Bonckers

Free agency talk

344 posts in this topic

And Jarvis Landry says Gimmie the Loot!

$15.1 million average.  

Browns signed Jarvis Landry to a five-year, $75.5 million extension through 2023.
ESPN's Josina Anderson was the first to report the impending deal. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the contract includes $47 million guaranteed, and Landry is now the fifth-highest paid receiver in the league based on average salary. It is a shocking price to pay for a volume-based player who never elevated Miami's passing attack past mediocre, but Landry at worst can be a reliable safety blanket for whichever quarterback Cleveland selects with the No. 1 overall pick.
Saint ATN likes this

5 minutes ago, Dru said:

And Jarvis Landry says Gimmie the Loot!

$15.1 million average.  

Browns signed Jarvis Landry to a five-year, $75.5 million extension through 2023.
ESPN's Josina Anderson was the first to report the impending deal. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the contract includes $47 million guaranteed, and Landry is now the fifth-highest paid receiver in the league based on average salary. It is a shocking price to pay for a volume-based player who never elevated Miami's passing attack past mediocre, but Landry at worst can be a reliable safety blanket for whichever quarterback Cleveland selects with the No. 1 overall pick.

Well, the Browns have a LOT of cap room to waste and in typical Browns faction, it's an overpay, greatly in this case. 

The gun slinger and Bonckers like this

I agree ATN, the dude deserved to get paid, but that was a waste of money. I mean they could ahve gotten 2 WR's of similar capability for that money. 

I know he was really good at one point, but I haven't paid attention the last couple fo years. I would imagine he has slowed, he also has stayed out of th eheadlines. Someone could get a good 3rd down receiver if he comes cheap. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/13/cowboys-cut-dez-bryant/

Cowboys cut Dez Bryant

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 13, 2018, 12:31 PM EDT
gettyimages-873347310-e1521244530785.jpg
Getty Images

It’s Dez Bryant‘s last day as a Cowboy.

The Cowboys are cutting Bryant today, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

That’s the decision that makes the most sense, given Bryant’s big contract and small production. Bryant is due a base salary of $12.5 million this year, and his level of play simply doesn’t justify anything close to that kind of salary anymore.

Although Bryant was once among the league’s elite receivers, he hasn’t been the same player since signing a five-year, $70 million contract three years ago.

Bryant will now become an unrestricted free agent and will shop his services to receiver-needy teams. He’ll surely find a market for his services, just not a market willing to pay him $12.5 million this season.

I know a lot of people are giving Ryan Pace and the Bears grief about how they bungled the RFA process. 

But as for us, I think we made a mistake in signing him to a two year contract instead of three.  If you like the kid, then why not get him to a bit of a longer term deal.  Also, since we were playing the game of signing a RFA to an offer sheet, a longer term contract may have been more bold, making it more likely he would come sign an offer sheet with us rather than Baltimore and Indy (who I think were the other two teams reported to be interested in him).  A three year contract would have given him a bit more stability and shows a greater investment on our part, it also would have made it less likely that the Bears would match it.  

Why does any of this matter?  Because now his contract will expire at the same time MT's contract does.  If he plays lights out, that could make for a difficult offseason trying to pay both of them.  Lastly, because he's coming off the injury, if it lingers, we'd have a little bit more time to see him in action and get production out of him.  If we were wary of his injury, then why even take the chance of signing him to that sizable of a dollar figure?

Oh well, we got the kid in the building now.  Let's see what he can do and we'll worry about it two years from now I guess.  I'm just thinking out loud.

Cowboys release Dez Bryant.  Clear $8.5 million in space.

While I'm discussing teams making strange decisions, the timing of this one is certainly strange.  If they had done this earlier, they could have been in the running for some of the WRs who have already signed with other teams or got traded.  The Cowboys can say what they will about him not living up to his contract and injuries played a part, but the fact remains he was still their leading receiver last season in receptions, targets, yards and TDs.  Why not release him earlier, get the cap money and go after another WR at the very beginning of FA?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cowboys-release-star-wr-dez-bryant-after-8-seasons/ar-AAvR16V?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

20 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

kinda ironic coming from him. 

Prior to the Bears game this past season, I posted an article where Hicks said he believes he was misunderstood & misused which lead to him getting traded. Honestly there was wrong done by both sides that lead to the Hicks trade.

Akiem Hicks, cast off by Saints, now a destructive force for Bears

Fifty-nine players were paid more money in free agency than Akiem Hicks a year ago and 49 received larger guarantees.

A little more than 24 months after being dumped in a trade by the Saints, Hicks will return to New Orleans on Sunday for the first time as possibly the best free-agent signing of 2016, and as the player the Saints once envisioned — a destructive force on the defensive line.

Bears general manager Ryan Pace has had his swings and misses in three years of free agency and Hicks represents a home run, a building block in the prime of his career, which is difficult to find in the NFL's shopping season. Hicks is off to the best start of his career with six sacks (one shy of the career high he set last year), nine quarterback hits and 24 tackles, which leads the defensive line.

The Bears are reaping the benefits of luring Hicks originally with a two-year, $10 million contract, half of which was guaranteed. He's the player the Bears thought they might be getting — a massive playmaker at 6-foot-5, 332 pounds.

The Saints traded Hicks on Sept. 30, 2015, shipping him to the Patriots in for tight end Michael Hoomanawanui. It was a Wednesday and Hicks had finished a padded practice with the Saints and was in the defensive line meeting room when coach Sean Payton summoned him. They went to an adjacent room.

"He says, 'We made a move, Akiem. We traded you to New England,'" Hicks said. "It was crushing to my spirit. I felt like, 'Man, am I really not good at football anymore? Am I just going to fall by the wayside and become another guy that came into the league for three, four years and is out?' There was a point where I thought, 'Man, this could be over, maybe I am not the guy I thought I was.' When a team trades you during your contract year, it's stifling. It hurts.

"It was tough to swallow. I had to eat it. I went upstairs to say bye to the guys and it was emotional for me because I felt like New Orleans was home. Every guy that gets drafted to a team thinks he's going to spend his whole career there. That's how I saw New Orleans and it was crushing and one thing that they told me upstairs was, 'Ah, man, you've got an opportunity to go win a Super Bowl.' At that point, I was like, 'Dude, I'm here. These are the guys I have been with the last three years. These are my brothers.'"

A different player

600x338

Chicago Bears defensive end Akiem Hicks, right, is off to the best start of his career with six sacks.

(Jose M. Osorio / Chicago Tribune)

Hicks had been benched in the second half of a home loss to the Buccaneers two weeks before the trade. He played the next week, but his snap count was down and Bobby Richardson, an undrafted rookie free agent, was getting more action. The tape isn't pretty, but the Saints had converted Hicks to a 4-3 defensive end in training camp that summer, a move that still confounds him.

"It wasn't a good situation," said Hicks, a third-round pick of the Saints in 2012.

The Patriots were clearly going off what they had seen of Hicks in 2013 and 2014 because in 2015 he was playing slow, routinely had poor pad level and was a nonfactor.

Former teammate Jimmy Graham, already sent packing to the Seahawks in a trade, took to Twitter in support of Hicks: "feel blessed u got out of there. Time to go shine big dog. All the best. Good luck."The post was deleted soon after, but Graham, who had become disenchanted in New Orleans, backed his guy.

It wasn't long before Hicks looked like a very different player — at a different position — as a rotational contributor for the Patriots. Later that season he had 24 snaps in a victory over the AFC South champion Texans. He filled the box score with six tackles, two sacks and three QB hits. Hicks was shedding blockers and making stops at the line of scrimmage. On two plays he just threw center Ben Jones aside and made the play.

No love lost

The difference, according to Hicks, is simple. He's not playing on the edge now. He's back where he's comfortable and where his rare combination of speed, power and quickness allows him to wreak havoc.

"I don't think I am better," he said. "I have been given more opportunities to do certain things. One of the things, when I first came to New Orleans, I was pegged as only a run stopper and I was told that to my face: 'You're not going to a pass rusher in this league. You're just going to be a run stopper.'

"You never want to hear that and I think, for me, I let it get into my psyche. I let myself say, 'Well, OK, maybe I do just need to focus on the run.' And I would only go in on first and second downs in New Orleans a lot of the time. At a certain point I showed promise in the pass rush and that confidence of being a good pass rusher, they didn't see that in me."

Hicks joined a team in the hunt when he arrived in New England and although he wasn't logging heavy playing time, he had an appreciation for the coaching he received from defensive coordinator Matt Patricia and coach Bill Belichick. Now in a situation where he's on the field for more than 80 percent of the snaps most weeks, his game continues to grow.

That makes this an interesting trip.

"As far as proving to people, I have made peace (with) that situation in a sense, but it's not a loving situation (with New Orleans), I know that," Hicks said. "I want to play my best and I don't think I want to show anybody anything. I just want to show myself that I am the player I thought I was."

Payton was complimentary of Hicks in a teleconference with Chicago reporters Wednesday.

"Obviously, I'm happy to see the success he's having," Payton said. "I wish it was here. He's right in the perfect position right now. And he's someone who it's very important to. Akiem, listen, he's found the niche there."

Payton seemed to acknowledge the Saints had Hicks out of position in 2015 when things unraveled for him in New Orleans and admitted the team made a similar error with Rob Ninkovich, who failed there but went on to star for Super Bowl-winning teams in New England.

"I can't speak to what they've got going on, but I know this: There are a lot of good football players out there that have moved on from the Saints and have had success in other places," Hicks said.

Hicks said he isn't looking forward to even a casual encounter with Payton.

"Look for him before the game?" he said. "Never. Not at all."

His happy place

The Bears rewarded Hicks with a four-year, $48 million extension last month. But defensive coordinator Vic Fangio doesn't buy into the idea that the Bears' scheme is the reason Hicks has blossomed at 27.

"A player is a player," Fangio said. "He didn't improve very much in New Orleans for whatever reason and then he had the half a year in New England. I just think he's found a home and a system that fits him well."

Fangio credits defensive line coach Jay Rodgers for his work refining Hicks. He has stressed proper pad level and given him the freedom to make plays within his specific assignments on each play. Call it calculated freelancing.

"He has a knack for choosing which opportunities at the right time, when he can and can't take those liberties," Rodgers said. "If you have a guy who is good at it, you don't want to take that away from him and make him into a robot. It's dirty on the inside."

Hicks will try to make it filthy for the Saints on Sunday at the Superdome. He's a perfect of example of how a player can find a new trajectory for his career after it hasn't worked out where it started.

"I try to advise my young guys on how to do things the right way and to harp on the little things and to keep a really good work ethic," Hicks said. "I enjoy working hard. I'm happy about the place I'm at and I know why I got here. I never stopped working."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-akiem-hicks-new-orleans-biggs-spt-1026-20171025-column.html

phil likes this

On 4/13/2018 at 2:21 PM, bigbrod81 said:

Prior to the Bears game this past season, I posted an article where Hicks said he believes he was misunderstood & misused which lead to him getting traded. Honestly there was wrong done by both sides that lead to the Hicks trade.

Akiem Hicks, cast off by Saints, now a destructive force for Bears

Fifty-nine players were paid more money in free agency than Akiem Hicks a year ago and 49 received larger guarantees.

A little more than 24 months after being dumped in a trade by the Saints, Hicks will return to New Orleans on Sunday for the first time as possibly the best free-agent signing of 2016, and as the player the Saints once envisioned — a destructive force on the defensive line.

Bears general manager Ryan Pace has had his swings and misses in three years of free agency and Hicks represents a home run, a building block in the prime of his career, which is difficult to find in the NFL's shopping season. Hicks is off to the best start of his career with six sacks (one shy of the career high he set last year), nine quarterback hits and 24 tackles, which leads the defensive line.

The Bears are reaping the benefits of luring Hicks originally with a two-year, $10 million contract, half of which was guaranteed. He's the player the Bears thought they might be getting — a massive playmaker at 6-foot-5, 332 pounds.

The Saints traded Hicks on Sept. 30, 2015, shipping him to the Patriots in for tight end Michael Hoomanawanui. It was a Wednesday and Hicks had finished a padded practice with the Saints and was in the defensive line meeting room when coach Sean Payton summoned him. They went to an adjacent room.

"He says, 'We made a move, Akiem. We traded you to New England,'" Hicks said. "It was crushing to my spirit. I felt like, 'Man, am I really not good at football anymore? Am I just going to fall by the wayside and become another guy that came into the league for three, four years and is out?' There was a point where I thought, 'Man, this could be over, maybe I am not the guy I thought I was.' When a team trades you during your contract year, it's stifling. It hurts.

"It was tough to swallow. I had to eat it. I went upstairs to say bye to the guys and it was emotional for me because I felt like New Orleans was home. Every guy that gets drafted to a team thinks he's going to spend his whole career there. That's how I saw New Orleans and it was crushing and one thing that they told me upstairs was, 'Ah, man, you've got an opportunity to go win a Super Bowl.' At that point, I was like, 'Dude, I'm here. These are the guys I have been with the last three years. These are my brothers.'"

A different player

600x338

Chicago Bears defensive end Akiem Hicks, right, is off to the best start of his career with six sacks.

(Jose M. Osorio / Chicago Tribune)

Hicks had been benched in the second half of a home loss to the Buccaneers two weeks before the trade. He played the next week, but his snap count was down and Bobby Richardson, an undrafted rookie free agent, was getting more action. The tape isn't pretty, but the Saints had converted Hicks to a 4-3 defensive end in training camp that summer, a move that still confounds him.

"It wasn't a good situation," said Hicks, a third-round pick of the Saints in 2012.

The Patriots were clearly going off what they had seen of Hicks in 2013 and 2014 because in 2015 he was playing slow, routinely had poor pad level and was a nonfactor.

Former teammate Jimmy Graham, already sent packing to the Seahawks in a trade, took to Twitter in support of Hicks: "feel blessed u got out of there. Time to go shine big dog. All the best. Good luck."The post was deleted soon after, but Graham, who had become disenchanted in New Orleans, backed his guy.

It wasn't long before Hicks looked like a very different player — at a different position — as a rotational contributor for the Patriots. Later that season he had 24 snaps in a victory over the AFC South champion Texans. He filled the box score with six tackles, two sacks and three QB hits. Hicks was shedding blockers and making stops at the line of scrimmage. On two plays he just threw center Ben Jones aside and made the play.

No love lost

The difference, according to Hicks, is simple. He's not playing on the edge now. He's back where he's comfortable and where his rare combination of speed, power and quickness allows him to wreak havoc.

"I don't think I am better," he said. "I have been given more opportunities to do certain things. One of the things, when I first came to New Orleans, I was pegged as only a run stopper and I was told that to my face: 'You're not going to a pass rusher in this league. You're just going to be a run stopper.'

"You never want to hear that and I think, for me, I let it get into my psyche. I let myself say, 'Well, OK, maybe I do just need to focus on the run.' And I would only go in on first and second downs in New Orleans a lot of the time. At a certain point I showed promise in the pass rush and that confidence of being a good pass rusher, they didn't see that in me."

Hicks joined a team in the hunt when he arrived in New England and although he wasn't logging heavy playing time, he had an appreciation for the coaching he received from defensive coordinator Matt Patricia and coach Bill Belichick. Now in a situation where he's on the field for more than 80 percent of the snaps most weeks, his game continues to grow.

That makes this an interesting trip.

"As far as proving to people, I have made peace (with) that situation in a sense, but it's not a loving situation (with New Orleans), I know that," Hicks said. "I want to play my best and I don't think I want to show anybody anything. I just want to show myself that I am the player I thought I was."

Payton was complimentary of Hicks in a teleconference with Chicago reporters Wednesday.

"Obviously, I'm happy to see the success he's having," Payton said. "I wish it was here. He's right in the perfect position right now. And he's someone who it's very important to. Akiem, listen, he's found the niche there."

Payton seemed to acknowledge the Saints had Hicks out of position in 2015 when things unraveled for him in New Orleans and admitted the team made a similar error with Rob Ninkovich, who failed there but went on to star for Super Bowl-winning teams in New England.

"I can't speak to what they've got going on, but I know this: There are a lot of good football players out there that have moved on from the Saints and have had success in other places," Hicks said.

Hicks said he isn't looking forward to even a casual encounter with Payton.

"Look for him before the game?" he said. "Never. Not at all."

His happy place

The Bears rewarded Hicks with a four-year, $48 million extension last month. But defensive coordinator Vic Fangio doesn't buy into the idea that the Bears' scheme is the reason Hicks has blossomed at 27.

"A player is a player," Fangio said. "He didn't improve very much in New Orleans for whatever reason and then he had the half a year in New England. I just think he's found a home and a system that fits him well."

Fangio credits defensive line coach Jay Rodgers for his work refining Hicks. He has stressed proper pad level and given him the freedom to make plays within his specific assignments on each play. Call it calculated freelancing.

"He has a knack for choosing which opportunities at the right time, when he can and can't take those liberties," Rodgers said. "If you have a guy who is good at it, you don't want to take that away from him and make him into a robot. It's dirty on the inside."

Hicks will try to make it filthy for the Saints on Sunday at the Superdome. He's a perfect of example of how a player can find a new trajectory for his career after it hasn't worked out where it started.

"I try to advise my young guys on how to do things the right way and to harp on the little things and to keep a really good work ethic," Hicks said. "I enjoy working hard. I'm happy about the place I'm at and I know why I got here. I never stopped working."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-akiem-hicks-new-orleans-biggs-spt-1026-20171025-column.html

While I agree with Hicks, he was being played out of position by being put on the end; he's much better in the middle,  nobody's got clean hands including Hicks.  I remember that.  The Saints were trying anything.  If he did not like being put on the end he should have gone to Payton.  Instead he went to the media.  That's something that should have been taken care of  in the locker room, not aired in public. Yeah Payton probably did let his ego get the better of him but Hicks didn't make matters any better. He is every bit as responsible for what happened as Payton and that is the point.  In that situation he didn't do things the right way

Saints to sign offensive lineman Michael Ola after tryout: source

The New Orleans Saints are signing at least one of the veterans who tried out during rookie minicamp this weekend. 

Michael Ola, a versatile offensive lineman with 32 career games of experience with four teams, is signing a one-year deal with the Saints, according to a league source Sunday (May 13).

The 30-year-old Ola went undrafted out of Hampton in 2011, but didn't appear in an NFL game until 2014 with the Chicago Bears. He's also played regular-season games for the Detroit Lions, Buffalo Bills and San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers. He made two appearances for the Chargers in 2017. 

It's unclear if any of the other tryout players earned spots on the 90-man roster. 

Link

I know it's a long shot, but I am hoping we can find a diamond in the rough TE out of this group. I am not 100% sold on our group. Yes Watson was good and had a career year his last year with us, but that was 3 years ago and a major injury ago. 

Saints sign Jay Bromley

gettyimages-861734818-e1526323962442.jpg
Getty Images

Veteran defensive tackle Jay Bromley landed a job this weekend.

Bromley took part in the Saints’ rookie minicamp on a tryout basis and multiple reports on Monday have him signing a contract with the team.

Bromley was a third-round pick by the Giants in 2014 and spent the last four years with the team. He played in all 16 games last season and finished the year with 21 tackles and a sack. He played in 47 of 48 games over the last three seasons, but only made four starts during his time in Jersey.

The Saints have Sheldon Rankins, David Onyemata and Tyeler Davison back from last year and Bromley will likely be trying to earn a spot as a depth option behind them.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/14/saints-sign-jay-bromley/

The gun slinger and Bonckers like this

When I seen they signed him last season I had never heard of him but yeah he came in and held his own. His natural position is center but he played guard very well,he showed his versatility, glad to hear we brought him back

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

Bottom of the roster turnover

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/31/saints-sign-sharrod-neasman-waive-mykkele-thompson/

Saints sign Sharrod Neasman, waive Mykkele Thompson

Posted by Josh Alper on May 31, 2018, 1:00 PM EDT
gettyimages-835980294-e1527785996427.jpg
Getty Images

The Saints swapped one safety for another on Thursday.

Herbie Teope of NFL Media reports that the team has signed Sherrod Neasman to their 90-man roster. Neasman tried out for the team at their rookie minicamp earlier this month. Mykkele Thompsonhas been waived in a corresponding move.

Neasman played in 14 regular season games and five postseason contests for the Falcons over the last two seasons and made six tackles. He was not tendered a contract this offseason by Atlanta and worked out for the Chiefs in April before landing with New Orleans.

Thompson was a fifth-round pick by the Giants in 2015, but missed his rookie year with a torn Achilles. He played one game in 2016 and wound up back on injured reserve with a knee injury.