Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faceman

How bout dem cubs

87 posts in this topic

Maybe ought to be it's own new thread?

My opinion will reiterate what ATN alluded to.  How much skin do you have in the game?  If you're emotionally invested, no matter what the reason, then it means more to you.  Regardless of sporting event.  

Edited by Dru

17 minutes ago, billyc said:

One of the most exciting sporting events that I ever watched was Vince Young almost single handily beating USC. The most exciting event was Ali vs. Frazier. There's no baseball or hockey series that I would trade those for.  

I believe this is from you not being a baseball fan growing up & possibly not playing little league ball as a kid. Baseball has subtle intricacies that if you didn't grow up following the game, you won't catch or understand. Certain pitches get pitched in certain counts depending upon the pitcher's repetitore of pitches he has mastered. Same goes for pitch location. When I'm waiting a game & a pitcher goes up 0-2, I already know the next pitch is not supposed anywhere in the strike zone. My high school pitching coach drilled to us, that you never throw a pitch in the zone up 0-2. You try to get the batter who is in protection mode, to chase out of the zone. Unless the pitch on an 0-2 count rides the borders of the strike zone, it is a blatant mistake location wise by the pitcher. A pitcher should never give up a homer up 0-2 but human error happens.

Slidell Saint, Bonckers and like this

20 minutes ago, billyc said:

However, I wasn't emotionally invested in Texas, Vince Young, or even college football. Not at all. But as a fan of sports in general, there was no denying that that was one of the best sporting events that I ever witnessed in my life. That game took me on a emotional roller coaster ride for 60 minutes. 

Sure, but not a true, die hard Cubs fan in the world is going to put that NC Game above this past 7 game series.  They just won't.  Sports are emotion.  Trying to take emotion out of a question like this is just... I don't know how or why anyone would attempt to argue this in any sort of legal, fact based only, type of manner.  That's my two cents.

5 hours ago, billyc said:

By the way, I went to youtube yesterday and wathed Cub's fans reaction when they made the last out of game 7. They were crying. I had to turn it off because tears started coming down my face. It brought back memories of the Saints winning the super bowl.

Some of the footage that has been broadcasted the last few days can hit you right in the heart especially the videos of elderly Cubs fans dressed in Cubs gear celebrating this victory. Truly awesome indeed.

and faceman like this

On 11/4/2016 at 2:26 PM, billyc said:

Face said that no single sporting event can compete with 7 game series. He even went so far as to say that he'd rather watch the Stanley Cup over the super bowl. To be fair, he said that the super bowl couldn't compete it terms of excitement and drama. I assume that since he feels that way that he prefers the Stanley Cup over the super bowl.

Billy I never said I prefer the Stanley Cup over the SB. ;);)  I Said the 1994 series where the NY Rangers ended a 54 year drought was full of drama. I wasn't born into hockey like citizens of Canada and the Northern U.S. While they are ice skating on naturally frozen ponds, we are still wearing T-shirts and shorts.  That said, I did appreciate what the Rangers accomplished. Every away venue they played in, they heard the chant 1940,1940. When they ended the curse in game 7,all I could think about was the Saints ending theirs.

I believe Baseball will always be Americas pastime for one reason. It's the only major sport where a person of average heigth,and weight can be a special player. Pete Rose, George Brett and Frank Robinson were 6,0 and 180 Lbs. None of these could cover Jerry Rice on a post. I'd take either one when it came to facing a 100 Mph fastball from Nolan Ryan. Jerry Rice would be embarrassed. 

1 hour ago, billyc said:

In reality what your statement says is that the worst World Series ever played is better than the best super bowl ever played. And I think that's patently false. What say you?

The worst of the WS ends in 4 games . There is no drama involved in a 4 game sweep. I am going to bow out now. It's obvious some of us here love baseball. I might be wrong,but I think you have a passing interest,and love football much more. There is nothing wrong with that. Everyone can't be the same. If they were, it'd be a very boring world to live in. 

Slidell Saint likes this

Billy, just let it go man.  He explained it.  No one has to agree.  There's no black and white, hard line to draw when people are discussing how they enjoy their sports.

1 hour ago, billyc said:

Fair enough. You were talking about a World Series that went the full seven games. My bad.

Let me ask you one last question, please. Do you think that every World Series that went the full 7 games was better than the best super bowl? 

it depends on who you were a fan of. I believe the Cubs were Americas team much like the 2009 Saints. History is really what makes sports special. It's why upstart leagues like the WFL and USFL eventually folded. Howard Mudd  made a great statement when he hosted the segment on NFLN that voted Dick Butkus the 10th best player in history. He said "When you watch the Bears play, you know Dick Butkus was there". 

Slidell Saint likes this