Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbrod81

The Top Two Safeties in this Class

12 posts in this topic

With the releasing of Jarius Byrd come March 9 & the potential trade of Cooks, safety becomes a possibility especially if we get the Titans 5th overall pick. Here's a breakdown of both Adams & Hooker. As you will see, Hooker is an Earl Thomas type ball hawking safety against the pass but just as good as he is against the pass, he takes terrible angles in run support. Adams is the complete opposite. He takes the necessary angles in run support & can play all day inside the box. Adams doesn't possess the range in his coverage as Hooker but he is good enough there & will make plays against the pass.

The Hooker video contains a breakdown on how to attack a Cover 3 look. Dan Quinn has brought that as his primary coverage to Atlanta with him from Seattle. The Patriots attacked the weakness of that coverage by throwing to the RB out of the backfield. With that being the weakness of the Falcons defense, I think it raises the chances that either Cook or Fournette could be our pick too in the event of choosing at #5.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/obi-melifonwu?id=2558189

OVERVIEW

Obi Melifonwu (pronounced OH-bee mel-un-FON-woo) has been a four-year starter at UConn. The Massachusetts area high school star redshirted his first year with the Huskies, and became the team's starting free safety in 2013 (70 tackles, three tackles for loss, two interceptions, five pass breakups, two forced fumbles). He started 11 games the next season (75 stops, 3.5 TFL, three PBU), and 12 as a junior (88 tackles, two TFL, two INT, five PBU). Melifonwu was a first-team All-American Athletic Conference selection and his team's top tackler in 2016, making 118 hits, 2.5 for loss, leading the team with four interceptions and breaking up three other passes.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Elite size with premium athletic traits that should show up at combine testing. Four-year starter. Sharp focus when ball is in the air. Takes path to the ball with undercut of the route at the last second. Plus hand-eye coordination to flip the field with interceptions. Former cornerback who has the athleticism to cover matchup tight ends and some big slots. Posted six interceptions over last two seasons. Uses big frame to body-up seam-runners and constrict their windows. Downhill tackling machine. Plus range with a wide net to bring runners down once he gets his arms into them. Body-up hitter. Drastically reduced penalties totals over junior and senior season.

WEAKNESSES

Leggy and gets feet bundled up when asked to turn and sprint. Lacks desired instincts and will play with slow eyes at times. Has to see ball in the air before charging over to help on deep throws. Inconsistent with coverage responsibilities from high safety. Takes time to diagnose play-action. Rub routes found him near goal line. Can take inefficient paths to the ball that get him there a step too late. Would benefit from high-pointing rather than waiting on throws.

SOURCES TELL US

"He's a freak. He's going to blow away the combine. He's fast and will post some of the best vertical and broad numbers at his position. He's going to get a lot better in the pros and he has that elite size that will get him overdrafted." -- AFC Pro Personnel Director

NFL COMPARISON

George Iloka

BOTTOM LINE

Big and athletic, he may lack the coverage qualities and instincts needed to work as a "last line of defense" player in a pass-happy division. Melifonwu is an effective downhill tackler who has the ability to match up against tight ends and make a living near the line of scrimmage. His football instincts aren't up to par, but the size and traits will be extremely enticing for teams who covet traits first.

UConn safety Obi Melifonwu to visit Steelers, Seahawks, Saints

Imposing Connecticut safety Obi Melifonwu is scheduled to visit the Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks and New Orleans Saints, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

Melifonwu is regarded as a rising draft prospect who is expected to go in the first round and many teams like him at cornerback because of his 6-4, 224-pound size, 4.40 speed and fluid movement at drills in the NFL scouting combine.

He played cornerback in the prestigious Senior Bowl all-star game and did well.

He met with the AFC South champion Texans at the Senior Bowl along with 14 other teams.

At the NFL scouting combine, Melifonwu had formal meetings with the Baltimore Ravens, Los Angeles Chargers, Atlanta Falcons, Seahawks, Washington Redskins, Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Rams, Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts.

He had 44-inch vertical leap. Melifonwu also registered an 11-9 broad jump and bench pressed 225 pounds 17 times.

Melifonwu's ascent as a draft prospect is reminiscent of Dallas Cowboys cornerback Byron Jones going in the first round after a strong workout circuit and playing at Connecticut.

He has a March 22 campus Pro Day workout at Connecticut that's expected to be widely attended by NFL personnel.

Melifonwu had 118 tackles last season and four interceptions. A four-year starter, Melifonwu had six interceptions over the past two seasons and cut down on his penalties.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/UConn-safety-Obi-Melifonwu-to-visit-Steelers-10996180.php?t=7563f84705438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

bigbrod81 likes this

My thoughts and far from an expert is Peppers is a tweener. Would love him in the 2nd or 3rd, but he is not great at any one thing to use a first round pick on him. He would be a great nickel LB to cover RB and TE who can still come up and make tackles. At the same time we do have two Safeties who fit that mold in Vacarro and Bell. He is a more physical version if Bell as I understand it, but more athletic than Vacarro. That is the read up I gather. Would love to get a true CB and DE before I would pick him. Saying that if he is BPA I would not be upset at all. I expect to see a big run on DE in this draft much like we saw DT last year. 

The thing that stands out at me about Peppers - and makes me say buyer beware - is that he only had a single INT during his entire career at Michigan.  Just one INT.

This from a dude that people - laughably - compare to Woodson.

Bonckers and bigbrod81 like this

On 3/12/2017 at 5:32 PM, herb said:

The thing that stands out at me about Peppers - and makes me say buyer beware - is that he only had a single INT during his entire career at Michigan.  Just one INT.

This from a dude that people - laughably - compare to Woodson.

Coach Largent once said beware of physical specimen's who don't put up big numbers in college. Imo,Peppers is a jack of all trades and master of none. His best position is               OLB,but at 213 he's going to get run over in the NFL. He also lacks speed and range to be a FS. at the next level. We already have better versions in Kenny Vaccaro and Von Bell on the roster. Would love to add a ballhawking FS like Hooker or Adams,but they'll be long gone by 11 

Bonckers and herb like this

3 hours ago, faceman said:

Coach Largent once said beware of physical specimen's who don't put up big numbers in college. Imo,Peppers is a jack of all trades and master of none. His best position is               OLB,but at 213 he's going to get run over in the NFL. He also lacks speed and range to be a FS. at the next level. We already have better versions in Kenny Vaccaro and Von Bell on the roster. Would love to add a ballhawking FS like Hooker or Adams,but they'll be long gone by 11 

Peppers only hope at success is to be used in a Cam Chancellor, strong safety type role where he plays predominantly in the box.

Everytime we have a discussion about the prototype safety, we talk about names like Ed Reed, Troy Polamolu, Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu, John Lynch, Cam Chancellor, etc but the man was Sean Taylor. Taylor was built in a lab to specifically play safety. He had it all. Instincts, courage, size, speed range. He was a ball hawk playing back in coverage or he could come in run support & smash a running back. We may never see a safety again with all those measurables together. Taylor was taken far too soon.

Bonckers likes this

Remember when Chris Jackson was going to light up the NBA?  That is what I think about when I think about Peppers.

I just hope a team in our division (other than us) gets enamored with him.

Bonckers likes this

15 hours ago, bigbrod81 said:

Peppers only hope at success is to be used in a Cam Chancellor, strong safety type role where he plays predominantly in the box.

Everytime we have a discussion about the prototype safety, we talk about names like Ed Reed, Troy Polamolu, Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu, John Lynch, Cam Chancellor, etc but the man was Sean Taylor. Taylor was built in a lab to specifically play safety. He had it all. Instincts, courage, size, speed range. He was a ball hawk playing back in coverage or he could come in run support & smash a running back. We may never see a safety again with all those measurables together. Taylor was taken far too soon.

Very spot on analysis Face, Brod, and Herb. Herb I could see Tampa taking him as they are light on depth at Safety.  The only thing I would add is this all the safeties on that list played in   time when targeting was not a concern. in today's NFL I am not 100% Taylor or any of them would be on the field much or be as successful having to change how they played. 

Edited by Bonckers

Mike Mayock has now moved Peppers to the #1 safety prospect on his board.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132797/jabrill-peppers

I value Mayocks opinion highly,but have to disagree with him here. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jabrill-peppers?id=2557980

Here is an opinion from an AFC team's director of scouting

WEAKNESSES

Scouts question his instincts and lack of ball production. Has just one interception and 10 passes defensed at Michigan. Slow to recognize construct of play and can be found playing through a straw at times. Needs better recognition and anticipation to become an improvising play-maker. 

SOURCES TELL US

"These comparisons to Charles Woodson are nuts. Both are really good return men, but Woody is one of the greatest playmakers of all-time. Peppers has one interception and I don't think he's ever forced a fumble. Michigan might move him around too much. He will really improve when he can lock in and learn a position." -- AFC Director of Scouting
herb likes this

In my book, it goes like this:

1. Jamal Adams

2. Malik Hooker (only because of physical issues)

3. Obi Melifonwu

If either of the top 2 are there at 11, we need to run up to the podium.

faceman likes this