Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zeke187

Saints vs Rams

24 posts in this topic

At the Sheraton Gateway by LAX, just waking up... Kickoff’s at 1:25, going to leave the hotel for LA Memorial Colisseum around 10:30. 

Tickets are section 16, Row 2, seats 3-5. 

Not having our CBs is going to make this a rough go... We’ll see soon enough. WhoDat!

4 hours ago, BlackNGold4Life said:

At the Sheraton Gateway by LAX, just waking up... Kickoff’s at 1:25, going to leave the hotel for LA Memorial Colisseum around 10:30. 

Tickets are section 16, Row 2, seats 3-5. 

Not having our CBs is going to make this a rough go... We’ll see soon enough. WhoDat!

Hope you have a blast!

As a side note, CBS is showing this as the late game, but the visiting team determines the network which means this should be a Fox game.  I know the time was flexed but I guess the flex schedule also allows them to change the networks?  I don't ever remember that happening before but can't say I really pay attention to it either.

Saint ATN likes this

I've noticed this before this week.  Its not all NFC-Fox AFC-CBS anymore.  Not sure if it because it is the flex game or not...

If you look next week, Broncos vs Dolphins are on Fox, 49ers vs Bears are on CBS, 

Edited by Boris
Drew likes this

Calling Devante Harris garbage is an insult to garbage.

They need to let Vacarro walk next year.

Just need to take care of business in the nfc south but 1st round bye is out.

Drew was a little off today.

Edited by zeke187
Bonckers likes this

We are pretenders by everyone's standards today and we were exposed for it by a rookie coach over and over again. We didn't adjust well and we didn't do anything on D but we sure let Goff and Gurley gash us over and over again to the point of ad nauseum. Wade Philips ate Payton's lunch and the team ate the cheese. I hope this sits uncomfortably with them and in their craws all week with this sloppy performance. We have to adjust and get that fire back in their bellies. 

We were run on repeatedly in special teams giving them great starting positions, just downright terrible on D, and the O decided to let the O Line phone it in. We cannot convert 3rd downs and that is the most troubling. Too many penalties as we had to grab people. Okafors' loss is huge and it showed ALL game, and if we are relying on our secondary we are not going far into the postseason without Crawley and Lattimore. 

We still lead our division but the Rams gave everyone the playbook how to beat us and we have to clean that up or we will be going home early this year. We have to get healthy in the CB realm and we did not adjust to the loss of Okafor. Rams have great lines and have built them thru the years and its a strength for them and it showed. We struggled when we shouldn't have and when we got 2 steps forward we shot ourselves in the foot with penalties. Speaking of penalties, they were inconsistently called, but we were terrible there and many were worthy penalties due to our personnel not being good enough on our end. 

At a restaurant post-game and I can tell you being there, the game didn’t even feel close. Even when the scoreboard reflected it, the Saints were out of sorts completely. Had it not been for Alvin Kamara, we would’ve got smoked.

our passing defense has regressed horribly and without Lattimore & Crawley, everyone else’s flaws are apparent. Vaccaro needs good press corners to be effective and Harris is another Jason David/Usama Young type of corner.

Here’s to hoping for health before these Divisional games

Saint ATN and Slidell Saint like this

I gotta say the D holding them to 26 points without our 2 starting CBs was a pleasant surprise.  Did they give up some big plays?  Ofcourse they did and you had to have seen that coming.  But if the Offense comes out and plays like they can and should then we win this game.  I was expecting a shootout with the final score being like 49-45 so again down top 2 corners and starting DE 26 pts is understandable.  

As much as I've enjoyed this win streak I've been very uncomfortable with it because it seemed like a ton of luck went into alot of our wins and I knew that luck would run out sooner or later.  We are now in a situation where we have to match Carolina game for game or we lose the division.  Hell, we have to play Carolina next week and still have to go against the Falcons twice.  Those are 3 very losable games and suddenly we're staring at 10-6.  

If we don't get Lattimore and Crawley back next week (not to mention Armstead) we are probably in for a very disappointing end to what has been a very surprisingly good season.  I guess the bright side to all this is who the hell thought we were going to see 8-3 after the first two games?

39 minutes ago, zeke187 said:

Calling Devante Harris garbage is an insult to garbage.

They need to let Vacarro walk next year.

Just need to take care of business in the nfc south but 1st round bye is out.

Drew was a little off today.

Amen to Vaccaro being let go.  I think he is a knucklehead.  He is constantly flagged for stupid penalties, and missed some tackles today.  He looks slow.  How we let Malcom Jenkins go I'll never know. 

Brees got rushed early on, and that always affects him. Penalties really hurt, we had a lot of 3rd and long situations.  

As Jim Mora said, "Playoffs ?".  We won 8 in a row, and unfortunately, we are only tied for first in our division with a game against the co-leader next week.

The Saints have now been outplayed two weeks in a row.  We escaped last week, not this week.

zeke187 likes this

No quit in our guys, even if they looked like it a couple of times. Lattimore is our key to winning big. If he is back next week we will stay on top beating Carolina. If he is not back, we beat Carolina next week, staying on top, it'll just be a little harder. We are going to stay the course!

Every year we have a game like this, where it seems like all 3 sides of the ball fall apart. The Oline fell apart. The D fell apart. But I loved what I saw with Kamara. That is the shiftiest little eel I've seen in a long time. I'm disappointed, but I'm not distraught. There were enough flashes of good to keep me from despair. My biggest hope is these remaining grudge games will bring out the best and the fight in our boys. This one wasn' quite a trap game, but it wasn' a grudge game either. Those are coming up and I hope out guys are pissed off and ready to eat guts! 

zeke187 and Saint ATN like this

Down both starting corners and on the road I'm not going to panic. It wasn't a good game on any side of the ball but it happens. Time to regroup and be ready for next week. I hope we get Lattimore back next week.

I agree with the Vacarro analysis. He seems to make to many bone headed plays and its hard to watch.

Edited by QFisher
zeke187 likes this

The concern is, Lattimore went down early against Washington and Cousins lit us up. If not for a grounding penalty and the Saints probably lose that one. Today no Lattimore and no Crawley, and the big plays killed us again. 

We have the edge over Carolina because of an earlier win. All of that goes out the window should we lose to Carolina next week. Carolina would take the lead in the division, we’d be tied with Atlanta, and still have to play them twice. Atlanta is getting hot at just the right time, should we not get healthy quickly, this season could go south, fast. 

Our 8-3 record would be a whole h*ll of a lot better, if our division wasn’t so d*mn tough. 

4 of our remaining 5 are NFC South opponents, 3 of which against teams that are currently in the thick of the playoff hunt. We MUST beat Carolina and take one from the Falcons.

You’d think it’d be ludicrous to say “must win” with an 8-3 record, but that’s EXACTLY what next weeks game is. 

zeke187 and USAFSAINT like this

You nailed it on the head.  With the way the NFC is shaping up and specifically the South 8-3 is sadly a precarious position to be in.  Today sent us from dreams of another ring to maybe not even making the playoffs....it's pretty crazy.  Between last week and today the writing is on the wall that even if we make the playoffs, quality teams like the Rams, Vikings, or the smoking hot eagles will bounce our arses.  It's just insane that losing 1 game after and 8 game streak can make things look this bleak.  I'm not giving up but next week is absolutely must win, otherwise we will have to count on other teams to get us there.

The way I see it, if we cannot beat our division opponents, we probably don't deserve to be in the playoffs.   We need to win our division, at least we get a home wildcard game. 

Funny how some teams really give us a hard time, like the Redskins and Rams.   We beat the Rams last year, but they have given us a hard time over the years, regardless of their record.

I think right now, we rank below the Eagles, Vikings, Rams, and will have a tough time catching any of them,  we lose the tiebreaker with the Vikings and Rams..... I hate to say it, but I think our defense is going to have a tough time against the Falcons, who are playing pretty good right now.

One thing that would help us immensely is to play clean football. Those penalties really bit us in the butt. Those boneheaded mistakes have to be corrected even if it means bashing a few boneheads. Weirdly, I'm still not feeling the need to cut my throat. We were totally unprepared for this game, but it was not without its lessons. Onine has to get its crap together and keep Brees clean. There were too many times he got hassled or brought down. That put our banged up D right back out trying to make plays. For being beaten up they actually did not do too bad, but there needed to be some adjustments that were not made. But when I see a player just stop in the middle of a play I can't help but go HUH? 

Gotta hand it to the LA defense for disrupting the entire offense. Too bad we didn't stick to the run more, but even with that the Oline was not up to snuff. You gotta open holes for the runners and more often than not it looked like a front 14, with extra left over covering our WR. The game was just plain messy. It still feels to me like no one's mind was on this game. Looking forward to Carolina too much maybe? 

I hope someone can answer one question for me that is driving me crazy. That time out that seemed to be awarded after the play was in action. Ball snapped, Drew already passing, Alvin(I think) with a catch all brought back from a time out. Did I miss a whistle or can teams just call time out in the middle of a play? I know I missed something, but I don't know what. 

In the past the Saints have been able to bounce back from these games, especially after pulling to a single score loss (even though this looked much worse that that). All I want for Christmas is a healthy Lattimore (DROY) and Crowly and healthy Kamara (OROY), Ingram, Brees and WRs. Not much, huh? 

bigbrod81 and WhoDatinH-town like this

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/11/kenny_vaccaro_makes_no_excuses.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Kenny Vaccaro makes no excuses for poor plays in Saints' loss to Rams

Kenny Vaccaro admitted he was a bit rusty in his return to the lineup Sunday.

The New Orleans Saints safety missed the past two games following a groin injury he suffered early in their win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and some of that rust showed.

"Not even so much my body but just the mental side of it," he said. "Anytime you miss some time it's tough. But that's not an excuse. When you get back in the lineup it's time to perform, so I definitely got that knocked off." 

Vaccaro had some less-than-stellar plays Sunday in the Saints' 26-20 loss to the Rams but made no excuses and said he's working to correct those errors.

One particularly noticeable misstep was on a 53-yard reception to Rams receiver Cooper Kupp that helped set up a 7-yard Jared Goff touchdown pass to Josh Reynolds.

Vaccaro was covering Kupp but seemed to stop running while the ball was in the air, allowing Kupp to get separation and make the catch for the big gain.

"I looked back and the sun was in my eyes," Vaccaro said. "I couldn't see anything, that's why you kind of saw me freak out. It was my fault, though. Even though I couldn't see anything you just got to play through the play.

"I mean that's really the first time that's ever happened to me in my career. But no excuses. I just got to keep playing." 

Sean Payton said the team would work to clean up mistakes like those and said he expected Vaccaro to bounce back.

"I think he's one of those guys that we are going to count on down the stretch here, and certainly I expect him to continue to progress," Payton said. "He's been playing at a high level, but there were a couple tough plays. ... but that was the case for a lot of guys."

The Saints defense as a whole struggled at times in the loss, and Vaccaro hinted that the loss could serve as a wakeup call.

"We hadn't played good in back-to-back weeks on defense -- giving up too many yards," he said. "But it's good to look yourself in the mirror. It's good to go through each individual play and kind of not point fingers and understand that each person has a certain job to do.

"If we want to be successful and get back to what we were doing when we won those eight games, then we got to get back to those things that we've been doing. We kind of let that slip this last game a lot." 

The Saints face a tough stretch to close out the seaso, including four division games starting with this Sunday's afternoon matchup with the Carolina Panthers. 

Vaccaro said the Saints will have to be near perfect to beat the good teams they still have to face.

"Some of those other teams you can beat if you are almost doing everything right, but you got to be precise when you are playing, especially a high-powered offense like the Rams," he said. "They've got great coaching, good skill positions, there's a reason why they score points on everybody. That doesn't just happen... you've got to really be on point when you play these type of games."

For the past several weeks I have been obsessive with looking for video on the Saints.  I searched youtube everyday for analysis and have even been watching the madden 18 simulation games.......this week i don't think i can stomach it...Hi, my name is Chris and I'm a fair weather fan...............

Bonckers, Chuck and Saint ATN like this

A loss is frustrating, ofc. BUT with 1 DE and 2 CB starters down, we were still able to stay in the match for a very long time, even though, the final score is not really reflecting what happened during this game.

Our O got exposed, mostly because of the sloppy play of the OLine. Drew had no time to throw, and no lanes were blocked open by the OLINe. Only AK41 could get something going, but that was more of a singular effort, then a team effort.

Without the starting CBs in the line-up, Vacarro turns from an asset to a liability. He was outright terrible.

The team has toget their crap together for the Panthers game. At least we need to win 3 of the next 5 (vs. Panther, both vs. Falcons) to go to the playoffs 100%. I'm convinced the team can do it.

Chuck, Bonckers and Saint ATN like this

In defense of Vaccaro (pun intended), did anybody really expect him to be able to cover the slot receiver effectively, as often as he was forced to? He was asked to do something that, i feel, he is not capable of. D*mn near everyone on this message board (and believe me, Saints fans around me at the game) knew we were in trouble if we threw Harris out there. Unfortunately, we were left with little to no choice given our circumstances. I will give payton credit for benching him and inserting Moore.

When news first broke that Lattimore & Crawley weren't going to play, I had convinced myself that this would be a loss & hoped for the best. After they kicked off and I watched the Rams march towards me from my end zone seats, effortlessly, I knew we were "in for it". Before the game the Rams admitted that their game plan was to attack our secondary, fast strikes, make us have to play coverage. They just as easily could have fed Gurley all game, but down TWO starting corners, they saw blood in the water and struck. Doesn't necessarily make them "great", it makes them like d*mn near every other team who has a wounded opponent, go for the kill shot. 

Remember in the Super Bowl when Young had to come in for a play as the Colts were driving? In the Super Bowl DVD Payton even says into his mic, "They're gonna go right at Usama" and Manning (the surgeon that he was) did just that on the very next play, for the TD. 

Now that i've had some time to digest what happened, i share a lot of folks on this boards thoughts, we could've done MUCH worse defensively. We did what we could given the talent that we had to put on the field. 

The offense was a completely different story. Consistent pressure on Brees turned him into the "what are you thinking Drew" that comes to play a few times a year. He made some terrible decisions and easily could have had two for sure INTs had the Rams defenders just not dropped it the way our defense seems to do, when it falls in their laps. 

This year's continued success or unraveling will come down to health. If the defense can get healthy enough to where they're not giving up opening drive TDs or chunks of yardage through the air, forcing us to play from behind, we'll continue to succeed. Should we not recover from our injuries, quickly, the opposing QBs we have left to face, will feed on us. Cam Newton will be a completely different QB this Sunday should Lattimore & Crawley have to miss more time. 

zeke187, Chuck, Saint ATN and 2 others like this