Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbrod81

QB Prospects

61 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2017 at 8:47 PM, Saint ATN said:

Ya that game was over once that finger went. He's tough and has the vision and as stated his deep balls are beautiful powerful arcs. He's raw, but has the skillsets and seems like a Payton kinda guy.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Grier is the Saints pick in the second round.

West Virginia QB Will Grier schedules predraft meeting with Saints

usatsi_11746739.jpg?w=2000&h=1200&crop=1

The New Orleans Saints sent a strong contingent of scouts and front office executives to the West Virginia Mountaineers pro day in Morgantown, and we have a good idea of which prospects drew their attention. Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Saints are one of ten teams to schedule a meeting with Mountaineers quarterback Will Grier. New Orleans had nine representatives at the pro day, the most of any single team, per Alex Hickey of the West Virginia MetroNews. The Saints wanted all available eyes to take in Grier’s throwing session and study wide receiver David Sills, who they previously contactedat the Reese’s Senior Bowl in Mobile.

Grier is an impressive draft prospect, and it makes sense for the Saints to take a deeper look at him. He’s completed 65.6 percent of his passes and played his best football as a senior, throwing for 3,864 yards and scoring 37 touchdowns against just 8 interceptions in 11 games. He makes good decisions with the ball and remains competitive in the face of pressure.

He may also be available when the Saints make their first draft selection. Grier hasn’t been as hyped up as other quarterback prospects like Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, and Daniel Jones, but his college production is right there with each of them. On top of that, the only Saints quarterback under contract after next season is J.T. Barrett — Drew Brees, Teddy Bridgewater, and Taysom Hill are all on track to see their contracts expire. If the Saints see something they like in Grier, don’t be shocked if they bring him into the fold.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/22/saints-draft-prospects-will-grier-west-virginia-pro-day/

I've watched a lot Will Grier over the past 2 seasons & one of the more impressive aspects of his game is his ball placement. That is one part of Brees' game that makes him so special & Grier has some of that in him as well.

Now, I had been one of the biggest skeptics of college QBs who come out of Air Raid offenses but the recent NFL success of Patrick Mahomes & Baker Mayfield has caused me to have to reevaluate that stance. The Art Briles version of the Air Raid was more simple with QBs having less decision making presnap. While those Air Raid offenses who stuck more to the Mike Leach philosophy like Dana Hologersen, Kliff Kingsbury & Lincoln Riley, placed more of an emphasis on presnap reads. Brett Kollmann released a video where he breaks the differences down as well as an outstanding breakdown of the Mike Leach coaching tree. I will add one tidbit in that Kollmann doesn't. Kevin Sumlin was the WRs coach for Joe Tiller at Purdue from 1998-2000. I think we all are aware of who played QB at Purdue in that time frame.

Bonckers likes this

5 minutes ago, Saint ATN said:

Needless to say, I'd love to have Grier, I just don't think he'll be there. 

I don't either, and do you run with 4 QB's on the roster? I mean really who would you cut? Do you cut Bridgewater, Hill, or Grier after preseason? I can't see them running with 4 QB's. 

5 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I don't either, and do you run with 4 QB's on the roster? I mean really who would you cut? Do you cut Bridgewater, Hill, or Grier after preseason? I can't see them running with 4 QB's. 

Technically, you are correct but most back up QBs don't spend time playing special teams, WR, RB or TE. Because Hill is different due to being so versatile, it would allow the opportunity to have 4 QBs on the roster.

Bonckers likes this

12 hours ago, bigbrod81 said:

Technically, you are correct but most back up QBs don't spend time playing special teams, WR, RB or TE. Because Hill is different due to being so versatile, it would allow the opportunity to have 4 QBs on the roster.

I do agree that he is not a traditionally QB, but I still think the problem is that he is a QB and that is another roster spot. IDK maybe they would make a trade if they got Grier, but it would cause some issues with the roster numbers in my opinion. I mean shoot before Hill Payton usually only carried two QB's. Hill gave him the excuse of not wasting a roster spot on a backup, but that would still push him to 3 which means cutting a player otherwise that could have been used. 

3 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I do agree that he is not a traditionally QB, but I still think the problem is that he is a QB and that is another roster spot. IDK maybe they would make a trade if they got Grier, but it would cause some issues with the roster numbers in my opinion. I mean shoot before Hill Payton usually only carried two QB's. Hill gave him the excuse of not wasting a roster spot on a backup, but that would still push him to 3 which means cutting a player otherwise that could have been used. 

Different circumstances calls for a different approach. Payton realizes that Brees is at the back end of his career. With Brees in his prime, he was able to get away with only carrying 2 QBs at times. At no point before in his tenure was Payton ever trying to prepare for life after Drew Brees. He is now. I get the feeling that Sean would like as many pupils in the building to see which possesses the ability to lead after Brees is done.

The fact that Hill plays special teams is huge because usually that is a spot held for someone who really only sees time on special teams so that allows him the flexibility to run with 4 QBs.

One last thing. With Brees being 40, his body doesn't respond the way it once did from the regular nicks & bruises of playing professional football. Brees has dealt & played through several injuries over his time with the Saints most notably a MCL sprain, torn plantar fascia & pectoral strain. He also had an AC joint injury where he missed a game a few seasons back. At this point in his career, such injuries now may cost him a large portion of the season simply due to the healing process taking much longer because of his age. There was plenty of speculation that Brees injured his shoulder while trying to make a tackle after throwing a pick during the second Falcons matchup this past season. (1:18 mark in the video linked below)

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/video/falcons-vs-saints-highlights-week-12

Some feel that the possible injury lead to the fall off of his production on the back end of the season. My point is, this current roster is Super Bowl caliber. In the event of any injury to Brees, it's best to be prepared in advance than it is to scramble at the last minute. I don't think anyone wants to see another potential Super Bowl run go down the drain.

1 hour ago, bigbrod81 said:

Grier with a score of 30. Drew Brees & Peyton Manning both had scores of 28.

I've always been a bit skeptical about the extent the Wonderlic translates for NFL QBs.  But there's no denying that Sean Payton's offense requires a cerebral QB guiding it.  I think that is part of why Brees fit into the scheme like Payton drafted the entire plan for him...he grasped it quickly and easily and, I believe, at some point started collaborating with Payton in developing it.  I also think it's why Teddy Bridgewater is fascinated with the offense and was willing to pass on other starting opportunities for the potential to get his hands (and mind) on this one.  If Grier fits that cerebral QB mold, I can see Payton going after him.

bigbrod81, Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

I am just not sold that Grier will be there. If he is there we could see us taking him. But truthfully I would rather grab a player for depth at a key position besides QB or a starter and just plan to roll with Teddy moving forward. Not to say that I know better than any of you or Payton. At this point, we don't know how much longer the window will be open, and my concern boils down to the cap less than Brees at this point. When he does walk away I feel Payton can manage a playbook to work in the QB's best interest if that is Teddy, Hill or even a Chase Daniel type. But Brees cap hit will make it hard to retain most of the roster that is my concern. That is my main concern at this point. I truly believe we are building a stronger defense if we can get a top 10 defense I feel Payton can manage a top 15 offense without Brees at QB very easily.