Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbrod81

Marcus Lattimore vs Derek Barnett

14 posts in this topic

As many of you know my belief concerning this past NFL Draft was that Derek Barnett was a can't miss prospect at a huge position of need for the Saints. The Saints front office/scouting department believed that Marcus Lattimore was the better prospect out of the two & that Lattimore fell into their lap. While it is extremely early into their careers, (Lattimore will see his first preseason action later today, while Derek Barnett has already played in 2 season games, Barnett has flashed the same traits so far with the Eagles, as to why I felt he was a can't miss pass rushing prospect to begin with. I really hope Lattimore develops into a solid player for us but my gut tells me already that the Saints once again passed on a can't miss prospect for another they deemed had a higher grade on their draft board. If this happens to be the case......again, I will have lost all faith in the current regime's ability to properly scout & project defensive talent.

Eagles rookie Derek Barnett has been dominant so far this preseason

GettyImages-834131416-copy.jpg?w=576&h=7

• Philadelphia Eagles rookie edge defender Derek Barnett has been dominating thus far in preseason, showing glimpses of the kind of pressure he can apply on the quarterback through two preseason games.
  • Barnett has rushed the passer 42 times in his 59 snaps across two preseason games, getting home three times for sacks, but also racking up an additional two hits and four hurries. He owns the league’s second-best pass rushing productivity score so far this preseason among 4-3 defensive ends. The Eagles own the top three scores as a team.
  • Barnett broke the sack record at the University of Tennessee, a record that had belonged to a certain Reggie White, and over the past three seasons of college play racked up 188 total pressures playing in the SEC. He is going to get first team reps for the Eagles based on his preseason performances thus far.

Derek-Barnett.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-eagles-rookie-derek-barnett-has-been-dominant-so-far-this-preseason

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/20/derek-barnett-out-of-practice-with-lower-body-injury/

He is also out with an injury don't know how long, but still. Also how bad would be if Lattimore was not an option with Breaux missing the beginning of the season. I wanted him just as much as you did, but they took BPA, and I thought we all agreed he was BPA when we picked. Just my 2 cents. 

bigbrod81 likes this

1 hour ago, Bonckers said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/20/derek-barnett-out-of-practice-with-lower-body-injury/

He is also out with an injury don't know how long, but still. Also how bad would be if Lattimore was not an option with Breaux missing the beginning of the season. I wanted him just as much as you did, but they took BPA, and I thought we all agreed he was BPA when we picked. Just my 2 cents. 

Barnett's injury appears to be minor. The thing about BPA is it is opinion based. Our front office has shown for + 10 years that their opinions in terms of defensive players is dog $hit.

There is a buzz around Philadelphia thanks to the productive play from Eagles 2017 first-round pick Derek Barnett. Through two preseason games, Barnett has three sacks and plenty of QB pressures.

Barnett was not one of the Eagles players that took the field on Sunday when they returned to practice. His absence was not explained until after practice when Doug Pederson took the podium for his press conference.

Pederson said Barnett is listed as day-to-day due to a lower body injury. The coach would not divulge any further details, so the injury is something to monitor in the coming days.

http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/20/eagles-de-derek-barnett-missed-practice-due-to-lower-body-injury/

We have great teachers on the offensive side of the ball.  The opposite on the defensive side.  As an organization we've made quite a good showing of selecting players on the defensive side of the ball through trades, FAs, and draft picks.  We simply do not develop our defensive players.  

Brod prefaced his statements with 'extremely early' so I'll stick with that.  IMHO, we're desperate at the CB position.  Yeah, we've got a ton of potential and I like guys like Crawley and Harris.  But remember who we trotted out there last year and you'll recall the results.  Lattimore needs to be the equal of Can't Guard Mike's rookie season.  Then we'll all forget about the other possible selections.  As much as LSU is DBU, so is Ohio State.  I hope Lattimore comes with the same competitive nature as his brethren.  Getting seleceted that early, he should be the next Champ Bailey. 

bigbrod81 and Bonckers like this

54 minutes ago, Dru said:

We have great teachers on the offensive side of the ball.  The opposite on the defensive side.  As an organization we've made quite a good showing of selecting players on the defensive side of the ball through trades, FAs, and draft picks.  We simply do not develop our defensive players.  

Brod prefaced his statements with 'extremely early' so I'll stick with that.  IMHO, we're desperate at the CB position.  Yeah, we've got a ton of potential and I like guys like Crawley and Harris.  But remember who we trotted out there last year and you'll recall the results.  Lattimore needs to be the equal of Can't Guard Mike's rookie season.  Then we'll all forget about the other possible selections.  As much as LSU is DBU, so is Ohio State.  I hope Lattimore comes with the same competitive nature as his brethren.  Getting seleceted that early, he should be the next Champ Bailey. 

My fingers are crossed that Lattimore balls out & becomes the corner we desperately need. I cannot truly comment on Lattimore because we have yet to see him play. Instead, the focus of my post was directed at the numerous misses by our current staff when it comes to defensive prospects. I never changed my stance on Barnett. The comparison I'm hinting at will be 3-4 years down the road when we can then look back & draw a fair conclusion as to whether or not Lattimore was the right choice.

What got my attention is that I knew Barnett could be good/great yet I didn't foresee this type of man child display this early on.  I get it, it's preseason but there is one clip of Barnett shoving Seantrel Henderson back into the pocket, causing Tyrod Taylor to be flushed out. For those who don't know, Henderson is the Bills starting right tackle who has been a solid lineman since coming out of Miami in 2014.

Bonckers likes this

Muhammed looked really good tonight. Dude is strong as an ox. Cardell Jones is not a small Qb. He shoved Jones to the ground simply by extending his arms on his first sack. he got his second on the next snap. I said the following in the TC thread. I'd love to see him get some reps against first string O-linemen. Who knows?,We may have gotten our Derrick Barnett in the 6th round. 

Saint ATN likes this

Not surprised at all about Barnett, you know I wanted him also, I think he will be an immediate impactful pass rusher for the Eagles. I just pray Lattimore turns out to be as good as advertised...and he stays healthy....

bigbrod81 and faceman like this

I liked our draft at the time, but it is looking ridiculously good now.

At the mid-way point of the season, I think we scored with Lattimore falling to us.   I was a big Barnett fan, and he is doing well, but I really think Lat is special.  He has totally outplayed my wildest expectations of him.   This team is starting to come together with the CB play elevating to the point that it has with Lat and Crawley kickin' it. 

Williams and Ramczyk have all played up to their position and have maintained a starting position.  Kamara does not cease to be more and more of an ace, and may even be a ROY candidate.  Even Hendrickson is getting some snaps behind Oakafor.  Our DE rotation has been very good.  These guys know how to set an edge. 

asst    tckl    sck    tfl    ff    fr    int    yds    TD
Jordan             13    38    7.0    2.0    2    0    1    0    1
Oakafor          10    33    4.0    5.0    2    0    0    0    0
Hendrickson    5    9    2.0    0.0    1    0    0    0    0
Kikaha            1    5    3.0    0.0    0    0    0    0    0

Anzalone's injury kept us from hitting a total home run and Muhammad is still learning the position - if he stays dedicated, he may be a diamond in the rough.

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

On 8/22/2017 at 7:53 AM, sfidc2 said:

I just pray Lattimore turns out to be as good as advertised...and he stays healthy....

I know it's revisionist history,but he's turned out to be better than advertised mon frere. He is literally taking half the field away from opposing Qb's. I never thought I'd live long enough to say that about a Saints Cb. I still can't believe he fell to #11. I've watched this game close to 50 years now. You know me by now, I don't like to compare rookies to all time greats,but Lattimore is special. he may be the Cb. all others are judged by when he retires. He's that good my friend. Deion would not have made that tackle at the goal line to save a Td. against the Lions when he played. The batted pass  against Jordy Nelson is the best play I've ever seen a Cb. make. Look at the tweet from Baldinger on that play. I originally thought it was a mis communication in the secondary because both corners were on Nelson. Lattimore literally outran the football in flight. If it had been a perfect through,the Marsh would have intercepted it.  

5 hours ago, faceman said:

I know it's revisionist history,but he's turned out to be better than advertised mon frere. He is literally taking half the field away from opposing Qb's. I never thought I'd live long enough to say that about a Saints Cb. I still can't believe he fell to #11. I've watched this game close to 50 years now. You know me by now, I don't like to compare rookies to all time greats,but Lattimore is special. he may be the Cb. all others are judged by when he retires. He's that good my friend. Deion would not have made that tackle at the goal line to save a Td. against the Lions when he played. The batted pass  against Jordy Nelson is the best play I've ever seen a Cb. make. Look at the tweet from Baldinger on that play. I originally thought it was a mis communication in the secondary because both corners were on Nelson. Lattimore literally outran the football in flight. If it had been a perfect through,the Marsh would have intercepted it.  

You are spot on my friend. It is unbelievable how good Lattimore is. He has exceeded all expectations, I was all in for acquiring Butler because my thought was that  a rookie CB will take a year or 2 to be effective, I could not have been more mistaken. Lattimore has been playing not like the DROY, but the DPOY....

louder, Bonckers, Saint ATN and 2 others like this

I like many here wanted Barnette, I didn't expect Lattimore to fall, so when he did I wasn't upset. Saying that I still wanted Barnette more, even though I knew Lattimore was the smart pick. Good thing I'm not in the draft room. Lattimore has played better than I could have imagined like many have said here. If Carwley keeps up his play we could have the best CB duo by seasons end. Imagine how good they could be in a year or two and on rookie wages to boot. Man that is scary to think about for the NFC South. 

xardoz and Saint ATN like this

2 hours ago, Bonckers said:

I like many here wanted Barnette, I didn't expect Lattimore to fall, so when he did I wasn't upset. Saying that I still wanted Barnette more, even though I knew Lattimore was the smart pick. Good thing I'm not in the draft room. Lattimore has played better than I could have imagined like many have said here. If Carwley keeps up his play we could have the best CB duo by seasons end. Imagine how good they could be in a year or two and on rookie wages to boot. Man that is scary to think about for the NFC South. 

I know you are a mock draft fan like I am. Before the real draft,the lowest one I remember had Lattimore at #6 to the Jets. None had him falling to #11. The Chicago trade for Trubisky started the dominoes falling. Draft day trades are the reason no one has ever predicted a perfect first round mock. You have a better chance of predicting the March madness basketball bracket or hitting the powerball than you do making 32 correct choices in the real NFL draft. If the Trubisky trade hadn't occured,Lattimore would have went #3 overall to the Bears,or #6 to the Jets. 

Saint ATN and Bonckers like this

On 11/8/2017 at 11:16 AM, Bonckers said:

I too wanted the Saints to draft Barnett - I was a big fan.   He was my #1 DE and TJ Watt was my #1 OLB.  However, when the consensus #1 CB falls in your lap, you sprint to the podium.  I had him ranked higher than the other two and if you follow the practice of picking the best player, you stick with the game plan and pick the best player.

Bonckers and bigbrod81 like this