Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Baby Cakes

24 posts in this topic

What's up with these stupid names? I think the name Pelicans sucks for a NBA team, but this one takes the cake....errr takes the baby cakes. 

Ugh, man, what the hell was wrong with the Z's?  I swear these marketing firms get a hold of people and just ram it down their throats that they need to re-brand.  

I know the reference is outdated, but the Zephyr name has a NOLA connection with the old roller coaster ride of the same name at Pontchartrain Beach.  Not to mention they've been the Zephyrs for more than 20 years here in New Orleans since they moved and played at UNO for a bit before the new field was constructed.

How is changing to this name Baby Cakes going to drum up more interest and spectators long term?  Just horrible.

No words.

Well, actually a lot of words...but none suitable for a family forum.

You guys know I'm a baseball guy. That was my sport. I've been a fan of the game all of my life. Growing up in NOLA I only had the Pelicans in the Dome in the 70s as a "home team" so I went all-in with the Zephyrs when they moved here in 1993. Have been to a countless number of games at UNO and Zephyr Field over the last 24 seasons. I've raised my sons on Zephyrs baseball.

And THIS  is how the new owners treat us?

Unreal.

I feel betrayed. 

This feels very similar to how I felt in 1979 when the Jazz moved to Utah. 

Fark the carpet bagging clowns that run this team!

likes this

14 hours ago, Saint ATN said:

That's just awful, seriously, someone should be fired for allowing this. 

Allowing it?  Hell, the morons that run the team are absolutely giddy about this.  They have no freaking clue.

On their facebook page, they made the following statement:

"In the process of making our name change, we took a look at all the iconic traditions that make New Orleans one of the greatest cities in the world."

How the F!! can they say that and then select Baby Cakes?  How???

35 minutes ago, Saint ATN said:

and this adds another reason I don't give a flying fig regarding this sport. Hurl...

Man.  I've loved baseball my entire life. Was the sport I excelled at. Was the sport my dad played and taught me to love.

But I  can't argue with you one bit on this. Absolutely stupid, greed-driven move. They don't give a stinking crap about the City or its fans. 

My dad must be spinning in his grave.

likes this

37 minutes ago, billyc said:

At the end of the day...it's only a name.

True. Also true that it's minor league baseball where the thing right now is to try to outdo the most outrageous names.

But the name still sucks...and we fans are the ones stuck with it.

Bonckers likes this

11 minutes ago, Slidell Saint said:

True. Also true that it's minor league baseball where the thing right now is to try to outdo the most outrageous names.

I don't follow minor league baseball whatsoever. The name sucks...which is why I started this thread. In the short term, the name change will draw a lot of attention, but I think it will be terrible in the long run. 

Personally, I was more upset when our basketball team was named the Pelicans. Nothing against Pelicans but not exactly an inspiring bird. 

1 hour ago, Slidell Saint said:

Yep, but that's usually the case in AA ball. The Toledo Mud hens are probably the most famous. We have the Biloxi Shuckers locally. The name is obviously derived from cleaning an Oyster and putting it on a half shell. I have no problem with that. I'm upset because I don't know what the hell a baby cake is? Is it a King cake? If not, I've never eaten one or heard of one for that matter. I agree with Billy, it sounds like the name of a gay male strip club. 

Bonckers and like this

Now that I'm aware that unusual names are the norm....it doesn't seem so bad. Other than, like faceman, I have no idea what a baby cake is. 

Edited by billyc

17 hours ago, billyc said:

I'm aware that unusual names are the norm....it doesn't seem so bad.

actually it is. King Cakes would have been a much much much much better choice

Bonckers likes this

27 minutes ago, faceman said:

actually it is. King Cakes would have been a much much much much better choice

Crab Cakes? Brutus Beef Cakes? LOL