Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbrod81

OLB/DE Class of 2017

62 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2017 at 3:48 PM, Bonckers said:

I don't think you are the minority. Honestly if Barnett, Myles, Thomas, and Allen are gone which is a good possibility I think they should look elsewhere other than DE. My concern is what if Cooks and or Fournette are there. As much as I like them both I would prefer we go defense as much as possible in this draft. I realize not every pick may be defense, but I really want two defensive players taken in the first round if we hold onto both picks. Which I would prefer unless we get a team who offers us a good deal to drop back. 

If this is the case, maybe Jamal Adams would fall to #11?

It seems Safety's, RB's and LB's almost always fall come draft day.  But this is an interesting class coming out.

Bonckers likes this

The real question I have is how many QB's go in the top 10, and if there are any trades to make it happen. That is really the deciding factor.

I think as many as 2-3 could go in the top 10, as there seems to be a premium on them in recent years. Watson, Trubisky and Mahones....not saying it is going to happen but it is possible....

Bonckers likes this

On 3/11/2017 at 3:36 PM, herb said:

Now that we have the Pat's 1st rounder courtesy of the Cooks trade, it does give us the option of addressing DE at the end of round 1 rather than at 11.  One of the guys that has all of the tools (but perhaps should have been hungrier on the field while in college) is Taco Charlton.

He did start to really turn things on during his senior season, though, so maybe he is maturing at the right time.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/taco-charlton?id=2557882

This guy is an intriguing prospect.

Charlton is an ascending prospect with the size, length, athleticism and pass-rushing potential that NFL general managers dream of. What you see today might not be what you get. While his production coming out of college will be modest, he could become a substantially better player as a pro if he's committed to the weight room and willing to absorb coaching. High-impact defensive end with all-pro potential is his ceiling. His floor is solid starter.

Charlton scares me. He came on the final half of his Sr. season,but before that no one other than a Michigan fan knew who he was. Barnett is a football player and has 3 years of film. He wasn't surrounded by great players like Alabama. He was targeted every snap and still got to the Qb. His first step and the ability to bend around the OT is a God given talent that can't be taught.

I am not a fan of this guys narration,but he does a good job of breaking down Charlton and Barnett

Edited by faceman
Bonckers likes this

I agree Face, but at least we are getting our D line coach to workout what looks like all first round graded edge rushers. So we are going to get who he feels he can work with. But I am a little worried as well about him. I just get a feeling we are going to draft him over Barnette is Barnette and him are both there. 

I've thought about this a while and I'll admit that Barnett doesn't bring us DeMarcus Ware type talent.  Yet, there's a solid, workmanlike upside when you line up Cam Jordan, Sheldon Rankins, Nick Fairley and Derrick Barnett.  That'd be four 1st round picks as your starting DLine and a new DLine Coach to push 'em.  Maybe McKinley is our guy.  He should be there at 11 and has the better ceiling.

I like McKinley, but his injury takes him out of the number 11 equation to me. If he was 100% healthy and ready to start day one I would say their is an argument to looking at him. I think late first is a better spot for a player who won't be ready till training camp or pre season. 

Here are the Saints DE/OLB options they took in the draft.

Here is a little description from ESPN and SI on our OLB/DE picks.

Alex Anzalone, LB, Florida: Anzalone is an ultra-athletic linebacker who just could not stay healthy at Florida. If he does, he easily could be the best playmaker in the Saints’ linebacking corps—and that’s as of 2017, not beyond. It’s a risk, but also addresses a need for New Orleans as it tries hard to fix its defense. GRADE: B

Round 3, Pick 39 (No. 103) (Compensatory pick from New England through Cleveland)

From ESPN:

My take: Another pick that’s hard to get too excited about since Anzalone isn’t an edge rusher (at least not primarily) -- and since he is a bit of a mystery after being limited to 31 games in four seasons because of injuries. But Anzalone was projected to go around this stage of the draft. And he does have some pluses that show his potential.

The 6-foot-3, 241-pounder has some great athletic traits. He ran the third-fastest 40-yard dash of any linebacker at the NFL scouting combine (4.63 seconds). And he was playing very well last season until he suffered a broken forearm during Florida's eighth game. Anzalone had 53 tackles and three sacks in those eight games and led the Gators with tackles in three of them.

Anzalone also battled multiple shoulder injuries during his first three seasons but was healthy enough to play in the Senior Bowl and go through the pre-draft process.

How he fits: Great question. The Saints could obviously use help throughout their defense, but they have really loaded up at linebacker this offseason, signing veterans A.J. Klein and Manti Te'o in free agency to join incumbents such as Craig Robertson, Dannell Ellerbe, Stephone Anthony and Nathan Stupar. Anzalone will likely play outside linebacker in the Saints’ 4-3 base package, at either Sam or Will. He said he primarily played on the weak side at Florida but moved around.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Trey Hendrickson, DE, Florida Atlantic University: The Saints entered the draft needing a DE to line up opposite Cameron Jordan, and they might have found an under-the-radar answer in Hendrickson. He’s not a clear-cut, overnight starter in the NFL—a lot of what he does comes from pure effort, as opposed to elite skills—but he’s at least a rotational defender. GRADE: B+ 

From ESPN:

My take: This is obviously the Saints’ best pick of the draft so far, since they finally took an edge rusher!

That’s mostly sarcasm, since it’s hard to expect the 103rd pick in the draft to come in right away and play a significant role. But the need and opportunity are absolutely there, since edge rusher has ranked as New Orleans’ most glaring need all offseason.

Hendrickson (6-4, 266) will compete with veterans Alex Okafor, Darryl Tapp, Hau'oli Kikaha and Obum Gwacham, among others, for a role on the weak side of the line across from Cameron Jordan.

It’s disappointing that New Orleans wasn’t able to land a top edge rusher in free agency or earlier in the draft because Payton described the position as a “must” heading into this offseason. But Okafor has some nice upside after injuries scuttled his first four years with the Arizona Cardinals. And Hendrickson appears to have some enticing potential as well.

Disruptive player: Hendrickson racked up 23 sacks over the past two years and 29.5 over his career. He was named the Conference USA defensive player of the year in 2016. And as an added bonus, he had four blocked kicks last year, which tied for first among all FBS players. Special teams is an obvious route to the roster for him.

One more bonus: ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay listed Hendrickson on his “all-tape” team of “players I love watching the most.” McShay said Hendrickson shows a mean streak on the field.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Round 6, Pick 12 (No. 196) Al-Quadin Muhammad, LB, Miami

From ESPN:

My take: The Saints took a bit of a gamble on a character risk with their final pick, since Muhammad was dismissed from Miami (Fla.) because of off-field issues. He was suspended for the 2014 season after allegedly punching another student. Then he was dismissed two years later as the NCAA investigated him for receiving illicit benefits from a luxury-car rental company. But if you’re going to take that kind of risk, this is the stage of the draft to do it. Ideally, the Saints will get someone who has been humbled and is determined to resurrect a career that once had a ton of promise as a top high school recruit. If not, they didn’t sacrifice much.

How he fits: Muhammad is yet another pass-rushing option for a team that badly needs some to emerge. The biggest disappointment of New Orleans’ offseason is that it wasn’t able to land a top pass-rusher in free agency or the early rounds of the draft. But the Saints have added a handful of guys with potential at discounted rates, including veteran Alex Okafor and third-round defensive end Trey Hendrickson and Muhammad. They’ll compete with incumbents Darryl Tapp, Hau'oli Kikaha and Obum Gwacham to provide some much-needed help across from strong-side defensive end Cameron Jordan.

some more

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2017/5/2/15491858/2017-new-orleans-saints-draft-recap-grades-marshon-lattimore-ryan-ramczyk-alvin-kamara

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/05/grading_the_new_orleans_saints_143.html

Bonckers likes this

20 hours ago, xardoz said:

The biggest disappointment of New Orleans’ offseason is that it wasn’t able to land a top pass-rusher in free agency or the early rounds of the draft.

I think this sentiment is overplayed.

Overall, the Saints have significantly improved the personnel responsible for edge rushing during free agency and the draft. Sports writers (and some fans) fall into the trap of looking for a single savior.  A single savior is potentially a single point of failure. One injury and that savior is out of action leaving you right back where you started.

The one thing I think analysts and fans forget is how last year's loss of Rankins (a classic single point of failure) affected the entire defensive line. There was simply not enough time to see the difference Rankins would make, so there was a built in judgement of poor DL play (justifiable).

This year Rankins will be back along with a group of fresh faces peppering the DE and OLB positions. If Anzalone, Hendrickson, and Muhammad all stick on the final roster, The Saints are probably better off than having acquired a single, elite pass rusher and leaving one or more of those draft picks to be used for a WR, TE, or another QB.

Bonckers, Dru, faceman and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, herb said:

I think this sentiment is overplayed.

Overall, the Saints have significantly improved the personnel responsible for edge rushing during free agency and the draft. Sports writers (and some fans) fall into the trap of looking for a single savior.  A single savior is potentially a single point of failure. One injury and that savior is out of action leaving you right back where you started.

The one thing I think analysts and fans forget is how last year's loss of Rankins (a classic single point of failure) affected the entire defensive line. There was simply not enough time to see the difference Rankins would make, so there was a built in judgement of poor DL play (justifiable).

This year Rankins will be back along with a group of fresh faces peppering the DE and OLB positions. If Anzalone, Hendrickson, and Muhammad all stick on the final roster, The Saints are probably better off than having acquired a single, elite pass rusher and leaving one or more of those draft picks to be used for a WR, TE, or another QB.

This is a great point Herb. Great teams draft BPA for this very reason (depth), the Patriots seem to always be able to replace anyone not named Brady with a high quality player. If Rankins were to go down again or Fairley or Cam Jordan we need to have quality depth behind them. I think we are starting to build that now...

Dru and Bonckers like this

That is a great point Herb, and I was thinking this morning about the same thing. I can't remember if it was an interview or in his book, but Payton talked about one of the big differences between 2008 and 2009 was that in the off season leading up to the 2009 season Payton and Loomis focused on the depth of the team. They felt the biggest weakness was not one player, but quality depth to cover injuries they sustained in 2008. If you all remember we started a guy at LT that year due to injuries and won a suepr Bowl with a first year starter who we all feared in Jermon Bushrod. He was a 3rd year player we selected in the 4th round. He wasn't even our Jumbo package player Strief was. Yest he replaced a pro bowl LT in Jamal Brown and helped us win a Lombardi. I just looked it up, Brown was not IR'ed till week 3, but missed the first 3 weeks with the same injury. If you add him to the list we had 8 players on IR for a full season. We had 3 more added or already on by week 9. Than we lost Charles Grant with 3 games left in the regular season. This off season wasn't splashy, but adding depth to the entire defense and team is important and can make a monumental difference. I am in no way saying we are going to win a Lombardi this year, or that players added that year made no difference (Darren Sharper). But you have to admit depth played a major role with losing a LT, and several other players to injury in 2009.

Eidt: link below. 

Sorry Link to IR page: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nor/2009_injuries.htm

Edited by Bonckers