Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbrod81

RB Class of 2017

61 posts in this topic

As much as Carolina would want him, they would need to fill a lot of holes prior to the draft to be able to take him. Their O line is atrocious, and they cannot allow Scam to keep getting beat up. So running a read option with him as scary as that would be would be a death sentence for that team. 

bigbrod81 likes this

18 minutes ago, Bonckers said:

As much as Carolina would want him, they would need to fill a lot of holes prior to the draft to be able to take him. Their O line is atrocious, and they cannot allow Scam to keep getting beat up. So running a read option with him as scary as that would be would be a death sentence for that team. 

I find it amazing that all these draft analyst fail to realize just how terrible the Panthers tackle situation is. Also think about this. Thomas Davis is in the last year of his contract & is near the end of his career. Luke Kuechly is one concussion away from retirement. The LB position has been a strength for them for awhile now but just like that, it could possibly become a major hole. I always thought Cam Robinson could be a serious target for them at tackle. With their LB situation, Reuben Foster was becoming a possibility as well but who knows how much he has effected his chances of being a top 10 pick after what happened Thursday.

31 minutes ago, bigbrod81 said:

I find it amazing that all these draft analyst fail to realize just how terrible the Panthers tackle situation is. Also think about this. Thomas Davis is in the last year of his contract & is near the end of his career. Luke Kuechly is one concussion away from retirement. The LB position has been a strength for them for awhile now but just like that, it could possibly become a major hole. I always thought Cam Robinson could be a serious target for them at tackle. With their LB situation, Reuben Foster was becoming a possibility as well but who knows how much he has effected his chances of being a top 10 pick after what happened Thursday.

I agree 100% not only their tackle position, but they are hurting all over the line. They have a guard unless they have resigned who is set to become a free agent. They need a lot of help on the line, and a RB does not help it any. They will more than likely be losing their back up to Kuechly, in free agency and like you said are getting old in the tooth at LB outside of him real quick. Sure they have Shaq Thompson, but who else after Davis is gone and Klein leaves in free agency. Not to mention their secondary is a hot mess this team fell apart real quick after their super bowl run, and they are a bunch of pieces away from making another run. Not only on defense, but on offense. 

bigbrod81 likes this

Saw this and looked him up. Dude caught a bunch of passes the video below is 23 minutes worth of him catching passes. Granted it shows both coach tape angles, but still. 

#Saints, Jets, Ravens, Lions, Falcons among teams to show interest in Central Michigan FB Joe Bacci, per source. Bacci is a converted LB.

BTW some of the video is his blitz pickups too which looked pretty good. Even saw designed plays were he takes on designated egde rusher. Not very common for a FB to do that. 

Edited by Bonckers

Bacci catches well, and is an eager blocker, but he has no idea how to use a straight-arm or how to run through a tackle.  Not a good sign for a big-dude like that.  Guys half his size were bringing him down.

(Sorry if I sounded like a negative-nancy)  

Edited by xardoz
Bonckers likes this

I may be in the minority, but I agree with this article. If we trade back, to say mid 20's and he is still there and no pass rusher or DB fits the pick than you take him, but not at all 11 in my humble opinion. Or if he is there at 32 you run to the podium. 

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2017/04/if_leonard_fournette_is_availa.html

If Leonard Fournette is available at No. 11, the New Orleans Saints should just say no

Leonard Fournette, LSU Pro Day 2017
LSU Tigers running back Leonard Fournette (7) addresses the media during LSU Pro Day at the indoor football facility on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge on Wednesday. ((Photo by David Grunfeld, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune))
Jeff Duncan, NOLA.com | The Times-PicayuneBy Jeff Duncan, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on April 05, 2017 at 3:48 PM, updated April 05, 2017 at 4:49 PM

Leonard Fournette solidified his status as a Top 10 NFL Draft pick on Wednesday by weighing a svelte 228 pounds at the LSU Pro Day.

After brandishing his bikini body and pass-catching skills for scouts from all 32 NFL teams, the former St. Augustine High School star is poised to become the highest drafted LSU running back in the league's modern era.

Leonard Fournette shows 'wow factor' in agility, pass-catching drills at LSU Pro Day

Leonard Fournette shows 'wow factor' in agility, pass-catching drills at LSU Pro Day

'He looked tremendous in the drills,' Ed Orgeron says.

It'll be a surprise if Fournette doesn't hear his name called among the first 10 picks of the first round on April 27. Some analysts project him to go as high as No. 4 to Jacksonville.

But crazy things happen on draft day. They seemingly occur every year. An unforeseen trade or out-of-left-field selection disrupts the top of the first round and Fournette could suddenly find himself plummeting Laremy Tunsil-like out of the top 10.

Leonard Fournette, LSU Pro Day 2017LSU Tigers running back Leonard Fournette (7) during LSU Pro Day at the indoor football facility on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge Wednesday April 5, 2017. (Photo by David Grunfeld, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)David Grunfeld, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune 

What happens if the unthinkable happens and Fournette is available when the New Orleans Saints are on the clock at No. 11?

The biggest LSU star in decades, a sure-fire top 10 talent and the wildly popular hometown hero ... is theirs for the taking.

What do the Saints do?

ADVERTISING

I asked Saints general manager Mickey Loomis about just such a scenario, and he predictably danced around the question like a 610 Stomper.

"We think a lot of Leonard Fournette," Loomis said. "He's a great player, a great running back, certainly worthy of anyone's first-round pick. But I can't answer what we're going to do at pick (No.) 11."

Loomis obviously wasn't going to tip his hand one way or the other, and I wouldn't expect him to three weeks before the draft. So I'll answer for him: If the Saints know what they are doing, they'll forego Fournette.

If he's on the board when the Saints are on the clock, the Saints would be wise to take calls from potential trade suitors and try to capitalize on their stroke of good draft fortune and move down in the first round.

But by all means, they should not even think about selecting the former LSU star.

And this is coming from someone who believes Fournette will become a Pro Bowler and franchise back in the NFL for years to come.

This is not about talent. Fournette has the potential to be the best Saints running back of all-time. In 2013, a major college coach told me Fournette was better than any back on the Saints roster -- and that was when he was still in high school.

Off the field, Fournette would be a home-run selection. He'd sell tickets and become the future face of the franchise after Drew Brees moves on, which, with the way things are going, might be 2030.

But on it, he's a terrible fit.

Fournette is a throwback back. He's at his best when you give him 25 carries a game and let him pound the opponent into submission. He needs a fullback and a power rushing attack to take advantage of his rare skill set.

None of those things are the Saints.

As long as Drew Brees is calling the signals and Sean Payton is calling the plays, the Saints will always be a pass-first offense. Investing a first-round pick on a running back makes little sense. It makes it even less when you have a quality back like Mark Ingram on the roster and a defense in need of talent. 

Taking Fournette would be a waste of time and resources and potentially a waste of his career.

I know what you're thinking: It worked in 2001. 

The Saints didn't need a running back in 2001 when Deuce McAllister slipped from the top of the first round to No. 23 but the Ole Miss star was too good to pass up. The Saints had him graded as a top 10 overall pick and felt he was too good to bypass even though they already had Ricky Williams on the roster. The Saints were able to procure two first-round draft picks the following year by dealing Williams to Miami, and McAllister went on to become a Pro Bowler and the leading rusher in Saints history. 

But this isn't 2001. The Saints under offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy were a totally different offense back then, and the NFL was a completely different league than it is today.

Running backs are becoming less important by the day in the NFL. Their value has diminished drastically in the past decade as passing attacks become more sophisticated and efficient. Running backs have become so devalued that former NFL MVP Adrian Peterson has had to almost beg his way around the NFL to try to land a job.

Drafting a power back like Fournette makes no sense whatsoever, even if it would excite the masses across the state.

The Saints have not drafted a New Orleans native since 2003 when they selected former McDonogh 35 High School standout Talman Gardner in the seventh round.

They haven't drafted a former LSU player since taking Al Woods in 2010.

With Fournette, Malachi Dupre and Duke Riley available this year, there's a chance those streaks could end this year. 

But Fournette is the least likely of the trio. In fact, it would be a mistake.

If No. 7 is on the clock at No. 11 the Saints need to just say no -- for his sake and theirs.

I have mixed feelings on Fournette.

He IS NOT Bo Jackson, or Earl Campbell - however, he is a VERY good RB.  I just do not think he could get the touches he needs in Payton's system in NOLA. 

I am not a Dalvin Cook or Joe Mixon fan, though both are talented.  (I may cave in to the Joe Mixon crowd based strictly on talent)

Here is how I see the Saints lovin'-up on some of these RB's  (totally my unwashed, and biased, opinion)

1. Christian McCaffrey

2. Alvin Kamara

3. Jeremy Nichols

4. James Conner

5. TJ Logan/Matt Dayes

6. Jahad Thomas

Bonckers likes this

33 minutes ago, Bonckers said:
The Saints have not drafted a New Orleans native since 2003 when they selected former McDonogh 35 High School standout Talman Gardner in the seventh round.

They haven't drafted a former LSU player since taking Al Woods in 2010.

How about an all-LSU Draft?

1. Jamal Adams                  FS            6-0, 214          LSU

1b. Tre’Davious White            CB          5-11, 192          LSU

2. Duke Riley                           LB          6-1, 232           LSU

3. Ethan Pocic                          C            6-5, 310          LSU

3b. Malachi Dupree                WR         6-2, 190          LSU

6. Kendell Beckwith              LB             6-2, 245        LSU

7. Davon Godchaux              DT             6-4, 310         LSU