Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xardoz

Mark Ingram vs. Deuce McAllister

17 posts in this topic

I know this is near blasphemy....   but hear me out.

Mark Ingram is about to eclipse the production of Deuce McAllister.  Does he become as loved as Deuce?   I feel like MI is very maligned by fans, but look at the stats. 

Mark - 7 years - 5362 yards - 1183 attempts for a 4.5yd average, and add on 1428 yards receiving in 207 catches for 6.9 yard average.

Deuce - 8 years - 6098 yards - 1429 attempts for a 4.3yd ave and add on 1720 receiving yards in 234 catches for a 7.4 yard average.

Chuck and phil like this

Well if Mark Ingram went to a different school this question wouldn't be asked and it's a shame. He's a damn good good rb and a stand up guy as well. Some fans can't get over the fact that he played for Saban. But you talking about two different types of backs but Duece could've played WR if he wanted. Ingram has elevated his game every year,it's just he's disliked by a lot of fans because he went to Alabama. Deuce was awesome but Ingram is every bit as good. I really don't like comparing players to former players. Just appreciate the greatness you witness on the field while it lasts.

Bonckers likes this

36 minutes ago, thernasty said:

If Mark has an Eagles playoff game like Deuce did... well, he won't be buying his own drinks in and around Nola.

Agreed. Deuce’s legendary status isn’t because of stats alone. He literally put the team on his back and carried them into the end zone to secure a playoff win. That’s the stuff of legends. Not yards or averages.

zeke187, Saint ATN, Bonckers and 1 other like this

58 minutes ago, The gun slinger said:

Well if Mark Ingram went to a different school this question wouldn't be asked and it's a shame. He's a damn good good rb and a stand up guy as well. Some fans can't get over the fact that he played for Saban. But you talking about two different types of backs but Duece could've played WR if he wanted. Ingram has elevated his game every year,it's just he's disliked by a lot of fans because he went to Alabama. Deuce was awesome but Ingram is every bit as good. I really don't like comparing players to former players. Just appreciate the greatness you witness on the field while it lasts.

I aree with some of your statements and disagree pretty strongly with others.  There are few fans IMO who dislike Mark Ingram due to the fact he played for Saban or went to Bama (those fans are college fans and NOT Saints fans, if I may say so).  I think some fans will never get over those early years where, quite frankly, Ingram was used incorrectly, infrequently and also had to play through a bunch of injuries.  He sort of gained a perception in some fans' minds during those years that should, by now, have been erased.  But that's fandom.

Ingram will have a hard time catching Deuce in popularity for a myriad of reasons other than Ingram's Bama / Saban connection.  Deuce is from Mississippi, which is sort of Louisiana's brother.  2003 Deuce could quite easily be the best season any Saints RB has ever put together.  Other members have already chimed in on the Philly playoff game.  Deuce also was a focal point, at one time contributing over 45% of our team's offense.  Ingram has always been second fiddle, far behind Brees, and often behind the likes of PT or Colston or JG or anyone else that was busting out.  

As pro players, I don't believe Ingram at his best approaches Deuce at his best.  But I agree, great guy, very good RB, two completely different style backs, etc.  Ingram has proven his worth time and time again, and he fought through a great deal of adversity and never complained.  He took AK41 under his wing like his little brother and shared his knowledge and success with him.  He's a Saint through and through, and all fans should appreciate him.  Popularity aside, when he passes Deuce he'll become the All Time Leading Rusher of the New Orleans Saints.  

Chuck, Drew, boricko and 4 others like this

Deuce was was a one of a kind. I just wish he could've played longer,injuries sadly shortened a great career. I still remember that Herculean performance against the Eagles in 2006. Good times man good times.

Bonckers likes this

Deuce in his prime was better, but Ingram is definately in the conversation. I really think Haslett (who I despise) shortened Deuce's career insisting that he play at 235-240 and being a power back. His natural playing weight was around 220. I think the extra weight is why he had so many injury issues. No question Deuce was faster and a bit more athletic than Ingram. But Ingram production wise is comparable, and may have a longer career. He plays for a coach that recognizes and utilizes his skill set to the optimum degree. Would have been interesting if Deuce had better coaches....

Bonckers, louisb, Chuck and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, sfidc2 said:

Deuce in his prime was better, but Ingram is definately in the conversation. I really think Haslett (who I despise) shortened Deuce's career insisting that he play at 235-240 and being a power back. His natural playing weight was around 220. I think the extra weight is why he had so many injury issues. No question Deuce was faster and a bit more athletic than Ingram. But Ingram production wise is comparable, and may have a longer career. He plays for a coach that recognizes and utilizes his skill set to the optimum degree. Would have been interesting if Deuce had better coaches....

Sean Payton having an '03 level Deuce on his team is one of the fantasies I have late at night when no one is around....

Slidell Saint, Drew, Chuck and 1 other like this

52 minutes ago, louisb said:

Sean Payton having an '03 level Deuce on his team is one of the fantasies I have late at night when no one is around....

Oh my, and Payton would have had his playing weight down to 220 I would bet. At that weight Deuce was still powerful but really quick and fast (he ran a blazing 4.31 at 221lbs at the combine)....his touches would have been a bit fewer so his career would likely have been longer as well...we can dream....

McAllister for most of his career had to be the offense, his YPC is lower because teams knew damn well the only thing the saints would do was run through Deuce. Ingram couldn't be the offense even if he tried, no offense, but I can't see at all the comparison here apart from a stats standpoint which forgoes circumstances which were hugely different. 

Put Deuce in his prime last year and he would have had a better year than ingram's, I'd bet good money on it.

louder, Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

Man Deuce in this offense we would be a dynasty. I do see a little of Deuce in Kamara but I don't know if he could be the main back taking all the snaps like Deuce did. I don't know if he would hold up but people had the same question about Deuce before he took over when we shipped Williams to Miami.

Duece and Ingram may have similar numbers, but are nowhere near the same player. I like what Ingram brings to this team, but as hvaing been said already he is only part of the great machine thsi offense is. Duece was the Saints, no and ifs, or buts about it. We only went as far as he carried us. He supplanted Ricky Williams who quit honestly was just coming into his own when we traded him. We actually got great value for Ricky and Reggie wehn we traded both of them. Not to mention Chris Ivory man Loomis killing it. Back on point I love Ingram and I think he is a much different back who is a phenomenal leader. I know without him Kamara doesn't develop to he was last year. So I think they are both great players who fit perfectly when they were here. Yes Duece would be awesome in his prime with Drew, but Ingram has not disappointed the last couple of years.  

On 4/21/2018 at 9:59 AM, sfidc2 said:

I don't believe Haslett asked Deuce to gain weight. Deuce never worked hard in the offseason. He often showed up at camp overweight. I believe it was Rap who posted a pic of Deuce the first day of TC in 2004. He looked like a slob with a beer gut. It definitely wasn't a chiseled 240. 

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

9 hours ago, faceman said:

I don't believe Haslett asked Deuce to gain weight. Deuce never worked hard in the offseason. He often showed up at camp overweight. I believe it was Rap who posted a pic of Deuce the first day of TC in 2004. He looked like a slob with a beer gut. It definitely wasn't a chiseled 240. 

I remember it differently but don't have any solid evidence. But I thought that it was fairly common knowledge (at least it was spread/alleged by the local sports folks) that Haslett wanted Deuce playing at 230+....no way to know for sure....

2 hours ago, sfidc2 said:

I remember it differently but don't have any solid evidence. But I thought that it was fairly common knowledge (at least it was spread/alleged by the local sports folks) that Haslett wanted Deuce playing at 230+....no way to know for sure....

I do you ke wanted Cie Grant to put on 30lbs inj order to move from safety to LB. Brian Urlachers move from safety to all pro MLB in the nfl started a copy cat trend. I just don't see the same with Deuce. the  2002-03 version was well on his way to the HOF. I believe the weight gain was natural due to the lack of him not working out in the off season. 

I remember it being both.

There was definitely a quote from Haslett along the lines of, "Yeah, he's up to 230.  He looks like a NFL running back now."

I also remember it to be fairly common knowledge that Deuce didn't work hard in the offseasons and became pudgy.  

Well if you remember,Haslett did the same thing to Ricky Williams. Man at one point he had Ricky up to 240 or more. He ran with power but all that weight slowed him down. It wasn't until he was in Miami that he dropped back down to 225-230.

Bonckers likes this