Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
herb

2018 Draft - Day 2

22 posts in this topic

With the Saints making a huge trade to jump 13 spots and snag Davenport, what do the Saints do on day 2?  I'd be shocked to see any trades to move up into round 2, but one thing this front office has taught me is to expect the unexpected.

So, I'll assume they'll stay put and let the draft come to them.  I could see them trade back and pick up an extra pick to cushion the trade up for Davenport.

The 1st round lasst night was odd in a couple of ways for me.  It seems like this year teams were more interested in OG over OT. Even just a few years ago taking OGs in round 1 was considered a head scratcher and OTs were the sought after OL position.  This might mean that an OT projected as 2nd round material might fall to us in round 3.

The other odd thing was the dearth of DBs taken. No safeties and only 2 CBs were taken. I expect there will be an early run on DBs in round 2 (maybe for WRs also).

So, it'll be interesting who is available at pick 91 and who the Saints have at the top of their board at the time.

Here are a few options that pique my interest fore the 3rd round:

Dalton Shultz  TE Stanford
Tyrell Crosby OT Oregon
Jesse Bates III  S Wake Forest
Anthony Averett CB Alabama
Michael Gallup WR Colorado State

1 hour ago, sailorsaint said:

I can't access the Day 1 thread for some reason, says page not available or some such nonsense.

I think the DB is not handling all the links fromthat thread correctly

2 hours ago, sailorsaint said:

I can't access the Day 1 thread for some reason, says page not available or some such nonsense.

We can go back and look at it again after next season :)

Bonckers likes this

8 hours ago, herb said:

With the Saints making a huge trade to jump 13 spots and snag Davenport, what do the Saints do on day 2?  I'd be shocked to see any trades to move up into round 2, but one thing this front office has taught me is to expect the unexpected.

So, I'll assume they'll stay put and let the draft come to them.  I could see them trade back and pick up an extra pick to cushion the trade up for Davenport.

The 1st round lasst night was odd in a couple of ways for me.  It seems like this year teams were more interested in OG over OT. Even just a few years ago taking OGs in round 1 was considered a head scratcher and OTs were the sought after OL position.  This might mean that an OT projected as 2nd round material might fall to us in round 3.

The other odd thing was the dearth of DBs taken. No safeties and only 2 CBs were taken. I expect there will be an early run on DBs in round 2 (maybe for WRs also).

So, it'll be interesting who is available at pick 91 and who the Saints have at the top of their board at the time.

Here are a few options that pique my interest fore the 3rd round:

Dalton Shultz  TE Stanford
Tyrell Crosby OT Oregon
Jesse Bates III  S Wake Forest
Anthony Averett CB Alabama
Michael Gallup WR Colorado State

I think the guard love is a couple of things. Firstly, interior line was a strength of the draft, top end and depth. Tackle again weak. QBs with either a very quick release or good escapability will be favoured by a lot of teams, with a worrying trend of college tackles unable to block in a pro style offense.

Didn't we hear that teams are jealous of the Saints' historic strength at guard in the last decade? Clean interior pocket is highly desirable in the modern passing game.

Warning signs are there for any teams taking a statue esque quarterback while needing to rebuild their line.

faceman, boricko, Bonckers and 1 other like this

I wouldnt mind if we move up the board again, if there is a player our FO is convinced.

If you have integrated so many rookie contracts into your roster and starting line ups. Its time to go for quality, not quantity.

Edited by boricko
Bonckers and Kinsey like this

9 hours ago, herb said:

Herb, your numbers are definitely off.

There was only one Guard taken in the 1st round (Quenton Nelson was highly expected to be a top 10 selection).  There were 3 OTs (Mcglinchey, Miller and Wynn).  Now there were also two Centers taken (Ragnow and Price) and that is definitely a rarity.  So even if you look at it to compare interior linemen versus exterior, it's still 3 to 3.  But yes, it's not common to have 2 Centers taken within the top 21 picks.  

As for DBs, there were 3 safeties taken (Fitzpatrick, James and Edumnds) and 3 corners taken (Ward, Alexander and Huges).  6 total in the first round isn't unheard of by any means.

Nonetheless, you can count on a lot of WRs to start coming off the board.  There's quite a few guys who may not have been considered 1st round material but represent good value in the 2nd.  For DBs, I'd bet you have around 6 again in this round.  I'd say 4 or 5, but there's always some safety that a team has targeted, that isn't well known, that will be selected.

As for the Saints, we're way too far down for me to guess who will be available, but I won't be one bit surprised with another "project player".  We've shown a propensity to do that in the 3rd round and later.  Often with small school guys or with athletic guys who have been injured often.  I'm honestly a little tired of both of those because they rarely have panned out for us.  Yeah everyone wants to talk about Jahri, Colston, Armstead, etc.  But if you just go back through the years of draft picks under SP and look at how many of those "project players" or small school guys or oft injured guys simply didn't make our team and were out of the NFL in no time.  The injury guys in particular have become infuriating to me.  Anzalone falls into this category from last year's draft.  I didn't mind taking him, but I did mind taking him in the 3rd round.

Quick question, around what time do y'all think we'll be picking? Having a going away dinner tonight w/ my family, but I wanna keep an eye on the draft too lol...

2 minutes ago, nolaspe said:

Quick question, around what time do y'all think we'll be picking? Having a going away dinner tonight w/ my family, but I wanna keep an eye on the draft too lol...

2nd round begins at 5 pm Central and we are 59 picks in if we stay put and do no wheeling or dealing.  I think the format is still 7 minutes per team in the 2nd round and 5 minutes per team in the 3rd, but since they've changed the format, it's going way faster.  The first round took around 3.5 hours I believe last night.  So that's about 6.5 minutes per selection.  That's going to go down tonight.  I guess it'll probably be between 7:30 and 9:00 Central if I had to guess.  

5 hours ago, sailorsaint said:

This has been happening to me since the season ended. I get an error when opening certain threads

43 minutes ago, Dru said:

As for the Saints, we're way too far down for me to guess who will be available, but I won't be one bit surprised with another "project player".  We've shown a propensity to do that in the 3rd round and later.  Often with small school guys or with athletic guys who have been injured often.  I'm honestly a little tired of both of those because they rarely have panned out for us.  Yeah everyone wants to talk about Jahri, Colston, Armstead, etc.  But if you just go back through the years of draft picks under SP and look at how many of those "project players" or small school guys or oft injured guys simply didn't make our team and were out of the NFL in no time.  The injury guys in particular have become infuriating to me.  Anzalone falls into this category from last year's draft.  I didn't mind taking him, but I did mind taking him in the 3rd round.

Important points, Dru.

I remember one year Raptor commented in draft day chat something to the effect of "now you're just showing off" while commenting about a pick from a small school. 

We had slightly different frustrations under Hasslet, where it seemd like the team would draft guys with off the charts 'measurables' that did not seem to translate to on field productivity.

Ditka had his type of player preferences that drove who he picked also.

I feel your weariness on small school / project players, but the short shelf life of draftees stretches over more than this administration. I'm guessing this is is also not just limited to the Saints. 

I share your frustrations on picking guys that seem like they are out of the league in tha bat of an eye.  I'd like to think we've improved our scouting department in recent years and am hopeful that we'll see us start taking players that hang around longer.

The trend that I hate is the constant trading up at the sake of pissing away the total number of draft choices we have.  If that translated to selecting players that stay with the team over time as solid contributors, it might not be as bad but what it feels like is that we wind up averaging adding only between 4-5 players per year through the draft when we start with 7 picks each year. That's 2-3 fewer players.

We also never seem to get compensatory picks awarded.

Those factors leave a taste in my mouth that "we're doing it wrong".

Hard to be upset if we getu Mark Andrews, Harrison Phillips, Hand or Hercules. 

Edited by Brian Milici

13 hours ago, herb said:

Skins just picked him.

Yep, I feel bad for Guice. Unless they vastly improve their offensive line run-blocking he is in for a tough season...I was shocked (but glad) when the Panthers passed on him...

2 minutes ago, sfidc2 said:

Yep, I feel bad for Guice. Unless they vastly improve their offensive line run-blocking he is in for a tough season...I was shocked (but glad) when the Panthers passed on him...

Guice got smeared by the NFL for outing that a team asked him if he was gay and if his mom was a prostitute.  Suddenly, a kid who no LSU fan EVER heard anything but great things about had "character concerns" and the NFL came out and said there was "no evidence" any team asked him those questions. (Show me any NFL team that would voluntarily admit to asking that...it became way too easy to smear the kid in the name of 'protecting the shield'.)

He's going to be a very good pick for the Skins.

Hopefully they bolster their OL.

I have my doubts that they will improve their offensive line. McGloughin tried to and they were on their way to improving the unit but he is now gone, my theory is he didn't get along with Bruce Allen and Napoleonic Danny...when healthy (which they are only about half the time) they are a good pass blocking unit, but they are not a good run blocking team. They really don't have a mauler type on the roster and they have little quality depth.

The NFL is and always will be the evil empire, those billionaire owners and their schill Gooddell don't give a crap about the players, its all about protecting their shield at the expense of just about every thing else...a feel bad for Guice and feel he should be within his rights to sue the team that asked him those questions...

herb and The gun slinger like this

22 minutes ago, herb said:

Guice got smeared by the NFL for outing that a team asked him if he was gay and if his mom was a prostitute.  Suddenly, a kid who no LSU fan EVER heard anything but great things about had "character concerns" and the NFL came out and said there was "no evidence" any team asked him those questions. (Show me any NFL team that would voluntarily admit to asking that...it became way too easy to smear the kid in the name of 'protecting the shield'.)

He's going to be a very good pick for the Skins.

Hopefully they bolster their OL.

I think he is being made an example of, with the NFL not wanting players talking about their discussions with teams.     The teams want to be able to ask whatever they want to ask, to get a reaction from the player.   I am certain agents will be instructing their clients not to openly talk about their meetings with teams.   Feel bad for Guice; he made a mistake in not having an agent.

39 minutes ago, sfidc2 said:

I have my doubts that they will improve their offensive line. McGloughin tried to and they were on their way to improving the unit but he is now gone, my theory is he didn't get along with Bruce Allen and Napoleonic Danny...when healthy (which they are only about half the time) they are a good pass blocking unit, but they are not a good run blocking team. They really don't have a mauler type on the roster and they have little quality depth.

The NFL is and always will be the evil empire, those billionaire owners and their schill Gooddell don't give a crap about the players, its all about protecting their shield at the expense of just about every thing else...a feel bad for Guice and feel he should be within his rights to sue the team that asked him those questions...

Dude...on a side not, I was listening to Cooley and Kevin Sheehan on Redskins Radio the last couple of days...what a couple of tools.  Sheehan trying to be insightful and Cooley being Cooley...sports talk failure. 

Cooley is an absolute utter Redskin minion, that totally does the bidding of Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder. He went on a McGloughin smear campaign immediately after they fired him. I used to think he was not so much insightful than entertaining, now I think he is the most obvious example of an organization using a former player as a token/tool in the media....the media coverage around here for the Skins has to be among the nations worst....

Bonckers likes this

I'm a little late to the conversation about the interior line starting to hold a higher value than years past.  I heard an interesting take on that because of how successful QBs who step up in the pocket are, that teams are putting a heavier emphasis on the interior line to make it easier for a QB to step up.  It makes since especially to explain 2 centers being taken in the middle of the first round.  I don't remember that ever happening before.  

Bonckers likes this