Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

Mr Tom Benson has Passed away

54 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, faceman said:

did you notice the hit Sam Mills put on Roger Craig at 4.10? 

Yep. Mills forced a fumble with the hit. Stopped Craig dead in his tracks too. It's a same he doesn't have his bust in Canton yet.

Saint ATN likes this

Because of Mr Benson, I have been able to participate as a hometown fan of the Saints since 1967 and the Pelicans since 2002.  This fact has had a profound impact on both my personal and business life and has brought me many of my best days of fun, action and passion.

Sports and fandom brought me healing and joy in some of the most difficult times in my life.  Thank you Mr. Benson for stepping up and keeping professional sports in New Orleans and also for your philanthropy. 

My condolences to the family, may Mr Benson R.I.P.!

Chuck, nolaspe and Saint ATN like this

I think it is a misnomer that he "kept" the New Orleans Saints in New Orleans after Katrina, he was full on in move to San Antonio mode until he had a conversation with Paul Tagliabue and he changed his tune after that meeting. If we anyone a debt to keeping the Saints in NOLA it is to Tags....

That said, he did right by the city after that transgression. 

RIP Mr. Benson Thanks for all you did for NOLA over the years...

Well, Mr Benson indeed had second thoughts about staying in New Orleans after Katrina.  His prized investment was at great risk and the stadium it played in and the city of its fans had been destroyed. 

I can indentify with him.  Our company had been flooded out, and our workforce had been scattered across the country.  My home and that of my parents and my entire community had been wiped out by flood waters.  I was of the opinion that we should move permanently to Baton Rouge, where we had located after the storm .  But our financial partner and bankers assured us that they would support us and that we would be instrumental to the rebuilding of New Orleans.  With that support we returned and our business thrived.  The NFL provided that same advice, assurances and support to Mr. Benson. 

I perfectly understand how Mr Benson felt after the storm and his decision process.  Any good businessman would consider his options. 

Edited by Boris
bigbrod81, Kinsey, faceman and 4 others like this

Hey Boris, nicely put but I think it goes deeper than that. But, I really don't want to get into it now as I feel it is inappropriate. In the end he did a ton of good things for NOLA, I think it is best to leave it at that....Cheers mate

No doubt he had his issues sfidc, (and as you say no need to get into that), and the State has supported his ventures.  At the end of the day these two teams are here because of him, and in his later years for sure he softened and was generous.  I think Gayle played a big role in that and that gives us hope going forward.

The deal with his children was probably even worse than Katrina, and unfortunately, I doubt we have seen the end of that issue.

I'll never forget the live press conference from the parking lot of one of his dealerships on Veterans Highway when it was announced he had purchased the Saints for a (then) staggering $75 million dollars.

There was a schoolbus that passed that coincided with some people honking their horns and I remember Mr. Benson stopping mid-sentence and saying something to the affect of "Look at that school bus full of kids...ain't that beautiful?"

Right then, I knew that this guys was a the real thing in terms of a man and a human being.

The world needs more Tom Bensons.

faceman, Richard, Dru and 2 others like this

55 minutes ago, herb said:

I'll never forget the live press conference from the parking lot of one of his dealerships on Veterans Highway when it was announced he had purchased the Saints for a (then) staggering $75 million dollars.

There was a schoolbus that passed that coincided with some people honking their horns and I remember Mr. Benson stopping mid-sentence and saying something to the affect of "Look at that school bus full of kids...ain't that beautiful?"

Right then, I knew that this guys was a the real thing in terms of a man and a human being.

The world needs more Tom Bensons.

I was there. I was a senior at Brother Martin at the time. Since Benson was a high profile alum (St. Aloysius...Martin’s predecessor), he invited the school to send a group of students and faculty and I was one of about 10 seniors that got to go.

One of those moments that you never forget.

Chuck, faceman, Saint ATN and 6 others like this

5 hours ago, fowlturdsNfoulplay said:

Forgive my ignorance for a moment, but since Mr. Benson has now moved to greener pastures, does this mean Gayle now is sole owner? Rita and the grandchildren are an after thought from this moment forward, correct?

Yes.  As it stands right now, Gayle Benson is the owner of the Saints and the Pelicans.  But expect legal challenges.  

In 2015 Benson amended his will to cut his daughter Renee' and her kids Rita and Ryan out of the will and removed shares of the Saints & Pelicans from trusts he had set up for them.

They challenged his mental capacity in 2015 and lost.

But with the value of his estate in the billions of dollars, I won't be surprised if they mount another legal challenge to try to claim some share, if not 100%, of the teams.

3 hours ago, Slidell Saint said:

Yes.  As it stands right now, Gayle Benson is the owner of the Saints and the Pelicans.  But expect legal challenges.  

In 2015 Benson amended his will to cut his daughter Renee' and her kids Rita and Ryan out of the will and removed shares of the Saints & Pelicans from trusts he had set up for them.

They challenged his mental capacity in 2015 and lost.

But with the value of his estate in the billions of dollars, I won't be surprised if they mount another legal challenge to try to claim some share, if not 100%, of the teams.

It was settled when the courts ruled Benson competent. He transferred his shares in San Antonio banks to Renee,Rita,and Ryan. They have been well compensated. If they do try another legal challenge, the lawyers will be the only ones to see any money. 

Chuck likes this

17 minutes ago, faceman said:

It was settled when the courts ruled Benson competent. He transferred his shares in San Antonio banks to Renee,Rita,and Ryan. They have been well compensated. If they do try another legal challenge, the lawyers will be the only ones to see any money. 

I agree.

But it still wouldn't surprise me to see them challenge the will.

Bonckers likes this