Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kinsey

Acquiring Brees' heir: who and how?

199 posts in this topic

I liked my kid out of WVU but he's staying for his senior year, smartly. Since Mayfield is in the same division I've seen my share of his talent and he has the tools. He's cocky too, which rubs me the wrong way but seems to rub Payton the right way. Payton knows QB talent, he's got a proven track record and he sees the capability of Mayfield as well. It seems like a win-win. A year under Brees would do him good and Brees fire will rub off on this kid. 

Some has us taking Mayfield but some has us taking Jackson from Louisville. What you guys think of him. If the choice was between him or Mayfield,I take Mayfield. What you guys think

I think Jackson is way overrated. He has not lived up to the hype, and he didn't even finish last year strong. He start out 2016 NCAA season really strong, but limped his way to a Heisman. This past year he did not play well, maybe it was supporting cast, but I wouldn't spend more than a 3rd round pick on him personally. I'm not sold he can run a pro style offense honestly. 

I agree,whoever drafts him will have to commit to a certain style of offense. He's excites you with his legs but he will let you down with his arm. Fig Newton reads defenses better than him,if Jackson's first read isn't there he's running. But somebody will take him.. can't remember his name that cat from UCLA is one that I like. He has the smarts,a big arm,with a little work his accuracy will improve but I don't think He'll be there for us.

Bonckers likes this

13 hours ago, The gun slinger said:

Josh Rosen is his name

You say that Mayfield lacks maturity yet you are willing to take Rosen? I will let you on a bit of info. There is nothing wrong with Mayfield's maturity. His work ethic is off the charts plus he is team leader. His Sooner teammates would run through a brick wall for him. The only issue with Mayfield is that he can be too fiery at times but I would much rather too much fire than not enough or none at all. (Garrett Grayson)

Rosen on the otherhand is said to not be well liked by his UCLA teammates. He is known to be a d*ck & alienated himself from a large portion of the Bruins roster. He is said be arrogant & not well liked on campus period but he has been this way since high school when he rated the number 1 QB prospect in the country. He was called Chosen Rosen. Rosen's arrogance & cockiness cost him a scholarship at Stanford where he really wanted to go to school. He also had a well documented disagreement with Trent Dilfer while at the Elite 11.

Reality is that, Baker Mayfield is the better lockeroom guy who oozes leadership whether it's by example or being vocal. On the otherhand, Rosen is the one QB prospect in this draft who has the highest chances of being a lockeroom cancer.

UCLA QB Rosen’s demeanor reportedly cost him offer from Stanford

020315-CFB-St-John-Bosco-quarterback-Jos

Josh Rosen reportedly lost offer from 'dream school' Stanford because he was 'overbearing' at camp.

Stephen R. Sylvanie/Stephen R. Sylvanie-USA TODAY Sp

When describing UCLA freshman quarterback Josh Rosen, "modest" is not often a word that first comes to mind.

Rosen has led the Bruins to a 4-1 record, earning the starting gig as a true freshman. He is the first true freshman to start for UCLA in program history. According to OC Register’s Joey Kaufman, however, Rosen’s "dream school" was Stanford. In the feature, Kaufman mentions Rosen’s confidence reportedly lost him a scholarship offer. 

"Multiple accounts say it was that demeanor that cost him a scholarship offer to Stanford, his dream school, when he visited Palo Alto for a camp before his junior season two years ago," reports Kaufman. "He was perceived to be overbearing."

Rosen was never offered by Stanford. The quarterback faces his former "dream school" on Thursday night.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ucla-bruins-stanford-cardinal-josh-rosen-dream-school-101515

Dilfer: Josh Rosen needs to ‘buy in’ to coaching

ESPN analyst and Elite 11 head man Trent Dilfer had some praise and some strong words of warning when evaluating 247Sports Composite five-star QB Josh Rosen during The Opening in Beaverton, Ore. Dilfer thinks the UCLA commit has all the tools, but being more open to coaching would benefit him as he moves to the next level.

“He looks what people think a quarterback should look like,” Dilfer said. “He’s big, he’s strong, he makes the very difficult look easy. He’s super, super smart, but I think it is almost a curse for him. Josh is a guy who has yet to buy in to what I am preaching. He’s still a guy who keeps telling me how they do it at John Bosco.

“It’s funny because I’ve sat him down, I’ve complimented him on how much he knows. He definitely understands defenses, but what Josh has to learn before the takes the keys over to a major college program is that it’s not about knowing more than the coach, it’s about doing it the coach’s way. And that’s something hopefully we’ll see in the next few days because he has one of our best coaches in (former NFL QB) Charlie Frye coaching him and if he was wise he would listen to what Charlie tells him.”

Rosen finished ranked 11th in the final Elite 11 rankings which measures how each QB performed in all aspects of the camp, from the Elite 11 QB camp through the 7-on-7 competition in The Opening.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Bolt/Dilfer-Josh-Rosen-needs-to-buy-in-to-coaching-29566108

gty_624467402_86838368-e1514427198196.jp

Jags' Dede Westbrook shares stories about how Baker Mayfield is such a great leader

The Jaguars’ Dede Westbrook reflected on his two years playing for the Oklahoma Sooners for The Players’ Tribune in a piece that was published on Wednesday, a week before the Sooners face Georgia in the Rose Bowl on New Year’s Day.

A few of the stories Westbrook told involved senior quarterback Baker Mayfield and how he was able to see what an incredible leader the former walk-on is (he also shares what it was like to be nominated for the Heisman alongside Mayfield and what it was like to hear Mayfield won it this year).

The Jags wide receiver said that Mayfield would drive him to practice and take him home almost every day because “the only thing he cared about was being a teammate and making our group of guys better.”

Westbrook added that Mayfield “might not even be human for all I know. Humans aren’t that good at everything.”

Another moment Westbrook shared was from after they lost the 2015 Orange Bowl. He said that was when Mayfield “showed his true colors.”

But it was in the locker room after we lost the 2015 Orange Bowl in the semifinals of the College Football Playoff that he showed his true colors.

We got beat by 20. Our worst loss of the season in our biggest game. The whole team was down. Seniors were sulking. The room was silent. But Baker — he just had this determined look on his face.

He was the first guy to stand up. And he put the loss on himself. Every mistake the team had made, every dropped pass — it didn’t matter — Baker put it all on his back. Everyone knew it hadn’t been Baker Mayfield who lost us the game, but he was our leader, and he wanted to be the guy held accountable.

Westbrook said going into the next season, they were excited and ready. The Sooners went on to beat Auburn in the Sugar Bowl.

Read Westbrook’s full story at the The Players’ Tribune

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/jaguars-dede-westbrook-baker-mayfield-oklahoma-sooners-football-leader-stories

Saint ATN likes this

On 2/12/2018 at 10:07 AM, Dru said:

A good QB can be found in many places, but there is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to start.  One doesn't choose an anomaly to prove their theorem.

How about here.  QB is the most difficult position to predict.  To say anyone is bad at drafting QBs, well you may as well include the entire league.  To pick out a few anomalies, such as Brady or Russell Wilson would be betting on some long, long odds.  Derek Carr was a 2nd rounder, not 3rd, and 36 overall, just 4 spots away from being a 1st.  Brees was chosen as the first pick in the 2nd round.  Yet, by in large, the vast majority of franchise QBs have been 1st round selections.  That's just history.

Well said. I know fans love to point out where Tom Brady was drafted but what no one ever mentions is that how much of an anomaly Brady was/is. While its great to talk about or agreat dream to wish for by every fanbase come draft time for those needing QBs, it's not realistic at all. The majority of Hall of Fame QBs are 1st round picks for a reason.

Also, fans love to point out how many 1st round QBs end up as busts but there are two points I would like to touch regarding that issue. One, most times teams will reach for a QB or too often they become infatuated with physical tools while overlooking the critical intangibles that allow a QB to be good/great in the NFL. (Leadership abilities, work ethic, intelligence, ability to make correct decisions in micro seconds, coach ability) If you look at many of the biggest QBs in NFL history, physical tools were never in question yet several of the intangibles that I just listed were never there to begin with but that was somehow ignored by the teams who drafted them.

That brings me to may second point. NFL organizations are littered with executives who have had success in other business avenues while having no background in talent evaluating or any prior football knowledge period. So many times these people make decisions based on looking at the draft from a business perspective. So often they completely ignore the breakdown of their scouts or have scouts who have no business being scouts. They will draft a QB who has physical gifts & may have an infectious personality in order to sell season tickets. (Put butts in the seats) That line of thinking almost never seems to work out.

The teams that it get right, have real scouts & executives are able to trust the evaluations of their scouts. Secondly, they place a high value on those intangibles that I mentioned above especially at the QB position. Use our recent drafts as an example. We hit home runs not because we drafted the most talented players but we've drafted talented players with check marks in the intangible boxes as well. 

Gil Brandt is the Godfather of scouting. I always refer back to what he said he looks for when it comes to draft prospects.

We had to have something in there to program, so we had to find out, what were the characteristics of a football player? There were five characteristics that were common to every position: 1) character, 2) mental alertness, 3) quickness, agility and balance, 4) strength and explosion and 5) competitiveness and aggressiveness. Then we had to find out position specifics, which are obviously a lot different for a wide receiver than they are for an offensive lineman, and we weighted those characteristics. So say you are a defensive lineman and you get a 5 in strength and explosion and a 5 in quickness, that’s 10; and I’m a quarterback, and I get an 8 in mental alertness and a 1 in strength and explosion, that’s only 9 points. But because of the weighting of the most dominant characteristics for success at the position, which would be mental alertness for a quarterback, I would be a better player than you.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/26/gil-brandt-nfl-draft-history

Edited by bigbrod81

Count me as a voice of dissent, but I truly believe drafting a franchise QB in the 1st round during this era is a fool's gamble.

Quick...don't look...who was the most recently drafted QB that won a Super Bowl for the team that drafted him? The answer...drum roll...is Russel Wilson.  The next most recent 3 were Eli Manning, Tom Brady, and Payton Manning (Roethlesberger might be in there also).

Guess who we did not draft?  That's right...Drew Brees.

The era of the 1983 QB haul in the draft is over. Free agency killed it. Free agency gave us Drew Brees, not the draft.

Anyone that thinks we can replace Drew Brees by punting away multiple draft picks needs to put the crack pipe down.  It won't happen and in no way, shape, or form should we entertain any idea of packaging a bunch of draft picks to move up and draft 'the next Drew Brees'.  That Mike Ditka / Rickey Williams diddly-poo got run out of New Orleans on a rail years ago.  And rightfully so.

On what planet should the Saints mortgage the future on an unproven QB who - on balance - will likely be an overall disappointment through his initial rookie contract and will not have proven justification for a franchise QB contract by the time we need to either ink the deal or let him walk? 

I'd rather use those picks to solidify a strong team on both sides of the ball and go get a Trent Dilfer rather than draft a "can't miss" (lol) Blake Bortles type. Seriously...look at the QBs drafted in the 1st round this decade. For every Carson Wentz, there are multiple QBs like Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, and Robert Griffen III.

A fool's gamble.

You really think that is the best chess move for the Saints?

>>>>>>>> EDIT <<<<<<<<<<

I guess Nick Foles was the most recent Super Bowl winning QB that played for the team that drafted him. He was a 3rd round Pick, as was Wilson, and Brady was a 6th round pick.

I still say it's a fool's gamble.

Edited by herb
louder, zeke187 and Richard like this

As long as we continue to draft solidly as we have the last two years, as Herb says, we can build a team that can still be a contender with a "game manager" type of QB. I totally agree with his premise on this, the QB position is probably the most difficult position to draft for due to the numerous variables involved and the offensive style of play utilized most in college is not conducive to evaluating the transition to NFL style offenses. One of the unfortunate aspects of a QB's apprenticeship is that most of them are thrown into the fire too quickly and a large number of cases when you need to have a QB that is competent and confident you see them get destroyed and they collapse under the pressure. Obviously there exceptions to this -Wentz, Carr, Mariota, for example, but teams such as Cleveland, for example, that are so abysmally bad when it comes to drafting a QB, that you witness the destruction of a player that could be competent anywhere else.

Hopefully we can acquire a QB that will fit into our system that won't break the bank and allow us to stay out of cap hell in the future to build up the other components of the team that will allow us to remain contenders without going broke in the process-New England is the template for that model and we should adhere to following that model in the Post-Brees era.

louder likes this

9 hours ago, herb said:

I'd rather use those picks to solidify a strong team on both sides of the ball

I'm solidly in this camp.  If the Saints want to remain competitive, long term, then I believe this is the right path to take.  This years draft haul has established a nucleus in which to build for long term success.

14 hours ago, herb said:

The era of the 1983 QB haul in the draft is over. Free agency killed it. Free agency gave us Drew Brees, not the draft.

Had the Saints not blown their 1st round pick in trading for Bruce Clark from Green Bay, they could have had Dan Marino in that 1983 draft. Had they done so, how many rings do you think the franchise would have accumulated during the Mora/Dome Patrol era?

There are several of us here not saying just to draft any QB. We are squarely on the Baker Mayfield bandwagon for reasons we have mentioned over & over again. He's just too perfect of a fit to not do everything possible to draft him & if that means moving up then so be it. I can't speak for other posters but I don't think anyone is promoting taking a QB or trading up to take a QBs just for the sake of taking one. It's one guy & one guy only we view as worth moving up for. If we are to believe the reports from the Senior Bowl then our head coach may feel the same as well. It's not just us or Payton who may feel this way either.

NFL exec: Saints should draft Baker Mayfield

Has the time come to look past Drew Brees?

Drew Brees led the NFL’s No. 2 overall offense and established the league’s best ever completion percentage (72) this season, but the New Orleans Saints quarterback is 39 years old and he’s not getting any younger.

With that in mind, the Saints could be scouting Brees’ eventual successor.

According to an least one NFL executive, the franchise should take a close look at the winner of the 83rd Heisman Trophy: Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Baker Mayfield.

“Drew Brees is getting up there in age,” the anonymous executive told NFL Media’s Daniel Jeremiah, “and Mayfield would benefit from learning under him for a couple years before taking over. He fits that system well.”

Mayfield (6-foot-1, 220 pounds) certainly resembles Brees in his ability to air it out downfield, and with some considerable accuracy, passing for 12,005 yards in his Oklahoma career, compiling 117 touchdowns against 20 interceptions, and boasting a 70 percent completion mark.

He’s rushed for an additional 18 touchdowns and for 892 more yards.

Mayfield is a highly athletic prospect who has the ability to extend plays by taking off from the pocket and gaining yards himself, but some scouts are concerned that he will rely on that athleticism too much and in the wrong situations against faster NFL edge rushers, stunting his development as a pro passer.

Most scouts will also raise doubts about what is considered his below-average height, but if any team would overlook that it would be the Saints, who have done well enough with the six-foot Brees craning his neck to look over his linemen over the last decade as he broke numerous NFL records for passing.

Head coach Sean Payton is also reportedly a “believer” in Mayfield, intrigued by the Sooners quarterback’s competitiveness, attitude, and approach to the game. Payton and Mayfield would be kindred spirits: “Payton likes the wicked competitive streak Baker Mayfield brings to everything,” notes Yahoo Sports’ Charles Robinson.

At this stage, this is all pure speculation. The team still has designs on retaining Brees when he becomes a free agent and the quarterback has repeatedly stated he wants to remain in New Orleans.

But with a prospect like Mayfield coming out of the college ranks, and a decision needed on the future of the quarterback position, it’s safe to say the Saints’ brass have been looking at the Heisman winner and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/Bolt/New-Orleans-Saints-should-draft-Baker-Mayfield-NFL-exec-says-111735935

The Saints have not drafted a QB in the 1st round since 1971. (Archie Manning) Let that sink in for a minute. With Brees on the back end of his career, the time has come.

14 hours ago, herb said:

That Mike Ditka / Rickey Williams diddly-poo got run out of New Orleans on a rail years ago.  And rightfully so.

Stop man. Ditka was run out of town for being an idiot. He offered those picks away instead of bargaining for the best deal. Look at what KC gave up last draft to move up from 27 to 11. That's what we would most likely have to give up to get in position to take Mayfield. (1st rounder in 2017, 1st rounder in 2018, 3rd rounder 2017) That isn't mortgaging the future, that's a wise investment. It would be slightly more, value wise, than what we lost (back to back 2nd rounders) from the Bountygate saga.

14 hours ago, herb said:

I guess Nick Foles was the most recent Super Bowl winning QB that played for the team that drafted him. He was a 3rd round Pick, as was Wilson, and Brady was a 6th round pick.

I still say it's a fool's gamble.

Without Wentz play this past season, Foles gets no shot to win the Super Bowl. Ask Philly if they feel moving up for Wentz was a fool's gamble. Ask Hue Jackson how it feels to not have control while others made the decision to trade back/pass on Carson Wentz & Deshaun Watson. 

You are my bro Herb but what are you literally saying is that no team should ever draft a QB in the 1st round. Just sit back for a second & realize how ridiculous that really sounds.

Saint ATN, Bonckers, Drew and 1 other like this

What would we have to give up in order to move up and get Baker?  Would it still be worth it?  We need linemen on both sides of the ball, Don't know if I want to give away our draft to move up and get him.

15 hours ago, herb said:

Quick...don't look...who was the most recently drafted QB that won a Super Bowl for the team that drafted him? The answer...drum roll...is Russel Wilson.  The next most recent 3 were Eli Manning, Tom Brady, and Payton Manning (Roethlesberger might be in there also).

I know the ultimate judge of a QB and team is the Super Bowl, but there is more to winning a Super Bowl than just the QB.  You do however need a QB to have a Pro Bowl season to have a shot to win a Super Bowl so I think the better qualifier would be to look at the Pro Bowl rosters and see how many of those players were drafted by their teams.  The percentage goes way up in comparison.  A lot of luck goes into winning a Super Bowl, not near as much luck goes into being a perennial pro bowler.  I think the only luck in that is being drafted by a team that can develop a QB. That being said, I truly believe a lot of the busts are due to the teams not the player.  

Bonckers, bigbrod81, Dru and 1 other like this

Great point Drew, and I would add Herb the only reason we got Brees, and no one else wanted him was because of the shoulder injury remember Miami passed on him. How many Pro Bowl QB's go to free agency? This year will be the first time for it to happen with Kirk Cousins since Peyton went to Denver before that it was Bret Favre. Now I know players who have  been to the pro bowl in the past move on at the end of their careers. Like McNabb, Foles (who everyone else passed on), etc. Good to great QB's do not usually become available later in the draft, or in free agency. I think we can all agree the time to add a young QB to groom is now. I'm sorry if this team drafts to build depth and a good roster any QB drafted will not be able to start day 1. That is what it sounds like you guys believe who are opposed to the drafting an heir this year. 

Think about it if we draft for depth BPA and a good QB does not fall to us for an unforeseen reason we will not have a capable starter when Drew retires. If big IF we do not draft an heir prior to Brees retirement what will happen is we will be good enough to go 7-9 or 8-8 for several years missing out on the day one starter capable players. Logically we need to have someone on the team this year learning the ropes getting seasoning prior to Brees retirement. JMO. Now maybe just maybe we get lucky and that QB falls to 27 great, but I don't want to take that chance personally. 

bigbrod81 likes this

I have mixed feelings on this issue. I like Baker Mayfield...alot...still, you never know, alot of great prospects have turned out not so great over the years particularly at the qb position. On the other hand, the fact that Brod and Face believe this is the guy to replace Brees makes me think he probably is. 

If they can get in position to draft him by giving up their 1st rounder and next years 1st and 3rd I could live with that. One thing that I think is a rather large misconception is the likelihood of winning a SB with the Trent Dilfer types. It is very much the exception rather than the rule....

Herb, love you man, but did you know that 13 our of the last 17 SB's have been won by qb's whose team drafted them....

bigbrod81 likes this

On 2/12/2018 at 10:07 AM, Dru said:

A good QB can be found in many places, but there is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to start.  One doesn't choose an anomaly to prove their theorem.

How about here.  QB is the most difficult position to predict.  To say anyone is bad at drafting QBs, well you may as well include the entire league.  To pick out a few anomalies, such as Brady or Russell Wilson would be betting on some long, long odds.  Derek Carr was a 2nd rounder, not 3rd, and 36 overall, just 4 spots away from being a 1st.  Brees was chosen as the first pick in the 2nd round.  Yet, by in large, the vast majority of franchise QBs have been 1st round selections.  That's just history.

Nonyt, I hate to be piling on here, but Dru  is right. History says if you want a great player, you better draft him in the top half of round 1, 

bigbrod81 and Bonckers like this

7 hours ago, bigbrod81 said:

Had the Saints not blown their 1st round pick in trading for Bruce Clark from Green Bay, they could have had Dan Marino in that 1983 draft. Had they done so, how many rings do you think the franchise would have accumulated during the Mora/Dome Patrol era?

To quote Jim Mora: "Coulda, shoulda, woulda."  Who's to say we would not have drafted Tony Hunter instead? 

Ditka was run out of town for being an idiot. He offered those picks away instead of bargaining for the best deal. Look at what KC gave up last draft to move up from 27 to 11.

Ditka got obsessed with a single player and did what he thought it would take to ensure he got that player. It actually sounds what a few people here are advocating, no?

Remember when we traded multiple picks for Steve Walsh?  Who's to say the end result won't be the same?

what are you literally saying is that no team should ever draft a QB in the 1st round

Guess what round Drew Brees was drafted in? How about Tom Brady? Nick Foles? Russel Wilson? Joe Montana? Roger Staubach? Kurt Warner?

I'm not saying that no team should ever draft a QB in the 1st round. What I am saying is that the data does not support that doing so ensures future success.  What I am also saying is that we need to solidify the core of our team and build additional depth while we still have Drew.

This offseason will see a number of QBs up for grabs in free agency.  All of these QBs have actually experienced life under NFL centers. That is a hell of a lot more valuable than potential. 

5 hours ago, Bonckers said:

Great point Drew, and I would add Herb the only reason we got Brees, and no one else wanted him was because of the shoulder injury remember Miami passed on him.

What matters is that we took the chance that no other team would. We ponied up free agency contract money to get him because he was more of a proven commodity than an unproven Matt Lienart.

Sam Bradford is a more proven commodity than an unproven Baker Mayfield. Just saying.

nonyt likes this

I'm going to repeat what someone said from another board: "

Don't worry about the QB position. The road to hell is littered with teams who continually reach for bad QB's year after year. Build the strongest team you can and the QB will appear."

Don't know if the last part is true but it's better than reaching and missing on a QB. 

1 hour ago, nonyt said:

The road to hell is littered with teams who continually reach for bad QB's year after year. 

I think we all agree with that part.  The determining factor is the team's ability to accurately determine if Mayfield or some other QB is that person.  I'm sure we all feel what the team needs to 100% avoid is the thinking that they must find a replacement this year because that is when the problems arise.  Fact is, drafts are like an investment in the stock market; good research and studying should produce good results, however it will never be 100%.  The way the draft was handled last year certainly can put us a little more at ease with going into this draft and I'm not referring to the success they had in the players they drafted but the move they didn't make.  Assuming the rumors were true that the Saints liked Mahomes, they didn't trade up to get them even though we know the team is willing to pull draft trades for who they isolate.  That tells us that the team wasn't enamored by him and had Lattimore rated higher.   The team not trading up for Mahomes puts me at ease with the thought that this team will not reach for a QB.  If they do pull a move off to trade up for Mayfield, I have to feel that they are confident that he is their Carson Wentz.  If they don't make a move, I have to feel they had questions that made them feel it wasn't worth the gamble.

Dru, Saint ATN, faceman and 3 others like this

BTW, the number of Hall of Fame players drafted by their rounds is:

1st round: 115

2nd round: 36

3rd round: 24

4th round: 11

5th round: 7

6th round: 2

7th round: 9

Even though great players are picked in all rounds and some go undrafted, the numbers show that the percentages go up in first round picks. 

faceman and bigbrod81 like this

1 hour ago, Slidell Saint said:

Brady is going to wipe out that 6/7 goose egg. 😀

True, and Kurt Warner was undrafted.  I didn't look at any 8th rounds or later when I was drilling down the info so there might be a few others but the point still holds true.

faceman and Bonckers like this

3 hours ago, Drew said:

BTW, the number of Hall of Fame players drafted by their rounds is:

1st round: 115

2nd round: 36

3rd round: 24

4th round: 11

5th round: 7

6th round: 2

7th round: 9

Even though great players are picked in all rounds and some go undrafted, the numbers show that the percentages go up in first round picks. 

3 hours ago, Drew said:

The HOF QB numbers are:

1st round: 15

2nd round: 3

3rd round: 3

4th round: 2

5th round: 1

6th and 7th round: 0

giphy.gif

faceman likes this

4 hours ago, Drew said:

I think we all agree with that part.  The determining factor is the team's ability to accurately determine if Mayfield or some other QB is that person.  I'm sure we all feel what the team needs to 100% avoid is the thinking that they must find a replacement this year because that is when the problems arise.  Fact is, drafts are like an investment in the stock market; good research and studying should produce good results, however it will never be 100%.  The way the draft was handled last year certainly can put us a little more at ease with going into this draft and I'm not referring to the success they had in the players they drafted but the move they didn't make.  Assuming the rumors were true that the Saints liked Mahomes, they didn't trade up to get them even though we know the team is willing to pull draft trades for who they isolate.  That tells us that the team wasn't enamored by him and had Lattimore rated higher.   The team not trading up for Mahomes puts me at ease with the thought that this team will not reach for a QB.  If they do pull a move off to trade up for Mayfield, I have to feel that they are confident that he is their Carson Wentz.  If they don't make a move, I have to feel they had questions that made them feel it wasn't worth the gamble.

Very well put.

faceman and Bonckers like this