Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dtgSaintsFan

Pelicans vs. Trailblazers Game 1

14 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, dtgSaintsFan said:

Pelicans 97 Blazers 95!  Who Dat!

Phew!  Way too close.  Blew a 19 point lead.

That block by Holiday was the play of the game. After 3 beautiful quarters of basketball, both offensively & defensively, the Pels got sloppy in the 4th. You can't throw away possessions in playoffs like they did. Good learning experience there.

Despite the sloppy play, I really liked what I saw last night. I think Mirotic can play a big role in the playoffs. And there’s still enough “Playoff Rondo” left to have a big impact. Was really glad to see Holiday have the game he had, offensively and on defense. 

And AD is just a special player.

We stole home field advantage last night. Let’s keep it rolling.

bigbrod81 likes this

1 hour ago, Slidell Saint said:

Despite the sloppy play, I really liked what I saw last night. I think Mirotic can play a big role in the playoffs. And there’s still enough “Playoff Rondo” left to have a big impact. Was really glad to see Holiday have the game he had, offensively and on defense. 

And AD is just a special player.

We stole home field advantage last night. Let’s keep it rolling.

It was only really sloppy late in the 4th quarter. Outside of that, it was a great showing especially on the defensive end. That was smothering defense. The type of defense that wins in the playoffs. Holiday, AD & Mirotic scored the ball very well but it was their energy on defense that was the difference.

AD is the man but Holiday was flat out unbelievable. Prior to this season, I felt Jrue was a good guard, not great but his play this season has proven me wrong. Rondo has played a large role in that being Holiday doesn't have to worry so much about running the offense. He can focus more on scoring & his defense. He looks like a totally different player at this point.

Speaking of Rondo, we don't win last night without his veteran leadership. He was the calming influence over the young guys, many who were experiencing their first taste of playoff basketball. 

Slidell Saint likes this

Also, the defensive game plan against Lilliard & McCollum was pure genius. Lilliard struggled in particular because of the use of quick, aggressive traps. He wasn't allowed much room at all to ever get going. It's going to take that type of effort all series long to at least contain him somewhat.

Offensively, it was a 2 man game with Holiday & AD in the 1st & early 2nd. Lots of pick & rolls & pick & pops. Early on, the Trailblazers looked to take AD away. They made sure that AD's defender stayed with him on pick & rolls. It allowed Holiday to get to the basket at will in the 1st. Then the Blazers started doubling Holiday as he attacked the basket which gave the clearance for Holiday to dish to AD in the paint or easy lobs.

The success of this put the Blazers on their heels. It opened up the pick & pop for AD at the top of the key. Then Holiday started rolling off the AD screens & hitting jumpers himself. That in return opened up the kick outs to Mirotic in the 2nd when he started to heat up from 3.

In the 3rd, Gentry had them go from playing in the half court to pushing the ball in transition. Their offense went full on fast break mode every possession. With every Portland miss, it was push the ball & try to score within 10 seconds. Even on makes, the ball was right back up the court in 2 seconds. Gentry went for the kill & it paid off in gaining that 19 point lead. The Blazers didn't know what hit them. The look on the faces of their fans said it all. Completely took that crowd out of it for a large portion of the game.

12 hours ago, nolaspe said:

I be posting in the wrong thread earlier, but to repeat... Dat Boi Jrue!

This was the play of the game. Holiday was lights out defensively all night long.

nolaspe likes this