Bonckers

Free agency talk

344 posts in this topic

Ok the off season has started for us. Who would you guys like to see us target as of today. Now I know a lot of guys have the opportunity to re sign or be franchise tagged. Saying that there has to be a few players that will be available. I have heard the talk of Burton as a TE from the Eagles. I think we can all agree another rusher opposite of Jrodan in case Okafor can't return to form, we need another WR either in the draft or free agency, and another body at corner so we can stick with only 2 safeties. Let's hear who everyone thinks would be a good fit. Link beoow to a website with the current projected list. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

phil and Saint ATN like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool Link.

I did a quick look at linebackers. You guys are probably more familiar with whose listed but no one on that list really caught my eye.

Bonckers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zach Brown from the skins is probably the best. He will not be cheap at all though. When i say cheap he will probably cost about 8 or 9 mill a year to sign. Not sure we have the cap space for that. Our best bet for a rangy backer is the draft, or a backup no one has heard of that we were high on in the draft. 

Edit:

Navarro Bowman was a guy we were rumored ot be trying to trade for before the 9ers granted his release. But at 29 how long would you want to tie up money in him, and is he what he was at his peak with them?

Edited by Bonckers
xardoz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Trey Burton, of course just after I mentioned him in chat during the NFC championship game, he proceeds to make a horrible play on very catchable ball.  

I would also like to see us get a DT to replace Fairley, It would be great to sign Sheldon Richardson  but I doubt he leaves Seattle.  The other one I like is Dontari Poe, however I feel his price tag will be very steep.  

I don't want to see the team spend too much on a WR, but one that I think would be a good fit and may not cost much since he had an off season is Jordan Matthews.  Not a speed guy by any stretch, but a guy who runs good solid routes and has good hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Drew said:

  The other one I like is Dontari Poe, however I feel his price tag will be very steep.  

 

No to Poe. Too much mileage on a 350 Lb body approaching 30. He had 2.5 sacks and 29 tackles for Atlanta last year. I don't care about the sacks, but the tackle stat concerns me. A good DT needs to penetrate and make backfield tackles. The question one has to ask is this. The Chiefs defense was their downfall this year. Why did they let Poe leave via FA? The reason is he's banged up and younger O-linemen are pushing him around at this stage of his career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, faceman said:

No to Poe. Too much mileage on a 350 Lb body approaching 30. He had 2.5 sacks and 29 tackles for Atlanta last year. I don't care about the sacks, but the tackle stat concerns me. A good DT needs to penetrate and make backfield tackles. The question one has to ask is this. The Chiefs defense was their downfall this year. Why did they let Poe leave via FA? The reason is he's banged up and younger O-linemen are pushing him around at this stage of his career. 

He will be 28 in August and had 39 tackles last year.  Still has a few years left in the tank, but I do think you will have to sign him to a 5 year deal which means you will probably be regretting the contract in year 4 which is why I said his price tag will be too steep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheldon Richardson was a locker room cancer which is why he was traded from the Jets. I don't want him. I would like another DT too though. We really need depth at every position on defense and offensive line. Really outside of RB we are short depth on the whole team. If we let Vacarro go we are short at safety too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bonckers said:

Sheldon Richardson was a locker room cancer which is why he was traded from the Jets. I don't want him. I would like another DT too though. We really need depth at every position on defense and offensive line. Really outside of RB we are short depth on the whole team. If we let Vacarro go we are short at safety too. 

Could always make an attempt at resigning Tom Johnson. The man has been a pretty decent rotational player everywhere he has played.  

louder, Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind that move, but he is 33 years old. I wouldn't want to be tied up for too long. We really need a long term solution to be added even if it is a draft pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think we need a TE.  I would look hard at Austin Seferian-Jenkins.  Seems like we have missed the big bodied presence in the red zone since Jimmy Graham departed.  I too would like to see us get another WR (wonder if Eric Decker still has gas for the slot), CB (for our seemingly oft injured CBs), a pass rushing DE, a DT, and extra offensive linemen.

What's it going to take for this team to get a pass rush?  Been waiting for that since '09.

Dale S likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the zone, Two-Tom. We need someone opposite Cam in the worst way. We have a conundrum as we need to draft a QB high IMO so we have to find one of those potentially via free agency. We need a TE assuredly, we got some low production from that group this past year, we can find one mid rounds. We have to not only get the pass rush, we need to get better at converting on 3rd down. We were atrocious there last season and it bit us in the posterior time and time again. A solid blocking /receiving TE option would open that up somewhat. 

Bonckers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok maybe because it is Friday and I want to stir the pot, I know it is highly unlikely. Do any of you think it is possible we pursue a QB. I know Brees is awesome, and non of us want to think of him playing anywhere else, but this year most if not all of us saw father time sneaking around the corner. Is it possible with some quality players out there that we pursue someone else? I know the staff has had to have had the conversation or will at some point before free agency. We know Brees time is coming to end sooner than later. He may only have 1 or two years left tops. Do we pursue a future QB this year. IDK, but I do know every time I think I know that this FO is going to do they do something out of left field. I mean honestly when is a potential franchise QB still in the early part of his prime like Cousins come onto the market? Last time was Brees in 06. I think ti would be in our best interest to not do it, but Payton does what he wants how he wants to do it. 

For the record I think the smart and best move is to resign Brees, and move up to draft our QB this year. We cannot wait another year as I think this is Brees last year to be successful we all saw the arm strength leaving at the end of the year. Ok ... flame away and add your points all. All I am saying is don't be surprised to see our name get put out there. Especially as free agency gets closer and no deal is done with Brees. I expect as usual Loomis will push it up to free agency for bargaining strength like he always does. Saying that the media will push the story line of do the Saints really want Brees back. And honestly not only for the player perspective do we need him back, but I have never seen a player mean more to a team and a city than he does to us. He breaks down the huddle before every game. I have never seen another QB do that. He has done more for rebuilding NO than any one other person probably since Katrina outside of maybe Benson. So yes I personally want him back, but we have to at least entertain the idea until he is signed that it may not happen. Honestly if it was another player we would talking about time to move on due to his physical abilities diminishing. JMO. 

Edited by Bonckers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bonckers said:

Ok maybe because it is Friday and I want to stir the pot, I know it is highly unlikely. Do any of you think it is possible we pursue a QB. I know Brees is awesome, and non of us want to think of him playing anywhere else, but this year most if not all of us saw father time sneaking around the corner. Is it possible with some quality players out there that we pursue someone else? I know the staff has had to have had the conversation or will at some point before free agency. We know Brees time is coming to end sooner than later. He may only have 1 or two years left tops. Do we pursue a future QB this year. IDK, but I do know every time I think I know that this FO is going to do they do something out of left field. I mean honestly when is a potential franchise QB still in the early part of his prime like Cousins come onto the market? Last time was Brees in 06. I think ti would be in our best interest to not do it, but Payton does what he wants how he wants to do it. 

For the record I think the smart and best move is to resign Brees, and move up to draft our QB this year. We cannot wait another year as I think this is Brees last year to be successful we all saw the arm strength leaving at the end of the year. Ok ... flame away and add your points all. All I am saying is don't be surprised to see our name get put out there. Especially as free agency gets closer and no deal is done with Brees. I expect as usual Loomis will push it up to free agency for bargaining strength like he always does. Saying that the media will push the story line of do the Saints really want Brees back. And honestly not only for the player perspective do we need him back, but I have never seen a player mean more to a team and a city than he does to us. He breaks down the huddle before every game. I have never seen another QB do that. He has done more for rebuilding NO than any one other person probably since Katrina outside of maybe Benson. So yes I personally want him back, but we have to at least entertain the idea until he is signed that it may not happen. Honestly if it was another player we would talking about time to move on due to his physical abilities diminishing. JMO. 

Not that I think Brees is declining, but it would be great to move up and pick his eventual successor this year so that he can sit and learn for a couple years ala Rodgers.

faceman, Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I truly think he is, and it goes back to the arm strength nothing else. He still has the pocket awareness, can still take a hit, but that throw to Ted Ginn in the divisional round that was picked was not the only pass he under threw this year by any means. I really think the answer last year would have been Watson, but a top 5 player fell and I think we made the right move in taking Lattimore. I think this year we need to look to jump into the top 10 and get Mayfield. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is how I feel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

I truly think he is, and it goes back to the arm strength nothing else. He still has the pocket awareness, can still take a hit, but that throw to Ted Ginn in the divisional round that was picked was not the only pass he under threw this year by any means. I really think the answer last year would have been Watson, but a top 5 player fell and I think we made the right move in taking Lattimore. I think this year we need to look to jump into the top 10 and get Mayfield. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is how I feel. 

Agreed on Watson Bonck, I thought it was about as obvious as it could be that he was the best qb coming out last year, it wasn't even close IMO. He would have been absolutely electric here. Nothing we can do about that now but if you look at Brees throughout the season as Brod/Face have pointed it out in other threads, he underthrew Ginn a number of times (some where Ginn waited and was able to make the play, some he wasn't). Right now I want Brees back for the next 2 years but to me there is no question he can't throw the ball with the same velocity that he did 5 years ago. I just hope it is a very gradual decline. I'm on board with jumping up and grabbing Mayfield if the situation is right, but I think to trade up to top 5 the price would be too steep, if he projects from 8 -10 that would be doable I believe. I don't think we can't afford to wait much longer....

Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have no problem selecting Brees’ ultimate replacement soon. But this year rather than making a trade, giving up picks or players, to move up for a QB, I think we keep a close eye on who might fall and why. And be ready to pull the trigger if someone is there. 

The decline in Brees has been subtle and I believe we have a solid 2-3 year championship window open. We move on from Brees now, I believe that window closes for 2-3 years and may not reopen soon...especially if we whiff on that new QB.

Not opposed to having an eye to the future. But I really like what we’ve got right now.

bigbrod81 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regard to life after Brees, I believe this will be an ideal year to draft for his replacement as I am of the opinion some of the top talent at QB slide big time. I think, honestly, Mayfield drops in the same manner Rodgers did. Allen will intrigue enough teams with raw physical ability that some team will jump and cause a domino effect. Rosen and Darnold will go prior to Mayfield in my opinion. So realistically, it is not out of thought to stay put and draft Brees replacement this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be wrong, but I don't see Mayfield falling to 27. I hope he does, and we stay put and take him. I just don't see it happening. I have been wrong in the past especially about the draft. Who saw us taking Lattimore and Ram this past year. None of us! So I could be wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I expect us to go after a CB and if no tags are placed there will be some good ones this year. Amukamara and Trumaine Johnson top the list and should get big pay days. I could see us going after Butler and Claiborne at this point I think Butler is a hot mess. I hope we don't overpay for his services. He had bad stretches last year, not to mention why was he benched last night prior to kickoff? There is some good talent out there though. Some old talent too, I don't want anyone over 30. Here is the list. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is suppose to be the reasons Butler was benched:

#NFL #SuperBowl Patriots/Eagles - Bill Belichick benched Malcolm Butler due to arriving late to team hotel, was also found with possession of marijuana on Thursday evening. Belichick was “fed up” with these actions and took a bold stand.

 

There's a follow-up.

#NFL #Eagles #Patriots #SuperBowl - Clarification/Update: Malcom Butler missed initial flight from Boston to Minneapolis. Arrived to team hotel intoxicated after curfew twice. During room evaluation (Thurs) he was caught smoking marijuana. Missed Saturday morning team meeting.


 
 
Edited by nonyt
Bonckers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nonyt said:

This is suppose to be the reasons Butler was benched:

#NFL #SuperBowl Patriots/Eagles - Bill Belichick benched Malcolm Butler due to arriving late to team hotel, was also found with possession of marijuana on Thursday evening. Belichick was “fed up” with these actions and took a bold stand.

 

There's a follow-up.

#NFL #Eagles #Patriots #SuperBowl - Clarification/Update: Malcom Butler missed initial flight from Boston to Minneapolis. Arrived to team hotel intoxicated after curfew twice. During room evaluation (Thurs) he was caught smoking marijuana. Missed Saturday morning team meeting.


 
 

This isn't hard for me to believe after Belichick made what is basically an unprecedented move to my knowledge.  A guy who started 15 of the regular season games for you and you bench him hours before the Super Bowl.  

Also, if true, boy did we dodge a bullet by not working any sort of deal out with him last offseason, whether signing or trading or putting him in the Cooks deal.  Thank God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

Wow if that is the case I don't want him at all. That is a bad sign all the way around of his character on super bowl week when you are supposed to zoned in. 

If any of it is true I don't want him.  I don't want that in the Saints locker room.  The chemistry is just too good.

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude,this Trey Burton this guy can block and catch and has a mean streak about him then top it off the guy has speed. I can see this dude as our TE. I now see what some of you have been talking about.

Drew likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The gun slinger said:

Dude,this Trey Burton this guy can block and catch and has a mean streak about him then top it off the guy has speed. I can see this dude as our TE. I now see what some of you have been talking about.

After the money they spent on Fleener, I don't see them going after Burton.  Would love to have him but having that much money tied up in the TE position doesn't make sense. 

I see them drafting a TE and adding him to the mix with Fleener and Hill. 

Edited by zeke187
Bonckers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now