Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kinsey

Acquiring Brees' heir: who and how?

199 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Boris said:

and that might be a TE based on where we pick. 

Ugh...unless one of those guys is the second coming of Tony Gonzalez (which they're not) , I don't see the value in taking a TE in the first round.  The offense was still top-five last year with Fleener/Hill/Hooman.  

46 minutes ago, zeke187 said:

Ugh...unless one of those guys is the second coming of Tony Gonzalez (which they're not) , I don't see the value in taking a TE in the first round.  The offense was still top-five last year with Fleener/Hill/Hooman.  

Ugh...Really?  Terrible 3rd down conversion rate and one of the least productive teams as to the TE position in the NFL.  We have a 37 year old, a concussion prone overpaid Fleener, and Hill and Hooman are backups at best. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fleener is gone before training camp. 

That being said the Saints can use help at every position on the field. I think we had around 20 players on IR at the end of the year. Having depth on the OL saved this team last year, along with a much improved Defense.

Bonckers likes this

I agree with not drafting a TE with the first pick, unless they are far and away the BPA which I don't think will be the case. Like WR's I think you can get a good one in the later rounds. I really think we should draft the best defender available, hopefully that would be an edge rushing DE, a DT or a CB...If we can get an impact edge rusher opposite Cam, with the secondary we have now? Turnover city...we'll see....

Slidell Saint, louder, Chuck and 1 other like this

The highest paid positions are the best value in the draft, QB, CB, OL, DL.... you can eliminate a big salary if you can get starters like we did at CB and OT last year.. you are correct that TE will not be the BPA at no 27, as the top prospects are in the 50’s in overall rankings.  We would have to trade up to the second round or trade down.   I still think TE is a position of need, along with an edge rusher to compliment Cam.   We have not had much success at that and DLs usually take time to develop.

15 hours ago, Boris said:

Ugh...Really?  Terrible 3rd down conversion rate and one of the least productive teams as to the TE position in the NFL.  We have a 37 year old, a concussion prone overpaid Fleener, and Hill and Hooman are backups at best. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fleener is gone before training camp. 

Yes ugh. I didn't say the position shouldn't be upgraded.  I just don't want it to be at the expense of a first round pick.

I'd be willing to say I'm in the minority here, but given our draft position, would it be so bad to trade down a few spots to perhaps get a 2nd rounder or another 3rd rounder to fill out the roster? I'm just curious as to how y'all think about that possibility.

I don't think we will come down in the first round. I think we will trade from back to get further up in the 3rd or the 2nd round. Think about it this is a young and talented team. DOes anyone here think we have 8 roster spots that need to be updated by rookies? I think we will move around and finish with 5-6 picks. Which honestly is fine with me. We have good young depth on this team. If we add players who can make the roster I'm all for it, but I don't see us adding 8 rokies plus at least one UDFA ike we always do. That would be 9-10 rookies on a yound deep strong roster already. 

It all depends how the draft falls. That will determine whether we move up or move back,it also depends on who's there at 27. If our board is blown up by then we should trade back and pickup more picks.

On 17/04/2018 at 8:38 PM, zeke187 said:

Yes ugh. I didn't say the position shouldn't be upgraded.  I just don't want it to be at the expense of a first round pick.

Bottom of the 1st for one of the high graded TEs wouldn't be that bad at all, if the player is a BPA type pick. Same goes for assignments like Center or a kicker (that last one - only if you're the Bucs!). Especially if the FO feels like the deeper class of TEs is too one dimensional. Let's face it, with Pick 27 we'll be extremely fortunate to get a great player at a premium position.

zeke187 and Chuck like this

56 minutes ago, Kinsey said:

with Pick 27 we'll be extremely fortunate to get a great player at a premium position.

I'd say we got one at 32 last year.  Hopefully lightning will strike twice.

Chuck, Dru, Kinsey and 2 others like this

We got two in the following two rounds too with Kamara and Williams. If this team keeps up the scouting we are going to kill it this year too. Remember we have a really raw prospect from last year too in Muhamad who was great in the pre seaosn. I am curious to see how he does this camp. 

faceman and zeke187 like this

On 4/17/2018 at 7:48 PM, Richard said:

I'd be willing to say I'm in the minority here, but given our draft position, would it be so bad to trade down a few spots to perhaps get a 2nd rounder or another 3rd rounder to fill out the roster? I'm just curious as to how y'all think about that possibility.

I'm all for this scenario.  If they could recoup the 3rd rounder they gave up for Kamara that would be sweet.  Unfortunately, in the Payton/Loomis era, rarely, if ever, do they trade down.

I don't see us trading the farm for a QB in this draft or reaching on any QB that could possibly be a bust.  I really think we'll stay put and wind up with someone like Marcus Davenport or Maurice Hurst in round 1. If one of the top OL players slide, we'd be wise to nab that.

We need DE/DL help. Hurst plays both DE and DT, so his versatility is a big value. Davenport may slide due to playing at UT San Antonio, but he'll probably be gone before our pick comes up.  He'd be a great bookend to Cam Jordan (who - in case you haven't noticed - will not have too many years left in the league).

Last year I might have been one of the lone voices advocating we take Ramczyk...not a sexy pick but an extremely solid one.

Building the trenches is almost never a bad idea in round 1.

louder, Saint ATN, Bonckers and 4 others like this

16 hours ago, zeke187 said:

I'm all for this scenario.  If they could recoup the 3rd rounder they gave up for Kamara that would be sweet.  Unfortunately, in the Payton/Loomis era, rarely, if ever, do they trade down.

WE gave up a 2nd rounder not a 3rd for Kamara. 

Hern I don't think Davenport will make it out of the top half of this draft. He is srguably the second best rusher in the draft. I would love to get him though. 

zeke187 likes this

The Saints have seldom traded down.  I agree we are more likely to trade up in the later rounds to go after a player graded highly.

The Saints filled a lot of their needs in Free Agency....  so they can afford to go after quality as opposed to quantity this year.    Of course, depth is very important, and that and special teams can be addressed through the draft.   I still say we need a punt returner, and I don't care to see Kamara returning kickoffs unless it is a vital game situation.

Kinsey and Chuck like this

56 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

WE gave up a 2nd rounder not a 3rd for Kamara. 

Doh! You are correct sir, gave up a 2 to move up and take him in the 3rd.  Would be nice to get that back.

Bonckers likes this

I agree, would lvoe to get it back, but not athe expense of a 5th year option. Honestly I would rather stay put at 27 and just take BPA than trade around with the lower picks back and forth if needed. 

Yeah with the way free agency played out for us we don't need to reach on players. We have needs but not pressing needs. All we need to do is let the draft fall to us and go bpa or if our board is blown up by then just trade down.

Bonckers likes this

On 4/19/2018 at 7:44 AM, herb said:

I don't see us trading the farm for a QB in this draft or reaching on any QB that could possibly be a bust.  I really think we'll stay put and wind up with someone like Marcus Davenport or Maurice Hurst in round 1. If one of the top OL players slide, we'd be wise to nab that.

We need DE/DL help. Hurst plays both DE and DT, so his versatility is a big value. Davenport may slide due to playing at UT San Antonio, but he'll probably be gone before our pick comes up.  He'd be a great bookend to Cam Jordan (who - in case you haven't noticed - will not have too many years left in the league).

Last year I might have been one of the lone voices advocating we take Ramczyk...not a sexy pick but an extremely solid one.

Building the trenches is almost never a bad idea in round 1.

Well, I did not see us trading so much to move up as I assumed any trade up would mean we were going after a QB.

I did get the position right and thought Davenport *might* be our pick.

Saint ATN, Bonckers, zeke187 and 1 other like this

9 hours ago, herb said:

Well, I did not see us trading so much to move up as I assumed any trade up would mean we were going after a QB.

I did get the position right and thought Davenport *might* be our pick.

You did indeed get Davenport right....    at the cost of a QB!

Bonckers likes this

1 hour ago, Boris said:

.... and its rather obvious that the Saints will not replace Brees through the draft, (at least a high draft choice).

At least not yet.

My personal belief is that there is salvageable gold in another team's castoffs.

40 minutes ago, herb said:

At least not yet.

My personal belief is that there is salvageable gold in another team's castoffs.

As far as QBs go,  there are exceptions, but the majority of the most successful are 1st rounders:

Tom Brady - 6th rounder 

Drew Brees -  1st player in the second round (32 overall)

Aaron Rodgers -  1st rounder, 24th

Ben Roethlisberger - 1st Rounder, 11th overall

Carson Wentz - 1st Rounder, 2nd overall

Russell Wilson -  3rd round

Matt Ryan - 1st rounder, 3rd overall

Cam Newton - 1st rounder, 1st overall

Matthew Stafford, 1st rounder, 1st overall

Andrew Luck - 1st rounder, 1st overall

Phillip Rivers - 1st rounder, 4th

Eli Manning - 1st rounder,  1st overall

Kirk Cousins - 4th rounder

Jared Goff - 1st, 1st

Alex Smith - 1st, 1st

Deshaun Watson - 1st, 12th overall

Dak Prescott - 4th rounder

Edited by Boris
Bonckers likes this

On 4/27/2018 at 11:07 AM, herb said:

At least not yet.

I liked Bryce Petty coming out of college but thought he was a project and still think the Jets did nothing to help him.  I would love to see them try to get him and develop him.  

The other part to consider is they might think they can get a couple more years out of Brees and might as well try to win now when you have the known commodity.  Any pick is a risk but QB is a higher risk.  The thought could be we will try to go all in until Brees retires and then we might have a bad year or two and hope to find a QB with one of those picks.  Hard to complain about not getting a QB in the draft this year because with what we had to gave up for Davenport, just imagine how much more would we had to have give up to get to one of the higher picks?    

Richard likes this