Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zeke187

How the Saints Will Attack the Vikings Defense

23 posts in this topic

Honestly I see this from my beloved Vikings every week, How to beat the Number 1 defense. At Home we Have only given up 1 touchdown outside of garbage time when the offense starts on their side of the 50 yard line. Because you don't follow my team as much as I do, you really don't understand how good we are. Brees was completely lost in week 1 against us. Both teams have improved since then. This is going to be a great game

13 minutes ago, tstange said:

Honestly I see this from my beloved Vikings every week, How to beat the Number 1 defense. At Home we Have only given up 1 touchdown outside of garbage time when the offense starts on their side of the 50 yard line. Because you don't follow my team as much as I do, you really don't understand how good we are. Brees was completely lost in week 1 against us. Both teams have improved since then. This is going to be a great game

Honestly speaking here as well. If I were a Vikings fan,the only thing I'd be worried about is Brees. If he's in a groove,he could put up 30 points on the 85 Bears. That said, I'm also expecting a tough hard fought game. The team with the better defense and playing at home generally win these types of games. I'll also say the loss of Andrus Peat is huge. His replacement Seneo Kelemete has done an admirable job,but he's more of a zone blocker. Peat just ran over defenders like a runaway Peterbilt. 

That seams like an excuse, Injuries happen, we lost our guard as well and also Cook who ran over a hundred yards against your Saints. Peat is a great Guard, no question there but teams have to overcome that. You can't beat us with normal play calling so I expect the Saints to try to run some trick plays and I hope we are ready for that.

faceman and Saint ATN like this

8 minutes ago, tstange said:

That seams like an excuse, Injuries happen, we lost our guard as well and also Cook who ran over a hundred yards against your Saints. Peat is a great Guard, no question there but teams have to overcome that. You can't beat us with normal play calling so I expect the Saints to try to run some trick plays and I hope we are ready for that.

I actually agree and gave you a like. I along with many here are just upset we've lost a starter or key back up to IR the last 4 weeks. We currently have 21 players on IR. That's bordering on sublime. If the Vikes win Sunday, It'll be because they were the better team this year. I'll be upset and get over it in a few days. If you play Atlanta in the NFCCG, I'll join you as a Viking fan  : ) 

It's very nice to have conversation behind enemy lines. I thank you for that. I might be upset for more than a few days just because we haven't won it yet and to play in your own stadium would be historic. Just because of your respect I would root for the Saints as well. BTW SKOL VIKES, I'm sure you will here a lot of that on Sunday.

Saint ATN, faceman and herb like this

12 hours ago, tstange said:

It's very nice to have conversation behind enemy lines. I thank you for that. I might be upset for more than a few days just because we haven't won it yet and to play in your own stadium would be historic. Just because of your respect I would root for the Saints as well. BTW SKOL VIKES, I'm sure you will here a lot of that on Sunday.

Your four appearances under Bud Grant DO mean something.  We fielded one Super Bowl team.  Thankfully, it was against a Colts team in decline.

Fran Tarkenton is still one of my all-time favorite NFL QBs...talk about a magician. 

When the Vikings played in Super Bowl IX in New Orleans, I became a strong admirer of the Vikes...I was just a kid then.  My oldest brother picked up a temp job being Vin Scully's driver during Super Bowl week. And man, was it cold for that game (which was played outdoors in Tulane Stadium before the Super Dome was completed)...I remember visiting Vikings fan being interviewed by the local TV stations and commenting that they had never felt a cold that was that humid before and rivaled any cold weather in Minnesota.

BTW...another story for you...My 1st MLB game was game 7 of the World Series in the Metrodome between the Twins and the Braves when the Twins won in the 10th inning by a score of 1-0 on Kirby Pucket's homer.

2 hours ago, herb said:

Your four appearances under Bud Grant DO mean something.  We fielded one Super Bowl team.  Thankfully, it was against a Colts team in decline.

Fran Tarkenton is still one of my all-time favorite NFL QBs...talk about a magician. 

When the Vikings played in Super Bowl IX in New Orleans, I became a strong admirer of the Vikes...I was just a kid then.  My oldest brother picked up a temp job being Vin Scully's driver during Super Bowl week. And man, was it cold for that game (which was played outdoors in Tulane Stadium before the Super Dome was completed)...I remember visiting Vikings fan being interviewed by the local TV stations and commenting that they had never felt a cold that was that humid before and rivaled any cold weather in Minnesota.

BTW...another story for you...My 1st MLB game was game 7 of the World Series in the Metrodome between the Twins and the Braves when the Twins won in the 10th inning by a score of 1-0 on Kirby Pucket's homer.

I attended the SB game between the Packers and Pats after the 96 season. My buddy and I spent some time chatting with some Packers fans on the concourse before the doors opened. I asked one young man if he's enjoyed the city so far. He said our group hit Bourbon street last night and nearly froze to death. We checked the weather and saw lows in the 40'and highs in the mid 60's all week. That's our Spring,so we didn't pack cold weather clothing. He said they spent about an hour and went back to their hotel room. I then told him you aren't the first to be surprised. The hawk coming off the Ms. River in winter ain't no joke. it will literally cut right through you.  

Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

The 1st two football posters I had when I was growing up were Mick Tinglehoff and E.J.Holub....I've always have been a trench sort of guy, that's where games are won.

Slidell Saint likes this

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

E.J.Holub....

Len Dawson told a strange story about Holub. After the game, Holub was always the first out of the shower and fully dressed while the rest of the team still had towels on. Curiosity finally got the better  of Dawson. He hid and watched one day. Holub never used a towel to dry himself. He put on his clothes while he was still soaking wet. 

phil, Slidell Saint and herb like this

Herb, I think you meant Game six of the 1991 World Series is when Kirby Pucket hit the game winning Home Run, Game Seven was a classic when Jack Morris pitched a 10 inning shut out with Gene Larkin hitting the game winner to bring in Dan Gladden. one of the Best World Series of All time.

faceman likes this

33 minutes ago, tstange said:

Herb, I think you meant Game six of the 1991 World Series is when Kirby Pucket hit the game winning Home Run, Game Seven was a classic when Jack Morris pitched a 10 inning shut out with Gene Larkin hitting the game winner to bring in Dan Gladden. one of the Best World Series of All time.

This game will always be remembered for two things. The brilliance of Morris and the stupidity of Lonnie Smith. 

Edited by faceman

your right, it was a steal and smith loss site of the ball, actually Gagne and Knoblauch performed an emmy performance for a ground ball and a double play to confuse him even more. It was one play that the Braves blundered to give us the win.

14 minutes ago, tstange said:

your right, it was a steal and smith loss site of the ball, actually Gagne and Knoblauch performed an emmy performance for a ground ball and a double play to confuse him even more. It was one play that the Braves blundered to give us the win.

Smith made a huge error that has been taught since Little League. A base runner should never look at infielders. If Smith would have watched the 3rd base coach,he would have scored standing up

edit- The above said takes nothing away from the performance of Jack Morris that night. He completed a 10 inning shutout. That's a very rare accomplishment,and he should be commended.   

Edited by faceman
Bonckers likes this

Please stop bringing up this horrible memory of my youth!  After years of watching my Braves lose 100+ games every season, we could have won the World Series only to have that idiot Lonnie Smith break my heart!  That still hurts me to this day.  All that moron had to do was look at the 3rd base coach and he would have scored easily.

dtgsaintsfan, we have to live with Favre throwing that interception against the Saints and the Peterson fumble at the goal line, Sports is what brings us together good memory or bad memory, that's why I love Sports and hope we have a good memory come Sunday, either way we will remember it.

Bonckers likes this

1 hour ago, dtgSaintsFan said:

Please stop bringing up this horrible memory of my youth!  After years of watching my Braves lose 100+ games every season, we could have won the World Series only to have that idiot Lonnie Smith break my heart!  That still hurts me to this day.  All that moron had to do was look at the 3rd base coach and he would have scored easily.

Braves fan here too. It still didn't piss me off as much as Mark Wholers throwing his 4th best pitch in 97 to Jim Lehyritz. Lehritz couldn't keep up with his fastball. The rule is climb the ladder until he swings and misses. Why on Gods green earth do you throw a hanging curve at the waist when you got a batter chasing smoke?  

2 hours ago, tstange said:

I was at game 7 when the Twins won 1-0 in the 10th inning.

I walked around downtown Minneapolis high-fiving people in the streets for what seemed like miles when they won the World Series.

I was in town for the wedding of my then live-in girlfriend's 1st cousin who worked for the MLB offices in New York and she gave my then girlfriend 2 tickets to game 7. I have pictures of my tickets somewhere. 

I must have confused the Kirby homer from the game people were glued to at the wedding reception (which was at the Interlocken Country Club). 

Bonckers likes this

Thanks for posting that video. That was some good information, but it basically underscored that simple fact that the best way to best an aggressive overpursuing defense is to make their momentum work against them. It won't be trick plays that beat the Vikings as much as it will be a steady diet of showing a flow one way, and then countering that with misdirection. 

In this case the best offense for the Saints is a best defense. The Saints defense didn't have that swagger they have now. In my opinion, the onus for winning this game is generating turnovers on defense and limiting Minnesota's offensive opportunities. True, you can say that about any game, but I believe the Saints are in much better shape defensively to execute then they were game one. This is a much different and improved defense, and Saints team, then week one, and a team I think that found their identity and are up to the challenge. 

louder, Saint ATN, Bonckers and 1 other like this