as a unit and the pass rush as a team effort.  When you have an offensive player, or even a shutdown corner like Lattimore, it's easy to watch individual dazzling plays and be impressed.  In this case we'll get to watch the impact that the total DLine gets from having one more legitimate threat, or how a rusher comes free to the QB because the opposition is so concerned with the main threats.  Should be fun.  

Bonckers, Chuck and bigbrod81 like this