Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xardoz

Guys who caught your eye this year

80 posts in this topic

If you guys want NFL ready full package TE's watch out for this guy. Not sure his top end speed is there, but he blocks well and catches the ball well. Curious to see what his 40 time is at the combine. FSU TE Ryan Izzo. FSU didn't use him like we do TE's, and wasn't big on TE's the entire Jimbo era so curious to see his times and see if he is a seam player we could use without it being a tell. May just be a Josh Hill clone though. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21950650/florida-state-te-ryan-izzo-enter-2018-nfl-draft

4 hours ago, xardoz said:

Mark Andrews from Oklahoma 6-4 260lbs is real interesting.... 

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211648917

Another TE from South Dakota State University

6-5 and 270lbs.

He has had 2 consecutive seasons of >1100 yards.

http://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6216

Watching the highlights for Goedert and I like how he broke tackles and fought for yards. Something Graham didn't do much of with us. Depending on his speed at the combine watching that tape good chance he goes in the first round. Curious of his blocking. Will look it up. Could see Dallas Goedert in Dallas depending on how he blocks. 

Edited by Bonckers

Goedert career highlights. He has the size you want.

Not a lot of tape for him. Saw this game tape. Didn't see much blocking by him, but did see good effort. 

4 hours ago, Bonckers said:

Goedert career highlights. He has the size you want.

Not a lot of tape for him. Saw this game tape. Didn't see much blocking by him, but did see good effort. 

Goebert is also a former basketball player. Don't see much in him as a blocker but his speed, agility & soft hands definitely stick out. Blocking for backs & TEs is about having a certain mindset. If Goebert has that mindset then he can develop into a good blocker.

Bonckers likes this

Oh I agree Brod, I did see the effort. And you are right they will never block like a tackle, but they can block like a full back if they want to. It just takes effort, technique and lots of practice. 

bigbrod81 likes this

I didn't watch as much college ball as I would have liked but one that stuck out at me is Jerome Baker from Ohio State.  I would think he is probably a second round pick so I doubt the Saints will be in position to get him.

Drew is possible saints could take him in the 1st if they like him enough. rafting at the end of the first is almost a 2nd rounder. Or we could trade down and get a high second and take a player like him. I'm not a fan of losing the 5th year option. Honestly looking at a player like Mike Thomas a 5th year option would be huge. Same for any player with that kind of talent. Saw a mock where we would take Roquain Smith from Georgia at our 1st round pick. Not sure that fits at that pick. 

Drew likes this

Roquan Smith is a beast. He was easily the best coverage LB I saw in college football this past year. The guy has unbelievable coverage skills for a LB. It was Bucky Brooks at NFL.com who mocked Smith to us at 27. The knock on Roquan is that he is a bit undersized but these hybrid tweeners are where we are now in this age of football. 

I understand the knock on his size but he reminds me of Sam Mills & Jonathan Vilma who used being smaller MLBs as well as speed & agility to their advantage in the run game to slip on coming blockers. Smith doesn't miss tackles either. He is a heat seeking missile. Not only that but Smith is one of those highly intelligent, heady players. Work ethic is off the charts. If he is there at 27, Smith will deserve considerable consideration because he is exactly what we can use at LB. He is a team leader. A perfect fit for the lockeroom that has been put together over the last few drafts.

NO.png

Roquan Smith - LB, Georgia

Smith would give the Saints a dynamic playmaker in the middle of their defense

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000910983/article/bucky-brooks-mock-draft-10-broncos-jags-among-6-to-pick-qb?campaign=tw-nf-sf180402521-sf180402521&sf180402521=1

Roquan Smith brings both physical and mental speed to the football field

59b841cc04abd.image.jpg

Georgia linebacker Roquan Smith (3) sacks Notre Dame quarterback Brandon Wimbush (7) during the first half of a college football game between Notre Dame and Georgia in South Bend, Indiana, on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. 

Roquan Smith has not missed a beat in his junior season so far. After leading the team in tackles last year, Smith currently stands as second on the team with 13 total tackles, including a sack.

One thing that remains Smith’s biggest strength: speed.

“The guy’s a freak,” inside linebacker Reggie Carter said. “Flies around the field. He’s fast, very talented and smart guy.”

But that quickness doesn’t just refer to foot speed. Making commitments on a play before it evolves is also somewhere Smith excels.

“It’s tough because you’ve got to make decision and you got to be able to change your decisions pretty fast and [Smith] does that well,” outside Lorenzo Carter said.

One particular series where Smith’s mental and physical speed ability were on display was in the game against Notre Dame.

In the first quarter with 2:56 remaining, Smith tackled quarterback Brandon Wimbush on first down, sacked him on second down and tackled wide reciever Cameron Smith on third down to force the Fighting Irish to punt.

But seeing feats such as these is no surprise to the members of Georgia’s defense. They’ve seen it from Smith before.

“It’s crazy because you just come to expect great things from him. He’s a leader, he’s the heart and soul of our defense, the inside linebacker,” Lorenzo Carter said. “He makes everything work. I’m just proud to have a guy like that on the inside, look to the left and see him.”

Even before this season, Georgia head coach Kirby Smart saw how talented Smith could be back in high school.

But what sets Smith apart as a college player is his work ethic according to Smart.

"I mean what y’all see out there on Saturday, I see every day in practice,” Smart said. “It’s not like going into the game you have to worry about Roquan because he’s already put the work in the bucket. Some guys don’t think practice is important. That’s not Roquan Smith. He goes out there and plays full speed every day.”

Smith has evolved as both a statistical and on-the-field leader for Georgia. Reggie Carter said Smith frequently makes calls and checks during the course of a game.

What possibly could have helped Smith get more comfortable with Georgia’s defense is just being with defensive coordinator Mel Tucker for his second season now.

“I mean being in the program a second year, you’re expected to know the stuff better than last we did last year,” Reggie Carter said. “He was doing the same thing last year. It’s paying off, it paid off last year and it’s continuing to pay off.”

Smith’s success on defense in turn helps his other teammates as well. If an offense has to focus more on keeping the ball away from Smith’s side of the field, it forces other Georgia players to step up.

“We make Roquan’s job easy, he makes our job easy,” Lorenzo Carter said. “We just try to put each other in a position to make plays.”

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/football/roquan-smith-brings-both-physical-and-mental-speed-to-the/article_322f64bc-9810-11e7-aa4e-27e4e812aea3.html

Dru, Bonckers and Drew like this

I just don't see him being there at 27 Brod. Not that I don't like the guy. He was all over the field against Bama in the NCCG. I did not see many of the Georgia games, but I know he was highly thought of. Depending on how he runs at the combine I expect him to go top 15. LK with the Panties was talked about an end of the first round kind of backer with tons of instincts, but many didn't think he was athletic enough until he ran at the combine and ended up a top 10 pick. I hope he runs well, but not too well. If he is on the fastest ILB at the combine there will be no way we sniff him. 

bigbrod81 likes this

4 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

I just don't see him being there at 27 Brod. Not that I don't like the guy. He was all over the field against Bama in the NCCG. I did not see many of the Georgia games, but I know he was highly thought of. Depending on how he runs at the combine I expect him to go top 15. LK with the Panties was talked about an end of the first round kind of backer with tons of instincts, but many didn't think he was athletic enough until he ran at the combine and ended up a top 10 pick. I hope he runs well, but not too well. If he is on the fastest ILB at the combine there will be no way we sniff him. 

When I saw Bucky's mock, I couldn't believe he had Smith going so low in the draft. I think he is a top 15 pick. When it came to defensive players in college, I had a man crush on Smith & Minkah Fitzpatrick this past season. Both share the same qualities on & off the field. Just pure heady, play makers but both are pipe dreams outside of trading up.

Bonckers likes this

Oh & Smith will probably a ridiculous 40. His closing speed shows an ability to really accelerate. My guess would be 4.5 flat to 4.58 which is fast for a LB.

Edited by bigbrod81
Bonckers likes this

I want your opinion Bonck. How would you feel about matching up Marcus Williams with Derwin James? James is a physical safety who is capable of playing in the box & who has excellent coverage skills. I know we took Vonn Bell 2 drafts ago but his game has some holes in it. Bell isn't the best tackler & blows too many coverages. I feel James could be an upgrade over Bell if a veteran isn't signed in free agency & Vaccaro isn't brought back.

I've been doing a lot of thinking since the season ended. I believe this is the year we have to mortgage the future and trade up for Baker Mayfield. Brees will be 40 after next year and the 2018 class is weak at Qb. I know we need a DE opposite Jordan,and a sideline to sideline playmaker at Lb. We could also use O-line depth. The question is do we go for it this year, or have the most important position filled for the next 15+ years. Imho, the latter is a no brainer. It would probably cost us next years #1 and possibly #2,but imo again, it would be a wise investment. The Eagles would make the Wentz trade again in a heart beat. 

Drew likes this

45 minutes ago, faceman said:

I've been doing a lot of thinking since the season ended. I believe this is the year we have to mortgage the future and trade up for Baker Mayfield. Brees will be 40 after next year and the 2018 class is weak at Qb. I know we need a DE opposite Jordan,and a sideline to sideline playmaker at Lb. We could also use O-line depth. The question is do we go for it this year, or have the most important position filled for the next 15+ years. Imho, the latter is a no brainer. It would probably cost us next years #1 and possibly #2,but imo again, it would be a wise investment. The Eagles would make the Wentz trade again in a heart beat. 

I liked Patrick Mahomes a lot more than Baker Mayfield and we would have given up a lot less to move up a few spots last year rather than a great number of spots this upcoming draft.  Nonetheless, if you really, really feel like he's your guy, you go get him.

faceman and Drew like this

2 hours ago, Dru said:

I liked Patrick Mahomes a lot more than Baker Mayfield and we would have given up a lot less to move up a few spots last year rather than a great number of spots this upcoming draft.  Nonetheless, if you really, really feel like he's your guy, you go get him.

You can blame Brod for my opine : - ) 

I recently went back and watched the games I recorded due to my work schedule. I wasn't able to watch 12 pm CST games due to work. Brod kept me informed through texts. He kept saying Ginn is outrunning Brees arm. I now see what he was talking about. Brees could still hit Ginn, but he needed a very clean pocket and the room to take a full 1-1/2 to 2 steps. The 2006-2013 Drew made those passes flat footed.

I know it's a difficult subject,but father time will always be undefeated. He's very patient and just sits back and waits. We have to move on soon. I want Mayfield because he has a competitive streak Michael Jordan would be proud of. He's worked hard to earn everything he has. The Johnny Manziel comparisons are BS. Mayfield is the first on the field and last to leave the film room. 

I read an article recently that said Grayson failed because he was intimidated by Drew's competitive streak. That wouldn't be a problem for Mayfield. 

Bonckers and bigbrod81 like this

5 hours ago, faceman said:

Who replaced Faceman with Folgers Crystals? 

Bonckers and herb like this

7 minutes ago, Saint ATN said:

Broderick Helms : )  He'll check in later.

I still don't like trading away future picks. That said, I'll make an exception for a Qb who chews barbed wire and spits napalm. I believe Mayfield is that type of Qb. Give him a defense and he'll cut your heart out. 

Bonckers and bigbrod81 like this

What would you give up, it's going to take a great deal to jump that high? We have no 2nd. Not sure what's viable to other teams as we'd basically have to give up the entire draft for a QB. Are you proposing that? 

2 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

What would you give up, it's going to take a great deal to jump that high? We have no 2nd. Not sure what's viable to other teams as we'd basically have to give up the entire draft for a QB. Are you proposing that? 

1 hour ago, Saint ATN said:

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

If my math is correct it would be this years 1st 3rd,4th 5th,and next years #1 to move up to the 4 spot with Cleveland. Baker would be available if the Browns pass on him at #1. You know me. I hate trading up,but you do it for a Qb who will lead your franchise for 15 or more seasons. Mayfield has the "It" factor I don't see in other  Qb prospects. 

Bonckers likes this

58 minutes ago, Saint ATN said:

I think he is saying you trade some picks from this draft & future picks if that's what it takes. Look around the league. Only the teams with legitimate starters are serious championship contenders. The Jags have an out of this world defense yet with a Super Bowl birth on the line, they did not have a QB who was possible of putting his team on his back in the end for the win.

The one thing that scares me the most is that Brees' play will go from really good to spiraling downward in a blink of an eye. The signs were there this season of a decline in his ability to push the ball downfield if anyone looked hard enough. It's one of those things most never see coming just like Peyton Manning. One season he was throwing 55 TDs & 2 years later a 15 yard out was nearly impossible for him to complete. I'm very aware that Manning's issues stemmed from a prior neck injury but let's not forget that Drew had his shoulder completely rebuilt 13 years ago. He has put a lot of miles & throws on that arm since then. 

I don't want to be like the Steelers (Bradshaw), Dolphins (Marino), 49ers (Young) or Cowboys (Aikman) where those organizations fell off a cliff when their Hall of Fame QBs had to retire. Let's be proactive instead so that the team can remain a contender post Brees.

faceman and Bonckers like this

11 minutes ago, bigbrod81 said:

I think he is saying you trade some picks from this draft & future picks if that's what it takes. Look around the league. Only the teams with legitimate starters are serious championship contenders. The Jags have an out of this world defense yet with a Super Bowl birth on the line, they did not have a QB who was possible of putting his team on his back in the end for the win.

The one thing that scares me the most is that Brees' play will go from really good to spiraling downward in a blink of an eye. The signs were there this season of a decline in his ability to push the ball downfield if anyone looked hard enough. It's one of those things most never see coming just like Peyton Manning. One season he was throwing 55 TDs & 2 years later a 15 yard out was nearly impossible for him to complete. I'm very aware that Manning's issues stemmed from a prior neck injury but let's not forget that Drew had his shoulder completely rebuilt 13 years ago. He has put a lot of miles & throws on that arm since then. 

I don't want to be like the Steelers (Bradshaw), Dolphins (Marino), 49ers (Young) or Cowboys (Aikman) where those organizations fell off a cliff when their Hall of Fame QBs had to retire. Let's be proactive instead so that the team can remain a contender post Brees.

Like I said the signs are there and it breaks my heart. It was the Chicago game where Ginn broke the ankles of the cb with a double move and went inside. A perfect pass would have him jogging to the endzone. Brees had time,but under threw Ginn by 3 yards. Ginn made the catch,but had to stop and come back for the ball. I know Drew is walking into Canton on the first ballot. If you take off the glasses, you can see decline in his game this year. Three years ago he hits Ginn in stride and a 50 burger is in process,

Bonckers, Drew and bigbrod81 like this

3 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

let's put it this way Mon frere. The choices we trade now will be out of the league before Mayfield hits 30. Once again, if you mortgage the future it has to be a Qb. 

Bonckers likes this