Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xardoz

Guys who caught your eye this year

80 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, sfidc2 said:

No they don't, you are forgetting about Bridgewater, who has been cleared to play and is rumored to be 100% back. He was an up and coming young qb when he got injured, I fully expect him to be starting for the Vikes next year if he can stay healthy. I think there will be some team out there willing to trade for Keenum or Bradford, at least I hope so. If teams look to FA to fill their starting qb needs then the Mayfield option becomes more of a reality....

No, I am not forgetting about Teddy Bridgewater.  You're banking on Bridgewater coming back 100 and being better than Keenum has been this season.  Bridgewater was a steady player, but he was not a playmaker even if you want to say his arrow was pointed up.  Keenum has lead the team with quite a few lost offensive players.  Bradford is a UFA, 2017 was the last year on his contract, so no, teams are not going to trade for him.

In fact, 2017 was the last year of Keenum's contract and Bridgewater's contract.  So again, no, teams are not going to trade for Keenum either.

Something is brewing though regarding Bridgewater on PUP, his catastrophic injury and what will transpire with his contract:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/2/1/16962070/clarity-teddy-bridgewater-contract-situation

Edited by Dru

Bradford and Keenum are both free agents, and as of right now it looks like Bridgewater will be unless the Vikings file a claim due to his injury to state because he started the year on the PUP that he is not a 5th year player. 

Well, throw Kirk Cousins' name into the hat.

KFAN host Paul Allen says he received a text message from a source who told him the following:

“Listening to you, I’m told Cousins has been telling people this week the Vikings are #1 with a bullet on his preference list. If offers are similar he’s taking the Vikings.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-vikings-are-kirk-cousins’-no-1-choice/ar-BBIEiy3?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

23 hours ago, Dru said:

No, I am not forgetting about Teddy Bridgewater.  You're banking on Bridgewater coming back 100 and being better than Keenum has been this season.  Bridgewater was a steady player, but he was not a playmaker even if you want to say his arrow was pointed up.  Keenum has lead the team with quite a few lost offensive players.  Bradford is a UFA, 2017 was the last year on his contract, so no, teams are not going to trade for him.

In fact, 2017 was the last year of Keenum's contract and Bridgewater's contract.  So again, no, teams are not going to trade for Keenum either.

Something is brewing though regarding Bridgewater on PUP, his catastrophic injury and what will transpire with his contract:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/2/1/16962070/clarity-teddy-bridgewater-contract-situation

Thanks Drew, I didn't know that about Bridgewater's contract, that makes it a bit more interesting. But I still feel they will sign Bridgewater, it is a risk for sure, but he was more than just a steady player. He had some very good games in the latter half of the 2015 season. I'm pulling for him, I liked him in college and would like to see him come back from catastrophic injury....I thought they had Bradford for another year, but you are right, it has already been 2 years....

Cousins on the Vikes could be scary though....ugh....I sure hope he winds up in Denver....

On 2/2/2018 at 9:15 PM, Drew said:

I'm fairly certain he is not a free agent, but may become trade bait.  However, it is possible that Wentz will not be ready at the start of the season and the Eagles will still need him next year.

Yeah, I misunderstood this video the first time I watched it. Foles is under contract for another season but with so many teams needing QBs this offseason, Philly might as well get what they can for him before he hits free agency after the 2018 season.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/22284228

Bonckers likes this

On 2/3/2018 at 11:35 AM, Bonckers said:

You are right Drew I read somewhere he was under contract for next year, but somebody will offer a 2nd round pick for him. I expect it to the be the Browns, or Jets once they don't get a guy in free agency. 

DU3xYNuX0AAabon.jpg:large

I really hope that the Vikings don't make a run at Kirk Cousins because they will have the cap space to do it. The Browns will be able to offer the most money being that they have the most cap space of any franchise. I know the Browns are the Browns but let's not forget the recent success Hue Jackson has had with both a veteran & young QBs. Jackson helped revive Carson Palmer's career. Andy Dalton had his most successful seasons with Jackson as OC in Cincinnati & Jackson was responsible for the early development of Derek Carr. The possibility of taking Cousin's career to the next level under Jackson is definitely a possibility. Not to mention, the Browns receiving corp is really talented. If we truly want a shot at Mayfield, we need Cousins to sign with the Jets, Browns or Broncos & stay away from the Vikings, Cardinals, Bills & Jags.

I'm also not completely sold that the Browns are ready to give up DeShone Kizer. Phil Simms went into detail on an episode of Inside the NFL saying Hue Jackson never wanted to draft Kizer. It was owner Jimmy Haslem's decision to make that pick. To make matters worse, Jackson wanted Carson Wentz the draft before but the Sasha Brown & Jimmy Haslem didn't because Wentz didn't come from Divison I university so they traded back with the Eagles.

Wentz is playing so well for the Eagles that he's being mentioned as an NFL MVP candidate.

"He's right up there with the Aaron Rodgers, the Tom Bradys and the Peyton Mannings,'' one high-level NFL personnel executive told cleveland.com.

"He will make a lot of people's careers,'' said another league insider.

Wentz, whom the Browns determined wouldn't be a top-20 quarterback in the NFL according to Browns Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta, is coming off a 28-23 victory over the Panthers on Thursday night football that improved the Eagles to 5-1.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/how_the_browns_handed_carson_w.html

Jackson also wanted DeShaun Watson this draft but once again Jackson's wishes were ignored.

Deshaun Watson revealed on Friday that Hue Jackson texted him on draft day in April and told him to 'be ready.'

The text was reported during the game by CBS play-by-play announcer Andrew Catalon.

He said Watson told them of the text during the production meeting Friday after practice.

Watson said he woke up on draft day and had no idea where he was going. He then received the text from Jackson indicating the Browns might take him.

He also told CBS that the Cardinals has already let him know that they'd take him at No. 13 if he was still there.

Instead, the Browns passed on Watson at No. 1, and then traded the No. 12 pick to the Texans with Watson staring them in the face. They received the Texans' No. 25 overall pick in 2017 and their 2018 first round pick.

The Texans jumped at the chance to draft Watson, and now feel they have their quarterback of the future. The Browns selected Jabrill Peppers at No. 25, and then came back in the second round and took DeShone Kizer, who was benched Sunday in favor of Kevin Hogan.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/browns_hue_jackson_to_deshaun.html

Rewind back to preseason. Remember how good Kizer looked in preseason?

https://youtu.be/5EQJnJqYVE4

He played really well against us in particular. That was with the limited preseason playbook. To get back at Haslem for taking a QB that he didn't want, Jackson threw the entire playbook at Kizer once the regular season started. Jackson wanted Kizer to fold & fail to throw it in Haslem's face. Hue asked Kizer to read defenses like a seasoned veteran. Now Kizer did struggle mightily for a large portion of the season but the kid never folded. If anyone saw him late in the season, Kizer showed moxy. What Jackson did would have broken a weak minded rookie QB but Kizer kept battling, showing small bits of improvements along the way. In return, he garnered a respect from Jackson that wasn't there prior to the start of the season. To make Jackson happy & not resign at the end of the season, Haslem fired GM Sasha Brown & made him the scapegoat for drafting Kizer. It wasn't until he was there for awhile that Jackson truly understood how dysfunctional the Browns were & how bad Haslem was as an owner. Jackson was going to leave after the season because he was frustrated with the organization. Haslem is trying to make things right & it started with firing Sasha Brown but he needs to butt out & stop having such input in the drafts such as his choice of Johnny Manziel because a homeless guy told him Manziel was the best QB in that draft. Just think about this. How many coaches wouldn't have been fired after going 0-16?

Hue Jackson is no dummy. The man knows offense & he knows QBs. Haslem & the front office needs to butt out & let Jackson make the ultimate decision when it comes down to the future of the Browns at that position. This interview just shows the frustration of Jackson. Had the front office listened to Jackson the last two drafts, the Browns would have the QB position taken care of by now.

Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

I think the Vikings will get Cousins, the only free agent outside of QB's they have that played any significant time is Tom Johnson and Terrence Newman. Both older vets they could invest the money elsewhere. I want Cousins elsewhere so a QB does not get picked as high, but if I'm cousins they are the best team hands down available today to sign him. They have number 1 and 2 WR's a good TE, an improved O line, a good running game, and one of the best defenses in the NFL. What is not to like, not to mention most of his games will be in a dome. Last but not least he won't have to take a discount if they really want him. I just don't see him going anywhere else. I don't see Minnesota passing on the opportunity to get him either. They can put in the claim for Bridgewater and get him for the 5th year option in case they don't land Cousins, and work from there. All the signs point to Minny. However, the Eagles, and and our second half in the divisional rounds showed their weaknesses on defense. We showed we can beat Cousins too. 

The Browns would be idiots to pass on Saquon Barkley. Hue Jackson is a QB guru & may feel the need to draft another this draft but a running back the caliber of Barkley is a QBs best friend. Look at what Todd Gurley means to the Rams & Jared Goff. When you are drawing Gurley & LT comparisons, you are special. I have loved watching Gurley play since he was at UGA & he still does things that simply makes my jaw drop. The jump cut by Barkley in the video against Iowa is that type of play. It should have been for no gain yet Barkley breaks it for about a 30 yard TD run.

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

Ok hadn't heard of this guy, and he played DT. But that first step is gonna make this dude a day 1 or day two pick to play on the edge. Wow! Going back to watch game tapes. He is small at 6'2 around 250 to play DT in the NFL, but man if he has any bend with that first step he could make any tackle look silly. 

Just watched USC game. He got killed on double teams in the run game. If he does not beat you at the snap he will not win in run game. Saying that he has great hands when rushing the passer, and never quits. He made several plays in the run and pass off quickness and his hands. Also he QB Spied Sam Darnold a couple fo times in the second half of that game. Not great at it, but still quicker in space than I would have thought he was. He does lay a wallop when he hits you. There is no hey I am gonna wrestle you down. He lays the wood on RB and QB alike. 

He only played second half against Michigan State, and saw a lot of running plays as they had a 21-3 lead to start the second half. He got mauled again as State usually has bigger lineman and run a more pro style offense. Made a couple of nice plays. Again though he won't play DT in the NFL, just gets man handled when they get to him much like a C/G combo block would maul any NFL LB. Curious to see how he runs, and how he performs at the combine. He had 21 1/2 career sacks at Washington State. I want to see his bend and spin move at the combine. 

bigbrod81 likes this

I like HM, but in the middle rounds.  I see a work in progress (like D. Tull was)

Maybe I am blind, but in my eyes, this Dude looks like he needs a year or 2 of NFL strength and conditioning.  He feasted on lower competition.  I doubt he would be a DE on the next level. 

I agree, even as a situational rusher he is small. Saying that I would expect him to go no later than the 3rd round. Someone is going to fall in love with his first step. It is rare, but the player need to add a little size in a healthy way. 

On 2/19/2018 at 10:27 AM, bigbrod81 said:

The Browns would be idiots to pass on Saquon Barkley. Hue Jackson is a QB guru & may feel the need to draft another this draft but a running back the caliber of Barkley is a QBs best friend. Look at what Todd Gurley means to the Rams & Jared Goff. When you are drawing Gurley & LT comparisons, you are special. I have loved watching Gurley play since he was at UGA & he still does things that simply makes my jaw drop. The jump cut by Barkley in the video against Iowa is that type of play. It should have been for no gain yet Barkley breaks it for about a 30 yard TD run.

Ugh.....this is ridiculous 

xardoz likes this

so, the question is...

"Does Cleveland take him (a once in a generation-type player) or trade that spot for a kings ransom?

Personally, if you have a chance to get a guy like this, you do it!

faceman, Saint ATN, Bonckers and 1 other like this

The real question is does Cleveland pass on him at 1 to take a QB. Honestly if they truly believe their future franchise QB is in this draft can they pass? They passed on Wentz, Watson, Goff, Mahomes, etc. I would pissed if I was a fan, they take Barkley who could be a HOF runner, and miss on another all pro talent at QB.  If Watson, Goff, and Wentz continues to develop into franchise QB's, and Mahomes grows into what Andy Reid thinks he will be that is 4 QB's in two years already they passed on that would have changed that team tremendously. 

bigbrod81 likes this

On 3/5/2018 at 6:43 PM, Bonckers said:

The real question is does Cleveland pass on him at 1 to take a QB. Honestly if they truly believe their future franchise QB is in this draft can they pass? They passed on Wentz, Watson, Goff, Mahomes, etc. I would pissed if I was a fan, they take Barkley who could be a HOF runner, and miss on another all pro talent at QB.  If Watson, Goff, and Wentz continues to develop into franchise QB's, and Mahomes grows into what Andy Reid thinks he will be that is 4 QB's in two years already they passed on that would have changed that team tremendously. 

No as Xardox already mentioned, they could address Qb at 4 . I also mentioned earlier the Saints were in serious talks at the combine for Indy's 3rd overall. There is too much smoke for there not to be fire. Imo again, Payton wants Mayfield and the price be damned. 

bigbrod81 likes this

Yes, but what if the QB they want is gone by the time their 4th pick rolls around. That is my point I know they have two top 5 picks. Let's say for the sake of the discussion the Browns believe Rosen is a potential first ballet HOF player. Would they pass on him for what they believe to be a first ballet HOF RB? I wouldn't QB's are way more important than RB's in every phase of the game, even on the goal line. That was my point. Not that they couldn't get another QB. Just that if there was one player they rated well above the rest at the QB position and they rate Barkley and the QB as equal quality how do they pass on the QB?

After running across this interview from Hue Jackson during the 2017 combine, I think it's safe to say that the Browns aren't taking Baker Mayfield. It's going to be Darnold, Rosen or Allen. Jackson mentions that he likes his QBs to be 6'2 or taller.

Jackson also mentions that he has a profile that all QB prospects must meet. After doing some reading, most teams have that profile as well with 6'2 being the standard. Because of this profile & Baker Mayfield being 6'0, he may indeed be available outside of the top 10 & even the top 15 picks. Since 1996, only one QB under 6'2 has been taken top 10 & that QB was Mike Vick.

Bonckers likes this

I hope you are right Brod, because I get the feeling the Saints are going to make a push to get Mayfiled. The one saving grace is Ireland. He will not allow them to do a ridiculous trade... hopefully. 

bigbrod81, louder and Richard like this

1 hour ago, Bonckers said:

I hope you are right Brod, because I get the feeling the Saints are going to make a push to get Mayfiled. The one saving grace is Ireland. He will not allow them to do a ridiculous trade... hopefully. 

If Baker were indeed to fall outside of the top 10 & especially outside of the top 15, the price to move up also falls drastically. 

Edited by bigbrod81
Bonckers and Saint ATN like this