Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbrod81

RB Class of 2017

61 posts in this topic

For 3 years now I've been on my soapbox preaching just how great & deep this class of backs would be. Nothing has changed at all. This will be the draft of the running back. Many are underclassmen so it's not guaranteed each will enter the draft but in reality they should all enter being running backs have a certain amount carries & hits before they begin to breakdown. Fournette is obviously the jewel of this potential class but Dalvin Cook, Nick Chubb, Christian McCaffrey & James Connor are no slouches either. Like Dru said in a previous thread the backs previously mentioned are the cream of the crop after these it's a crap shoot of the order they will go.

1. Leonard Fournette

2. Dalvin Cook

3. Nick Chubb

4. Christian McCaffrey 

5. James Connor

6. Joe Mixon & Samaje Perine

7. Royce Freeman

8. Elijah Hood

9. Jalen Hurd

10. Donnell Pumphrey (scat back)

Saint ATN likes this

As a FSU fan I would not argue one bit about Fournette being the top back I love Cook, but he does not have the size Fournette does. Saying that I have seen Cook lower his shoulder quit a bit, he is not afraid to get hit. Also he has played the last 2 years through a hamstring injury, so the dude is tough. That is why he has not had many long runs. His top gear has been missing the last two years. If he can get 100% healthy he could be CJ2K fast in the NFL. The one video I just watched as at work too busy to watch them all was Hurd. My fear is he will not translate in the NFL looks like a very good college back. However he seems to run up to high, and not big enough or fast enough to translate and play int he NFL the way he does in college. At least by that highlight reel. 

bigbrod81 likes this

1 hour ago, Bonckers said:

The one video I just watched as at work too busy to watch them all was Hurd. My fear is he will not translate in the NFL looks like a very good college back. However he seems to run up to high, and not big enough or fast enough to translate and play int he NFL the way he does in college. At least by that highlight reel. 

I agree. Hurd is 6'4 & he doesn't run behind his pads when making contact with a defender. He also seems to be a head case. There had been rumors of issues between Hurd & the Vols staff. It has now come out today he is transferring.

I think the best fit for what the Saints do offensively is Georgia's Nick Chubb. When I watch Chubb, I see a stronger, faster version of Pierre Thomas. He's great in the screen game, solid in pass pro & runs with a really low pad level. He doesn't have Fournette's size either but pound for pound he is probably the strongest weight room wise of this group. His power also shows up on the field with his ability to break tackles. 

No rest for the hungry: Georgia RB Chubb out to prove a point

13805389.jpg?itok=YAw8uWdy

Guess what Nick Chubb did on Sunday, less than 24 hours after carrying the ball 38 times at Missouri.

The freshman from Cedartown didn’t sleep late. Instead he lifted weights, ran sprints and did yoga.

“When he was done he felt good,” Georgia coach Mark Richt said.

There’s no rest for the hungry. And with suspended star Todd Gurley’s status still in question, Chubb doesn’t appear satisfied with the 143 yards and the touchdown he scored in his first career start in the 34-0 win over the Tigers.

That Chubb had the most carries by a Bulldogs freshman since Herschel Walker had 43 in 1980 didn’t surprise 247 Sports recruiting analyst Rusty Mansell.

“I saw him work out in the winter of his sophomore year, and I knew right then he had a real good chance,” Mansell said.

Everybody that’s seen Chubb work out wasn’t surprised, either. As a high school senior, Chubb set state records for bench press (365), power clean (390) and squat (700).

“I tweeted out those numbers and (Bulldogs linebacker) Jordan Jenkins’ dad called me and said, ‘there’s no way in hell that kid is doing that,’ “ Mansell said.

The 5-foot-10, 228-pound bruiser’s work ethic is still on display, as everyone talked this week about his weight room habits.

“You hear stories about this kid showing up and doing squats and box jumps the day before a game,” offensive coordinator Mike Bobo. “That’s how he trains.”

Bobo recalled Auburn’s Cadillac Williams rushing 41 times in Sanford Stadium in 2001, a game the Bulldogs lost after failing to punch it in from the goal line in the final seconds of the game.

Before the Missouri trip Bobo told Chubb to be ready for a number of carries similar to Cadillac.

“They told me I might get 45,” Chubb said. “I thought they were joking, but I was ready.”

It wasn’t just the total of carries that was impressive. It was what Chubb did with them that counted most. Chubb was hit at or behind the line of scrimmage on 22 of his carries.

“He can turn three yards into seven,” Mansell said.

“He just fights for those extra yards,” said offensive lineman Greg Pyke. “It does fire us offensive linemen up when it takes four and five guys to tackle somebody. Knowing that a guy is willing to fight for those extra yards fires us up because it all adds up.”

Chubb grew up about 15 miles from Mansell, who says there’s nobody in Cedartown that’s ever said a bad word about Chubb. Chubb led Cedartown to nine wins last season, the most the school had in a single season since 1999. Chubb became a focal point in the community - enhanced status that he didn’t squander. “Without a doubt one of the best kids I’ve ever covered,” Mansell said of Chubb. “It’s hard to be a great football player and top recruit and not make an enemy somewhere along the way. Nobody has ever said a bad word about Nick to me.”

Like his workout habits, Chubb’s good-person reputation has carried on to Georgia.

Even a Georgia legend like Garrison Hearst, who pointed out he never had 38 carries in a game as a Bulldog, has been won over.

“Very happy. Very happy for him,” Hearst said. “After seeing him play sparingly behind Todd, you can see the ability, and I didn’t expect that type of game. But you know what? How can you be mad about it?”

http://onlineathens.com/sports/college-sports/2014-10-17/no-rest-hungry-georgia-rb-chubb-out-prove-point#

Fournette, Cook, Chubb & McCaffery are cream of the crop but I like the other guys too especially James Connor. The kid runs to contact. He gets those hard yards. I love his mental toughness.

P.S. I will do one with the top passers of this class too. This will be a really top heavy class of pass rushers too.

likes this

1 hour ago, billyc said:

One more observation on Chubb. Looking at this body type, I would be willing to bet that he has less injuries over his career than Fournette. I know injuries are difficult to predict, but those compact body types seem to hold up better over the long haul than the taller RB's. 

I would be wary about Chubb. he suffered a severe knee injury last year that sidelined him for the rest of the season. He didn't tear his ACL,but the damage to cartilage and ligaments were significant. Cartilage heals very slowly and damage can lead to early onset arthritis. That's the reason Dick Butkus had to retire. He played 9 seasons,but was never really the same player after 5. 

11 hours ago, faceman said:

I would be wary about Chubb. he suffered a severe knee injury last year that sidelined him for the rest of the season. He didn't tear his ACL,but the damage to cartilage and ligaments were significant. Cartilage heals very slowly and damage can lead to early onset arthritis. That's the reason Dick Butkus had to retire. He played 9 seasons,but was never really the same player after 5. 

I think Chubb is fine despite his down numbers this season. UGA's offensive line is awful. Both Chubb & Sony Michel who is no slouch either, are constantly getting hit in the backfield almost immediately. Mark Richt left the Bulldogs in pretty bad shape offensive line wise. With modern sports medicine & Chubbs work ethic, I wouldn't have any concerns about his knee. He had 200+ yards in his first game back this season against UNC in the opener. After that though, UGA's O-Line went down the drain. Hell they almost lost to Nicholls St at home early on. They would still be celebrating in Thibodaux had the Colonels won that game.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgias-running-game-hits-a-new-low-leaving-chubb-and-michel-at-a-loss

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/nick-chubbs-health-isnt-the-problem-says-kirby-smart

After reading that, I see why Butch Jones can't get it going at Tennessee despite the great success he has had recruiting. He isn't a leader of men. The Vols brass would be better suited to cut bait immediately after the season & hire a better coach. That program is set up to win now with a coach who can run a program better than Jones can.

19 minutes ago, bigbrod81 said:

After reading that, I see why Butch Jones can't get it going at Tennessee despite the great success he has had recruiting. He isn't a leader of men. The Vols brass would be better suited to cut bait immediately after the season & hire a better coach. That program is set up to win now with a coach who can run a program better than Jones can.

After so many years of futility, Jones winning 9 games last season made me think he was safe.  Then I had the idea, wonder if they'd consider going after Miles?  He knows the SEC like the back of his hand and he'd be in the MUCH EASIER East.

This was supposed to be "his year".  The year Tenn. finally asserts itself as a dominant program again.  Now it looks as though the wheels may be falling off.

http://gridironnow.com/butch-jones-attempts-soothe-opposite-effect/

bigbrod81 likes this

40 minutes ago, Dru said:

After so many years of futility, Jones winning 9 games last season made me think he was safe.  Then I had the idea, wonder if they'd consider going after Miles?  He knows the SEC like the back of his hand and he'd be in the MUCH EASIER East.

This was supposed to be "his year".  The year Tenn. finally asserts itself as a dominant program again.  Now it looks as though the wheels may be falling off.

http://gridironnow.com/butch-jones-attempts-soothe-opposite-effect/

Interesting point Dru. I will leave this article here as well. If Miles does indeed change his stubborn philosophy, he could kill it at Tennessee. Miles going to Tennessee & making them a contender benefits LSU being that Alabama is the permanent opponent of Tennessee from the West division.

http://fansided.com/2016/11/03/report-les-miles-building-coaching-staff-2017/

Just now, bigbrod81 said:

I just read that article in full. What a loser mentality by Jones. Vol Nation deserves better. I bet that statement will be the nail in the coffin for Ole Butch along with the embarrassing losses on his resume.

Zactly.  It's been a long time since Tenn had the kind of optimism they did after last season, but man.  It'd be crazy to think of Tennessee with Fulmer and Chavis, then Chavis at LSU with Miles, then Tenn with Miles and???  If A&M slides and everyone gets canned, Chavis reunites with the Tennessee faithful and Miles!!

Ok, now I'm just F!!ing around.   =P

2 minutes ago, Dru said:

Zactly.  It's been a long time since Tenn had the kind of optimism they did after last season, but man.  It'd be crazy to think of Tennessee with Fulmer and Chavis, then Chavis at LSU with Miles, then Tenn with Miles and???  If A&M slides and everyone gets canned, Chavis reunites with the Tennessee faithful and Miles!!

Ok, now I'm just F!!ing around.   =P

Man that would be nuts. Lol

The SEC & college football is better off when the Vols are competing. After the early come from behind exciting wins, they have fallen off a cliff. I thought they would win the East honestly. Their roster is extremely talented. Jones has let his players down & I would beat he has lost his lockeroom too.

Bonckers and Dru like this

1 hour ago, bigbrod81 said:

The SEC & college football is better off when the Vols are competing. After the early come from behind exciting wins, they have fallen off a cliff. I thought they would win the East honestly. Their roster is extremely talented. Jones has let his players down & I would beat he has lost his lockeroom too.

This was a subject on Feinbaums show yesterday. Look for Charlie Strong to be a hot candidate if the Vols move in a different direction next season. Feinbaum said he had a feeling when Texas hired Strong, it was a bad fit. He feels Strong is an SEC style coach and would do well in Tenn. 

This thread has sort of morphed into a Tenn. thread, so if ATN wants to move it, fine by me.

Dude, what is this, Little League!?!

Tennessee was picked to win the SEC East.

Florida won the SEC East.

Head coach Butch Jones:

Jones on this senior class: "They’ve won the biggest championship – that’s the championship of life”

Wow!

When you lose the SEC East again, but it's okay because you're a champion at life #ButchJones #voLs

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/21/13706210/butch-jones-tennessee-football-life-championship?yptr=yahoo

41 minutes ago, Dru said:

This thread has sort of morphed into a Tenn. thread, so if ATN wants to move it, fine by me.

Dude, what is this, Little League!?!

Tennessee was picked to win the SEC East.

Florida won the SEC East.

Head coach Butch Jones:

Jones on this senior class: "They’ve won the biggest championship – that’s the championship of life”

Wow!

When you lose the SEC East again, but it's okay because you're a champion at life #ButchJones #voLs

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/21/13706210/butch-jones-tennessee-football-life-championship?yptr=yahoo

That is pure garbage & something that a real loser would do. It reeks of desperation on the part of Butch Jones. It's no better than this if you ask me.

BamaOleMiss020.jpg

K1jmAPa.jpg

We are still missing that mismatch in space/big time screen type/home run threat in space type back that Bush & Sproles provided on our better teams. This is one of the biggest differences in our current offense in comparison to past offenses along with a TE with the heart to work down the seams. It showed last week in how the Lions were able to pressure Brees upfront while playing good coverage in the secondary. This is the perfect example of how not having that type of weapon in the offense hurts us because last week had the Saints had a back like this, he would have had plenty of opportunities in space with swing passes & check downs. Two guys who should be available in the mid to late rounds are Alvin Kamara from Tennessee & Elijah Mcguire from Louisiana-Lafayette (Mcguire is from Houma, Vanderbilt High School). Both have great receiving hands, good burst & good tackle breaking power for scat back types.

Alvin Kamara 

Elijah Mcguire 

Saint ATN likes this

10 hours ago, Dru said:

CzVXyr2XUAAuAde.jpg:large

I really think this guy maybe underrated heading into the draft but he will be one of those guys who will show up, grind & people will say, where did this dude come from? How come we never heard much of him in college?

Edited by bigbrod81
Bonckers likes this

There are lots of quality backs in this draft.  I hope we can end the Marcus Murphy experiment.   Hightower has found the fountain of ...  well middle-age.   Unless we bring in a barn-burning FA RB - I actually hope we double-dip on RB this year.   Something like:

1.  DE/OLB/Mike

2. RB

3. CB

4. OLine/Dline

5.  traded

6. RB/WR

7. Oline

Saint ATN likes this