Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dru

American Woman finds loophole to compete in, makes mockery of the Olympics.

10 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, herb said:

Why is this different from, say, "Eddie the Eagle"?

It's different to me for a few reasons.  One, she's not competing for her country.  Eddie Edwards at least represented the UK and actually performed the ski jump that was the event he entered.  The Tongan flag-bearer, Pita Taufatofua is another one that some have compared Elizabeth Swaney to.  But he again, is at least representing his country and did attempt to compete in the cross country ski event that he entered.  Swaney is an American who entered under the Hungarian flag because she was clearly not good enough to make Team USA.  Edwards also didn't game the system by seeking events to qualify in where he could finish last and still have a high enough finish to qualify.  Swaney sought out poorly attended halfpipe events with less than 30 participants so that she could have enough "top 30" finishes to qualify.  

Then Edwards at least did the ski jump.  She took a lazy run up and down the sides of the halfpipe like she was on the bunny slope of a vacation ski resort. No tricks, no jumps, twists.  Just up and down on each side like she was a New Orleanian on a Mardi Gras week ski-trip to Vail.

I don't know...it just doesn't sit well with me.  Especially since she seems to have a past of publicity stunts...running for California governor at age 19.

Saint ATN, faceman and Bonckers like this

I agree SS, this is her trying to grab more public recognition and add to her persona. Former Olympian who has run for Governor of California, etc. 

Agreed on all points Slidell Saint, honestly, it bugs me as well and it doesn't sit right with me. When I had a cycling team I had members try and get to the world-class level. We were an amateur feeder team, meaning our kids were on the cusp of being paid professional cyclists for a living. We trained them and got them into races against big budget teams. We raced against the best and lost mostly but we got our share of wins. These kids got exposure so these pro teams got to notice them and their results and thus they were signed ultimately by some of those teams. I was proud to send quite a few kids to the big leagues, no easy task I might add. It was the second highest level to achieve, first being Team USA. Over the past decade, only one kid has done it and he was almost on my team. He's currently a world champ on the track and is racing for the USA internationally and he just won a world title for the track.

This kid has put in DECADES of hard work to be where he is. He didn't half-ass it or quarter-ass it as this woman has gamed the system. I've watched countless dreams smashed on the rocks of hugely talented kids who I thought had the talent to make it, yet they didn't meet the standards in the end. I've held these kids as they've cried their eyes out as their dreams are snuffed out completely. It hurts, they just weren't good enough, that's life, it tough and you have to be tough to be there. To see someone game the system for some weak Olympic experience that should have never been just will never sit right for me. I never had the dream, I lived it thru those that have and I'm tickled to see Daniel Holloway get his world champion stripes. Those stripes are forever on his jerseys, out of respect for the goal achieved. Few ever sniff the chance to get one much less actually own it. It takes blood, sweat, tears, and amazing sacrifices on a daily basis to be consistent and world-class status. She can brag about her experience all she wants, she'll never have the integrity and respect of those that have actually sacrificed everything for the dream they've actually achieved. 

I hope Daniel has the consistent strength to make it 2 more years. To see him race and place a medal in the Olympics would make me beyond proud. Chances are tough for him to do that, but he's striving for it and I hope he's in the shape currently then. Time will tell. 

Bonckers and Slidell Saint like this

That is complete BS.

The IOC needs to take a hard line stance on the "switching countries" thing. If you do not have citizenship, you cannot compete for a country. Period.

International soccer does this the right way. If a person has dual citizenship (say America and Germany), they can play for either team. But, as soon as that person makes any international appearance for one, they are the LOCKED to that country and cannot in the future decide to go play for the other.

Bonckers, Dru and Saint ATN like this