Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbrod81

QB Prospects

50 posts in this topic

So far in this early college football season, Baker Mayfield & Josh Rosen have been the standout players at the QB among those who will probably be available for the next NFL Draft. Mayfield just went on the road & beat a good Ohio State team while putting the Sooners on his back. Him planting the OU flag midfield after the game may have been a bit much but I love his passion.

I was really impressed with Josh Rosen last week. It wasn't just the historic comeback or the way he played in the 4th quarter that was the most impressive. It was the fact that he was beaten up for 3 quarters, constantly hit & harassed yet he picked himself up to lead a comeback from a 44-10 deficit. 

Sam Darnold hasn't played up to the hype just yet. He hasn't been bad yet he is isn't putting up the numbers we saw him put up late last season. Josh Allen has had his ups & downs adjusting to a new group of WRs. He did better yesterday but I want to see if he continues to improve with his communication skills between his new group of pass catchers.

Jake Browning had an ok day yesterday. Frankly, I will be very blunt & honest about Browning. I see a good college QB who will struggle in the NFL because of his lack of arm strength. I just don't see the elite physical tools. Browning's intelligence is greater than physical gifts.

Mason Randolph of Oklahoma State is off to a fast start. He has all the tools to be a good to great QB. He just may throw the prettiest deep ball of all these prospects listed. I just want to see his leadership abilities later on in big games or when the Cowboys face adversity 

Unfortunately DeAndre Francois was lost for the season last weekend. It would be wise of him to rehab & return to FSU next season. I hope the kid doesn't get bad advice & enters the next draft. 

Lamar Jackson is a guy I can't figure out how he will do on the next level. He looks a lot better in the pocket this season yet he still relies on his legs too much for my liking. With his frame, he will get killed in the NFL running as much as he does but he does have a cannon for an arm & runs a pro style based offense at Louisville.

The one guy who hasn't previously been mentioned is West Virginia's Will Grier. He has made a big jump in my opinion & will get more attention as the college season & draft gets closer. I love this guy's moxy. He is a true gunslinger & a tough SOB.

As of right now, the 3 prospects who show me that underrated yet very important trait of being a leader of men are Mayfield, Rosen & Grier. Its still very early in the season but these 3 are the men amongst boys in terms of leadership.

Dru likes this

Brod honestly I'm not sure its smart for Francois to go back next year. If you are think about the argument could be made it might be smarter for him to leave and go pro. He would more than likely not get picked in the first round. Or if he does it won't be in the beginning of the first round. Which means if he falls it will be to a team with a deep roster more than likely like a Pitt, NE, or maybe even us if we make the playoffs. If he doesn't go in the first round he avoids the 5th year option and gets his first contract sooner. I think mentally he has it, and physically if his knee heals he has it too. Honestly I would tell him if I had his ear to gauge things. How many starters is FSU going to return, if they keep most starters and Akers looks good than you come back but if a lot leave early for the pros you have to think he will at least think about it hard. If I was him I would think about it. 

bigbrod81 likes this

48 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

Brod honestly I'm not sure its smart for Francois to go back next year. If you are think about the argument could be made it might be smarter for him to leave and go pro. He would more than likely not get picked in the first round. Or if he does it won't be in the beginning of the first round. Which means if he falls it will be to a team with a deep roster more than likely like a Pitt, NE, or maybe even us if we make the playoffs. If he doesn't go in the first round he avoids the 5th year option and gets his first contract sooner. I think mentally he has it, and physically if his knee heals he has it too. Honestly I would tell him if I had his ear to gauge things. How many starters is FSU going to return, if they keep most starters and Akers looks good than you come back but if a lot leave early for the pros you have to think he will at least think about it hard. If I was him I would think about it. 

Dalvin Cook's brother will be a freshman making for possibly the top backfield in the country. My biggest reason for saying he should return is lack of film on his development. All NFL scouts will have to go on is physical tools & his red shirt freshman game film. Scouts love to see the development from a year to year basis & Francois won't have that.

On the other hand I can see your point. FSU has to do something about their offensive line. Fisher has drawn criticism from fans concerning his backing of line coach Rick Trickett. He is awful & it is showing up on the field. Had FSU been able to adjust to Bama's adjustments of blitzes & stunts that began in 2nd quarter, maybe the outcome of that game is different. Maybe Francois doesn't get hurt either. I've followed Nick Saban for a very long time. His bread & better is to bring pressure when a QB is having success with the pass against his defense. Francois was carving up Bama early on until Saban started using his array of exotic blitzes. The Seminoles had to know that was coming yet Trickett had his guys unprepared for that onslaught. They are going to get bulldozed by that Clemson front when that game comes around. So yeah, I can see Francois questioning whether or not it will be worth while going back to take another beating in 2018 if Trickett remains O-Line coach.

Edited by bigbrod81
Bonckers likes this

Apologies to Luke Falk who I left out of my original list of QBs. Falk is deadly accurate & is another legitimate prospect as well.

Luke Falk throws six touchdowns as Washington State stays unbeaten with 52-23 win over Oregon State

Time and time again, Luke Falk has made the Oregon State Beavers pay simply because once a year they’ve decided it was a swell idea to share the same field on the same day as the Washington State quarterback.

The Beavers have stomached a few of Falk’s best days as a college football player, so with OSU on the Palouse for Saturday’s Pac-12 opener, the Cougars signal-caller was on schedule for another hallmark day behind center.

Falk posted eye-popping numbers, passing for 396 yards while matching a school record with six touchdowns in a 52-23 shellacking of the Beavers at Martin Stadium. The Cougars, ranked No. 21 nationally, stayed unbeaten this season (3-0, 1-0) as their quarterback mercilessly wrapped up his four-year run against OSU.

The Beavers never did beat Falk, making him the only QB in WSU history to win four games against a single school. And the OSU defensive backs might shiver when they hear Falk’s career numbers against the Beavers.

He finishes 153-of-206 passing with a completion rate higher than 74 percent. He finishes with 1,689 yards. He finishes with 22 touchdowns. In 16 quarters against the Beavers, WSU’s fourth-year starter was only intercepted twice.

Saturday was a dim day for the visitors from Corvallis, but at least Falk is finally out of their hair.

“My hat goes off to the throws that were there, and the contested balls that were caught,” OSU coach Gary Andersen said. “It was as impressive as I’ve been around.”

It was a bounce-back game for Falk, who was out of character in last week’s triple-overtime win over Boise State. He finished with 193 yards and no touchdowns in that game and had one interception.

Through two games, the downfield passing game was something of a lost art. Saturday, it was easily the Cougars’ best asset.

Tavares Martin Jr. reeled in 10 passes for a career-best 194 yards and three touchdowns. Isaiah Johnson-Mack, the outside target opposite Martin Jr., hauled in nine balls for 79 yards and two more touchdowns. Inside receiver Kyle Sweet made three catches for 32 yards and was on the end of Falk’s sixth touchdown.

“They’ve been having a good camp, been having good practices and it’s just good to see it in a game today,” Falk said. “And that’s their potential right there, they can play that good every week.”

A seventh TD would’ve given Falk the school record. That information wasn’t relayed on to WSU coach Mike Leach, who replaced Falk with backup Tyler Hilinski midway through the fourth quarter.

“Nobody bothered to tell me that, so I had no idea,” WSU coach Mike Leach said. “I probably would’ve let him get it. Maybe would’ve put him in there. … Probably would’ve, didn’t know he was one shy.”

Falk opened the game completing seven of his first nine passes and lofted a rainbow to Martin Jr., who made a basket catch in the end zone, giving the Cougars a 7-0 lead with the 21-yard score.

Oregon State marched 31 yards on the next drive, but elected to punt after the drive stalled on the WSU 36-yard line. Nick Porebski left the Cougars one yard shy of their own goal line and the Beavers put two points on the board on the next play when Jamal Morrow couldn’t break free from the end zone on a dump-off pass to Falk.

The Cougars didn’t call their first designed run until there was 10:40 left in the second quarter, but a 27-yard gain from James Williams set Falk up for his second touchdown pass – a 20-yard end-zone fade to Johnson-Mack, who came down with the ball despite airtight coverage from Xavier Crawford.

Johnson-Mack shedded Crawford, the OSU corner who’d been ruled out earlier in the week, for a 2-yard touchdown later in the period and finished the game with career highs in catches, TD catches and receiving yards.

Only a few times did WSU’s outside targets, both Belle Glade, Florida, natives who attended Dwyer High School, come out on the wrong end of a one-on-one battle.

“I think (Luke) always trusts us,” Johnson-Mack said. “We were just in a lull as an offense, it wasn’t just solely on Luke the past two weeks. It was on us, too, so we just all came together this week.”

OSU cut it to 14-9 on a 7-yard scoring from Ryan Nall in the second quarter, but the scoring strikes to Martin Jr. and Johnson-Mack extended WSU’s lead to 28-9 at halftime.

Nall’s physical running meant more trouble for the Cougars in the second half. The Beavers’ junior pinballed through WSU’s front seven on a play in the third quarter and broke two tackles once he got to the second level to finish off a 45-yard touchdown run.

He finished with 15 carries for 118 yards and two touchdowns and ran up his two-year total against the Cougars up to 249 yards and four touchdowns.

But Falk fired to Martin Jr. on a slant during the next drive and once the junior broke through a gaping hole in the OSU secondary, there was nothing the Beavers could do to stop him from going 57 yards into the end zone unimpeded.

“He’s dynamic,” Falk said of Martin Jr. “He’s not a small guy by any means and he’s got his good hands and he can make people miss, so he’s just a real dynamic dude out there.”

WSU scored its third defensive touchdown in two games when cornerback Marcellus Pippins flew around the edge on a designed blitz to hit OSU QB Jake Luton on his blindside. The ball popped out and Cougar linebacker took it 40 yards the other way for a scoop-and-score touchdown that made it 49-16, giving the Cougars their largest lead 10 seconds into the fourth quarter.

Luton later took a violent shot to the head from Cougars safety Jalen Thompson, who rammed his shoulder into Luton’s helmet as the QB was trying to evade the pocket. Luton didn’t move for nearly 15 minutes and family members rushed onto the field before the Beavers starter was carted off the field on a stretcher.

“I’ve kind of been in a similar situation and you never want to see somebody in that,” Falk said.

Reports indicate that Luton, the former Idaho QB, was moving all extremities when he arrived at the hospital.

Senior linebacker Peyton Pelluer, the Pac-12’s reigning Defensive Player of the Week, left the field early in the second quarter with an apparent injury. He didn’t return to the game and was replaced by Nate DeRider.

“Doing a fantastic job and thought he had a pretty good game this game,” Leach said of Pelluer, whose status remains unclear.

DeRider had a respectable game in Pelluer’s place with five tackles and one tackle-for-loss.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/16/falk-throws-four-touchdowns-to-give-washington-sta/#/0

8 hours ago, Dru said:

Oregon State is a bad football team.  We'll see as Falk has to actually play somebody.

I can't wait for Washington State vs Oregon on Oct. 7.  Oregon looks like a well oiled machine again under new head coach Willie Taggert. They shut down Josh Allen yesterday.

Edited by bigbrod81

What are your thoughts on Allen from Wyoming?  I mean, Wyoming isn't exactly the school known to be an NFL machine. So, he may not have all the tools as far as surrounding cast, but in terms of his play, what is your honest opinion?

Interesting breakdown good read. Not sure quit yet who the best of the crop is. I think it's a little early in the season to know I would say in the next month to 6 weeks we will have a really goo idea though. 

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2017/10/27/16553854/new-orleans-saints-lamar-jackson-baker-mayfield-will-grier-louisville-cardinals-oklahoma-sooners-wvu

Saints’ choice of future quarterbacks is clear in 2018 NFL Draft

Don’t buy the hype. There’s only three or four guys the Saints should seriously scout this year. Drew Brees can’t play forever so you should get hip to these prospects.

by John Sigler  Oct 27, 2017, 7:59am CDT
861396176.0.jpg DALLAS, TX: Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Bakery Mayfield (6) celebrates a 29-24 Cotton Bowl win over the Texas Longhorns in Dallas, Texas.  Photo by Richard W. Rodriguez/Getty Images

So the NFL Draft-covering media apparatus has been badly overhyping next year’s quarterback class (as usual). Before I get to the good passers of tomorrow, let’s review the trendy names and my thoughts on them.

Disclaimer: I put this together after binging through all the DraftBreakdown.com game cutups I could find last weekend, so people more knowledgable than me are out there and you should listen to them. The anonymous team execs and scouts who will get fired for being wrong about all of this next year are not those guys. That’s not entirely true, their input is just as valuable as anyone else who’s put in the work. I guess what I’m saying is don’t put them on a pedestal just because they know a guy who got them a job in the NFL. They’re just as fallible as me and you.

Another disclaimer: a number of these guys are young underclassmen and may return to school. I’m of the opinion that if they can stay in school, they should. A strong cautionary tale for them is former Miami Hurricanes passer Brad Kaaya, who was highly-recruited and left school too soon. Now he’s been drafted late, waived, claimed, and released again more times than I can count. All that said to say that names on this list may not actually end up declaring early for the draft.

• Sam Darnold needs another year at USC or he’ll be the next Blake Bortles. Too often he throws with his feet parallel to the line of scrimmage, leading to errant passes and painful turnovers. He has the nebulous “it” factor teams covet and carries himself with the confidence and humility you look for out of a leader. He just hasn’t seen enough football to become the face of a franchise.
PASADENA, CA:  UCLA Bruins quarterback Josh Rosen (3) looks to throw against the Texas A&M Aggies defense at the Rose Bowl. PASADENA, CA: UCLA Bruins quarterback Josh Rosen (3) looks to throw against the Texas A&M Aggies defense at the Rose Bowl.  Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
  • The other Los Angeles-area quarterback and the best Josh in this draft class, Josh Rosen, is actually pretty good. He’s got a great mind for football and seems to understand the game on a high level. Like Tony Romo, Rosen can smoothly comprehend all of the moving parts on the field and how they work together. There isn’t a throw he can’t make. NFL teams will have questions about his health and outspoken political views, but I would trust him to win a game for my team.
  • Josh #2, Josh Allen out of Wyoming, is worse than Blaine Gabbert and evaluators making excuses for him are committing an injustice. He should grad-transfer to, like, the Wisconsin Badgers where he can learn to play behind a real offensive line and NFL scouts can see if he’s really as bad as his game tape and numbers suggest. I really hope they stop gassing this kid up so that he doesn’t get thrown to the wolves.
  • Washington State quarterback Luke Falk is not good. I’m tired of watching him hurt my Coogs on PAC-12 games after dark. But if you liked Nathan Peterman or C.J. Beathardthis past year you’ll probably like him, too.
  • Mason Rudolph is effective in the Oklahoma State offense and I could see him being a Kirk Cousins-like guy at the next level. Or maybe he’s Andy Dalton. Either way I don’t see him being the reason you have a winning season, I’m just not sure what he does better than other prospects. His receivers seem to have to adjust to off-the-mark passes for him more than others but I don’t have any empirical evidence to support that.
  • Two sleepers are West Virginia Mountaineers gunslinger Will Grier and NC State Wolfpack leader Ryan Finley. Both guys play with poise and have impressive arm strength. I wish we had a larger sample size of game tape for each of them, though. If you’re okay with waiting until the third round or later to pick a passer, these are the names to know.

Okay, so of that group the only guys I think might be pro-ready are Rosen, maybe Rudolph, and eventually Grier and/or Finley. Those are all acceptable choices. Here’s the two quarterbacks I’ll plant a flag and die on a hill for:

Lamar Jackson, Louisville Cardinals (6-foot-3, 215-pounds)

LOUISVILLE, KY:  Louisville Cardinals quarterback Lamar Jackson (8) prepares to throw against the Clemson Tigers defense at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium. LOUISVILLE, KY: Louisville Cardinals quarterback Lamar Jackson (8) prepares to throw against the Clemson Tigers defense at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.  Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images

The lazy comparison for Jackson is Michael Vick. The better look is Randall Cunningham. Cunningham (6-foot-4, 215-pounds) is a closer match to Jackson’s playstyle and listed measurements than Vick (6-foot-0, 210-pounds). Vick was a magician, making plays with his legs and throwing the football over them mountains, but Cunningham played with a confidence in the pocket nearer to Jackson.

A lot of the criticism surrounding Jackson as a prospect is coded language. “Can he pick up an NFL offense”, “better athlete for receiver than quarterback”, “can he read a defense”, and so on and so forth. That’s all malarkey thrown around by not-so-subtly racist analysts and decision-makers. It’s been said about everyone from Russell Wilson to Cam Newton, Jameis Winstonto Tyrod Taylor, and every other quarterback of color. The sooner that kind of language is put in the garbage, the better.

The critiques about Jackson’s arm strength and accuracy are just as baseless as those leveled at young Houston Texans star Deshaun Watson last year. I’d love to see what plays Sean Payton would design for Jackson in consideration of his field vision and mobility. They would set the NFL on fire.

So, for the record: Jackson is the best quarterback in the draft and I’d love for the Saints to have him. He would be my first choice. I’m really hoping he won’t be available because the NFL isn’t as dumb as I fear and the Saints will be picking too far back (32nd overall, because they’re winning the Super Bowl this year).

Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma Sooners (6-foot-1, 224-pounds)

WACO, TX:  Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Baker Mayfield (6) drops back to pass against the Baylor Bears defense at McLane Stadium. WACO, TX: Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Baker Mayfield (6) drops back to pass against the Baylor Bears defense at McLane Stadium.  Photo by Cooper Neill/Getty Images

I’m going to post two scouting reports. One is written about Mayfield, and the other is about a quarterback who’s been playing for a while. Guess which is which:

Positives... Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages...Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle...Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket...Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move... Throws across his body with great consistency...Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion...Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes...Shows good judgement and keen field vision...Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure...Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity...Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains...Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center...Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.

Negatives...Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun...Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws...Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

And the other report:

Positives...A good athlete with mobility. Finds a way to wiggle out of trouble and can take off running for first downs. Not a sprinter but can’t be ignored as a runner...Solid arm strength. Demonstrated on multiple occasions that he can cut it loose down the field with enough velocity to hit receivers in stride...Shows quickness to get the ball out fast. No extra time taken when having to get rid of it. Serves him well when pressure is in his face...Accuracy and ball placement show up even when he’s on the run. Does a good job of not forcing his receivers to constantly adjust to the football in flight...Doesn’t lack for toughness. Took some pretty nasty shots in some games and kept getting back up for more. Teammates will approve of that...Can deliver some camera-juking pump fakes, indicating he likely has big hands. That will explain how he’s able to deliver the ball so well.

Negatives...Has lived in the shotgun his entire college career. Played in a classic spread offense. No idea how to play under center or take drops...Lack of size is going to be a concern. Though not extremely short, he’s giving up vital inches that will make vision and healthy primary questions at the next level...Somewhat reckless at times with his decision-making. Will throw into tight coverages, trusting in his accuracy that will lead to interceptions in the NFL...Can have a bad tendency to hold the football trying to keep plays alive. Opens him up to frequent hits and also fumbling the football.

If it wasn’t clear, the first report was written way back about Drew Brees when he was setting records for the Purdue Boilermakers. The second report was written earlier this year about Mayfield. It’s okay if you’re shocked by how similar they are.

Mayfield is torching every defense that lines up against him. He’s the most-accurate passer in college football and a fiery leader who will inspire guys to rally around him just like Brees has. Mayfield plays the game with a high degree of difficulty and would be a stellar fit in Sean Payton’s fast-paced offense.

For whatever it’s worth (probably very little), Mayfield’s high school is just 22 miles from Brees’ Texas hometown. It’s very possible the two have played on the same fields earlier in life and could share a stronger tutor-student relationship than Brees didn’t seem to have with Garrett Grayson, a relative outsider from the Pacific Northwest. Who knows?

bigbrod81 and Saint ATN like this

I really love Mayfield's game, work ethic & leadership skills but at times he let's his emotions get the best of him. He gets too hyped. He has to learn to keep his emotions in check. He let them get away from him yesterday at Kansas. This was not a good look.

Edited by bigbrod81

I agree Brod, but they wouldn't shake his hand at the coin toss either. They were giving him crap all day. still he has to be better than that to be a QB in the NFL a franchise leader. 

bigbrod81 likes this

4 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I agree Brod, but they wouldn't shake his hand at the coin toss either. They were giving him crap all day. still he has to be better than that to be a QB in the NFL a franchise leader. 

Oh I know, the 2 young kids at the coin toss wouldn't shake his hand either. It was real petty by everyone involved with the Kansas program. Jayhawk players were yapping almost after every play. Mayfield just needed to let his play do his talking. Go hang 50 on them in their house. Make the fans leave at halftime. Just don't do the crotch grabbing thingy.

Bonckers likes this

17 minutes ago, Saint ATN said:

Grier from WVU has to have a hat in this ring too. His deep ball is a thing of beauty.

Support. And he is super tough. He continued to battle after this yesterday. I love Will Grier too.

Saint ATN likes this

Sources Tell Us: Buzz building for WVU QB Will Grier

0ap3000000867084_video_player_cp.jpg

Our analysts are constantly talking to NFL and college sources about players in the college game. This week, NFL.com analyst Lance Zierlein shares some of what NFL folks are saying about a couple of the game's top quarterbacks -- West Virginia's Will Grier and Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph. The QBs will meet on Saturday in a highly anticipated Big 12 matchup.

The scoop: "I think what happened is that with all the focus on the big three (Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold and Josh Allen), quarterbacks like (Will) Grier (West Virginia), the Memphis quarterback (Riley Ferguson) and Jeremiah Briscoe (Sam Houston State) flew under the radar for a lot of scouts. Grier really has scouts taking notice now. ... I need to start watching him because the production has been impressive." -- NFC scout

The skinny: The stats have indeed been impressive for the Florida transfer. Grier is completing 66.3 percent of his passes heading into Week 9, with 2,467 yards (No. 7 in the FBS), 26 touchdowns (leads the FBS) and just 5 interceptions. Grier's completion percentage has benefitted from a fair amount of short throws, but 21 of his 26 TD passes have come via intermediate or deep balls.

His playing style reminds me of an even more excitable Baker Mayfield, but Grier doesn't share Mayfield's outstanding deep-ball accuracy. He might have flown under the radar previously, but NFL scouts are beginning to evaluate Grier's strengths and weaknesses much more closely now.

The scoop: "I think if you spoke with 10 different scouts you would get at least four different opinions about him. I've just seen too many of those system quarterbacks struggle to make it in the league so I'm hesitant to buy in. He has gotten better this year and I know some scouts who think he goes inside the first round. I probably won't be one of them (when I set my grade for him)." -- NFC scout on Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph

The skinny: I still have some concerns about Rudolph, as well, but his play has become more consistent this season. He has good football intelligence and displays an above-average level of touch and anticipation as he makes throws. The senior also has shown his toughness when it's time to duck his head and get the first down or the touchdown with his legs.

I worry less about the "system" and more about inconsistencies with his arm strength. He doesn't always drive the ball with his lower half, which can rob him of some velocity. On tape, Rudolph appears to be more than just a system guy.

Follow Lance Zierlein on Twitter @LanceZierlein.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000867277/article/sources-tell-us-buzz-builds-for-west-virginias-will-grier?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Dcollege-football&p.ct=CFB 24/7&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23ffffff&p.bgc1m=%23000000&sr=amp

Next Brees, Vick? Ranking Heisman finalists as NFL prospects

bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
NFL.com Analyst

The finalists for the 2017 Heisman Trophy were revealed Monday night, with Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield, Stanford's Bryce Love and Louisville's Lamar Jackson making the cut. With a number of recent winners enjoying success in the NFL, I thought it was a great time to project how this year's class could make their mark in the league. I've ranked the finalists based on how I view them as prospects and offered an NFL comp for each below.

1. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

NFL comparison: Drew Brees

The two-time Heisman Trophy finalist has enjoyed a meteoric rise in the scouting community after putting up video-game-like production this season. Mayfield leads the nation in passer efficiency rating (203.76) and has thrown for 4,340 yards and 41 touchdowns. Those numbers come on the heels of a stellar junior campaign where he posted over 3,900 passing yards and 40 touchdowns. Given that kind of production and efficiency in a Power Five conference, scouts are certainly intrigued by his dynamic skills.

Listed at 6-foot-1, 220 pounds, Mayfield, like Brees, lacks the prototypical dimensions evaluators typically look for in QB1s, but Mayfield's electric game has prompted some to ignore those standards.

He's a pinpoint passer with outstanding timing and anticipation. Mayfield is one of the best "catch-and-fire" tossers that I've ever seen, exhibiting a quick release and versatile delivery that allows him to work around defenders in his throwing lane. Mayfield's unique delivery allows him to play among trees in the pocket, which is critical for a short QB1 in the league.

Mayfield is a disciplined and refined pocket passer. He fully exhausts all of the options in a play, which allows him to occasionally create big plays in the passing game when he targets the third or fourth option in the progression. Although he will drift and float in the pocket while waiting for his designated receivers to come open, Mayfield's consistency as a passer will lead some evaluators to ignore his occasional "happy" feet.

On the move, Mayfield is a dangerous dual-threat playmaker on the perimeter. He's capable of making accurate throws rolling to either side of the field and he can pick up chunk yardage on impromptu scrambles. Although he isn't an elite athlete (expected to run in the 4.8s in the 40-yard dash), Mayfield flashes enough speed and quickness to run away from defenders in the open field while picking up critical first downs. As a prototypical "WCO" (West Coast offense) quarterback, Mayfield's mobility and improvisational skills make him a perfect fit for a number of offenses in the league.

If I had to cite a couple of concerns, I would point out Mayfield's extensive experience in an Air Raid system and questions about his character as potential issues in the evaluation process. Although we've recently seen Jared Goff grow into a solid QB1, the NFL track record of Air Raid alums isn't good and some scouts will worry about Mayfield being a "system" player at the position.

In regards to his character, the series of incidents surrounding Mayfield this season will turn some teams off. From his offseason arrest for public intoxication to his lewd gesture during the Kansas game, evaluators will question his maturity and leadership skills. Although his Oklahoma teammates and coaches vouch for him, the list of transgressions will prompt scouts to dig a little deeper into his background for answers.

Overall, Mayfield is an intriguing prospect with a game that suits plenty of offenses in the NFL. He isn't a prototypical QB1, but his production and performance could make him a long-term starter in the right situation.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000888528/article/next-brees-vick-ranking-heisman-finalists-as-nfl-prospects?campaign=tw-cf-sf175711973-sf175711973&sf175711973=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Our next QB needs to be tall enough to see over the line.  No one on any NCAA roster is the "next Drew Brees" until they prove they are under NFL center over time.

Rosen and Mayfield will be long gone by the time we're up and I pray to God that we do not again trade future picks to move up. It would take a Ditka-esque Bush league move to get there. Falk and Grier are way more realistic.

Bonckers and faceman like this

On 12/12/2017 at 6:15 AM, herb said:

Our next QB needs to be tall enough to see over the line.  No one on any NCAA roster is the "next Drew Brees" until they prove they are under NFL center over time.

Rosen and Mayfield will be long gone by the time we're up and I pray to God that we do not again trade future picks to move up. It would take a Ditka-esque Bush league move to get there. Falk and Grier are way more realistic.

If it's a Qb, I don't have a problem. The Eagles mortgaged their future for 3 years and wound up with Carson Wentz.  

bigbrod81 likes this

On 12/18/2017 at 10:50 AM, faceman said:

If it's a Qb, I don't have a problem. The Eagles mortgaged their future for 3 years and wound up with Carson Wentz.  

The Rams moved up for Goff as well. They had their choice of Goff or Wentz. It was a win-win for them regardless. Yet look both the Eagles & Rams. They are set at QB for at least the next 15 years. If Payton feels a QB in this draft is the future, you go get him. I'd rather be contenders year in & year out, over falling off a cliff when Brees retires.

L.A. Rams trade up to acquire No. 1 pick from Titans

In a stunning move that shakes up the top of the draft and almost ensures that the Rams will be starting a rookie quarterback in 2016, the Tennessee Titans traded the No. 1 pick in the 2016 NFL Draft to the Los Angeles Rams, both teams announced Thursday morning.

The Rams, previously selecting at No. 15, are one of the lowest-picking team in NFL history to trade up to the No. 1 spot. The move, however, did not come cheap.

It is essentially the Rams' karmic payback for fleecing the Redskins back in 2012 for a treasure trove of picks that led to the selection of Robert Griffin III. The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017).

Rams get: Titans' first-overall pick (2016), a fourth-round pick (2016) and a sixth-round pick (2016).

The acquisition has to be seen as a coup for new Titans general manager Jon Robinson. Already equipped with his quarterback of the future -- Marcus Mariota-- there were needs across the board that can now be addressed immediately. This year's draft has been viewed as one of the deepest for certain positions in half a decade, and the Titans now have the chance to fill several holes instead of one.

The Rams, on the other hand, are taking a gigantic risk. Prepping for the first season in Los Angeles, the team wanted to arrive on scene with a new face of the franchise. It is almost a guarantee that the Rams will end up with either Carson Wentz or Jared Goff. NFL Media's Albert Breer reported the Rams already have conducted on-campus workouts with both quarterbacks. They likely made the move fearing that the quarterback-needy Browns would take their preferred choice at No. 2.

"It is not often that you have the number one overall pick and we hope to not be in this position again, but we tried to use that pick as currency to work the draft and maximize player acquisition," Robinson said in a statement. "Being able to acquire six picks in the top 76 this year and additional picks next year, not only helps our depth but gives us ammunition to move in this year's draft and next. I know we now have the number 15 pick, but I would say it doesn't knock us out of any player except one. We now have the ammunition to work the draft and acquire players that are good for this football team. In terms of timing, it made sense for us to do this now as it gives us time to adjust and make sure we target more players."

This is the seventh time since 1990 that the No. 1 pick has been traded. The last? In 2004, when the Chargers dealt Eli Manningto the Giants.

This is also the most lucrative draft deal since the 2012 RGIII trade, which netted the Rams a bedrock of franchise players.

The Rams have now truly engrained themselves in Hollywood -- so it goes with an aggressive owner in a new market with a team that has not had a winning record since 2003 or a playoff appearance since 2004. The team is also participating in HBO's training camp series, Hard Knocks, this August in an effort to drum up interest and acquire new fans in Los Angeles.

The last time the Rams attempted to select a quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick, they ended up with Sam Bradford. At the time, Bradford was viewed as a can't-miss prospect and one of the cleanest quarterbacks to hit the draft since John Elway. Bradford finished his tenure in St. Louis with an 18-30-1 record, a 58.6 completion percentage, 11,065 passing yards, 59 touchdowns and 38 interceptions.

Along with Bradford, the Rams have also started Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, Kellen Clemens and A.J. Feeley in that timespan.

The deal creates plenty of questions moving forward and shatters just about every mock draft in progress. Among the most interesting storylines:

What does this mean for the Browns? There was a sense that Cleveland was also interested in one of the top two quarterback prospects. New head coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton were a heavy presence at both pro day workouts. The Browns, oddly enough, signed Robert Griffin III this offseason just in case. Also, new Brownsexecutive Sashi Brown said there was significant interest in the No. 2 pick. Did the Rams try them first? After this trade, is there any interest remaining?

» Are the Chargers, Cowboys, Jaguars and Ravens celebrating right now? If the Browns also select a quarterback atop the draft, there is a chance that some excellent positional players slip down into the top 10 in a trickledown effect that could net these teams some players of desperate need.

» Are we underestimating the Titansmoving forward? Tennessee just struck gold, but as we saw from the Rams-Redskins trade in 2012, there is still a chance to miss on a bevy of high picks. Still, Robinson gets the No. 15 overall selection in this year's draft and, at the moment, two first-round picks in next year's draft. He has three second-round picks and two thirds this year, too.

"We wanted to maximize the value of the pick for a long time, I've talked about that for a long time," Robinson said. "To be able to take that pick and use it for what we thought was the best decision for the football team and to acquire that many players and give us the ammunition to move up and down in the draft I would say it doesn't knock us out of moving back up in the first round. Obviously knocks us out of one player but only one player."

Robinson said discussions for the No. 1 pick began at the NFL Scouting Combinebut "heated up" over the last several weeks. It seems like he finally got an offer he couldn't refuse.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000652822/article/la-rams-trade-up-to-acquire-no-1-pick-from-titans

Bonckers likes this

On 12/12/2017 at 6:15 AM, herb said:

I hear you Herb but Mayfield is the real deal. His height is not a problem. He will measure out at 6'0-6'1. I've followed his games over the years closely. There isn't a throw he cannot make. He has the pocket presence of a Russell Wilson where he has eyes behind his head. He can feel pressure without seeing it. That's a rare trait. I know its blasphemous to compare any QB to Brees but if that comparison can be made, its with Mayfield. Mayfield's accuracy & ball placement sets him a part from the other QBs in this draft. Just look at his completion percentage (71%). I've seen Mayfield drop dimes on seam routes over LBs & under the safety. That's a regular feat by elite NFL QBs but college coaches often won't even attempt those types of throws. I saw Deshaun Watson making those same throws at Clemson & look how he was playing prior to getting hurt.

There is something that isn't seen by fans on the field that separates Mayfield from the rest of the pack of QBs in this class. Similar to Brees, Mayfield wasn't highly recruited in the state of Texas coming out of high school. He had to walk on at Texas Tech. He left Tech for 2 reasons. One was Pat Mahomes. The other reason was Tech wouldn't offer him a scholarship. So with no scholarship & Pat Mahomes coming in, Mayfield left of Oklahoma. He has had to work his ass to get where he is. That in itself is a character builder. My inside source (he has not been wrong yet this year) to Oklahoma says Mayfield wil not be out worked. He is a first in, last out of building guy. His teammates love him & will run throw a brick wall for their leader. I could really give a damn about the crotch grabbing incident at Kansas. Mayfield has had to fight to get where he is. He is the typical underdog so it's caused him to have an enormous chip on his shoulder. He spits fire & illuminates with an ultra competitive spirit to where he is not going to back down from anyone. All he has to do is channel that spirit better at times which he was unable to do at Kansas. Give me the guy with all the intangibles that Mayfield has & who has had to fight to get where he is over a prima donna, coddled highly touted prospect any day. Give me the dog who will hunt EVERYDAY even in crappy conditions over the one who may just want to hunt occasionally when things are going good.

Bonckers, herb, faceman and 1 other like this