Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

Current cap space

15 posts in this topic

This is before the LB signing just now from the Jets. 

Any idea how much we'd get from cutting Fleener at the optimum time (I heard 6 million relief a while back if it's done in June or something), getting Fairley money back, and any legit shots at restructuring current players?

15 minutes ago, Kinsey said:

Any idea how much we'd get from cutting Fleener at the optimum time (I heard 6 million relief a while back if it's done in June or something), getting Fairley money back, and any legit shots at restructuring current players?

3 mil for Fleener if he's a post June 1 cut. 

Saint ATN and Kinsey like this

We are still dealing with dead cap of $6mil for Fairly, another $4.5 for Byrd and about $1 each Peterson, Anthony and Strief.. about $14 million total... Saints have really been dead cap leaders....  Fleener counts $8million against the cap this year... !  Graham signed for $10 million per with the Packers.

Edited by Boris

In 2017 we had dead cap of $27, in 2016 it was $42 million...2015 $34 million... that’s how you have a horrible defense , no depth and go 7-9!

one more crazy number, in addition to last year’s $27 million dead cap, we ended the year with over $35 million in Injured Reserve cap, (annual cap hit for players on IR), so the Saints had a staggering $62 million in Non-performing player salaries and should have been in the NFC Championship game !

Edited by Boris
OzSaint, Bonckers and bigbrod81 like this

28 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

We just re upped Morstead which I'm sure changed his 4.5 mill in cap hit.

I read this move frees up 3.5 - 4 million and will likely keep "Legatron" here until he retires.

Some details on the Saints’ $3 million salary-cap credit from DT Nick Fairley’s contract: The grievances filed by both sides have not been resolved yet, and no hearings have been scheduled yet. But the Saints paid out only half of Fairley’s $8 million signing bonus last year before discovering his heart condition, per source. Typically, signing bonus are pro-rated over the life of the contract, so Fairley’s signing bonus was originally scheduled to count $2 million per year against the Saints’ salary cap. Since they only paid out half of that bonus, they were only charged $1 million per year, and they were credited $1 million each for the three remaining years of Fairley’s deal. It remains possible that the Saints’ cap could change again in the future, once the grievances are determined.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2FtripletMike Triplett, ESPN Staff Writer
bigbrod81, Richard, Chuck and 2 others like this