Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faceman

How bout dem cubs

87 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2016 at 9:46 PM, Dru said:

The loveable losers win.  Cubs Win!  Harry Caray, "Cubs Win!"

Imo game 6 is critical. If the Cubs can somehow pull it off, the pressure will be on Cleveland for game 7. 

4 hours ago, Dru said:

Oct. 26, 1991 -- Twins 4, Braves 3 (11)

Kirby Puckett won Game 6 by putting on a one-man show, with three hits, a great catch and a walk-off home run to force a seventh game in the series. According to Elias Sports Bureau research, Puckett is the only player to have a go-ahead RBI in three plate appearances in a single World Series game.

As a Braves fan, this one hurt. Bad base running by Lonnie Smith cost the Braves what should have been their first WS title. Smith was one first. I can't remember the next batter,but he doubled to the gap. Instead of watching the 3rd base coach,Smith looked at the ball,and then fell for a fake by the Twins 3rd baseman and slid into 3rd. If he used proper base running,he would have scored and Puckett wouldn't have had a chance to be the hero. 

The Red Sox won what many consider one of the best baseball games of all-time. Carlton Fisk's home run off the foul pole won the game in the 12th inning, after Bernie Carbo tied the game in the eighth with a three-run homer. Fisk's home run is tied for the latest World Series walk-off homer by inning (Alex Gonzalez, 2003 Marlins).

This is arguably the best game of all time. I remember watching it as a kid. The game also showed how much of a competitor Pete Rose was. He walked to the dugout after the HR. and told Reds Mgr. Sparky Anderson "  I'm honored to have played in a game like this". Sparky said Are you Nuts Pete? Pete replied back. "Skip,we are going to win tommorrow night, don't worry". "You should feel honored too". I remember Anderson telling this story to Roy Firestone. He said it took him a few years,but finally realized Rose was right. 

Edit- my memory served me wrong. I found the video of Smith. He actually fell for the fake by the Twins 2nd baseman. Regardless, this is a mental error a MLB player should never make. Watching the 3rd base coach is something taught in Little League.My memory is really bad, this occurred in game 7, not 6. Anyways, the Braves should have won the series. 

watch?v=eM5kHJUBRSE

Edited by faceman

Lonnie Smith costing my Braves the '91 World Series still hurts.  I've been a Braves fan as long as I can remember, and that blunder of his still hurts bad.  The Braves should have won game 7 1-0 in 9 innings.  Instead, they lose it 1-0 in 10.  All he had to do was look at the 3rd base coach.

faceman likes this

As I type it's 9-2 in the bottom of the 9th. It's almost a given there will be a game 7 tommorrow night. The pressure is now on the Indians. Much credit to manager Joe Madden who didn't let this team quit. 

likes this

1 hour ago, Dru said:

Welp boys, here we go for all the marbles.  Great Series!

We are all here because we are Saints fans that love football. That said, there is no SB that can ever match the drama of a seven game World Series. Baseball is a beautiful sport. It's a game within a game. It's a team sport that revolves around a individual match up between pitcher and batter. 

Slidell Saint likes this

Nothing compares to Game 7 of the World Series.

Put the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Cubs in that Game 7 and...wow...

The only thing that could possiblly make this better would be playing it in Wrigley Field.

I think I'm going to grill some brats with onions, peppers and sauerkraut tonight.

I can't wait.  

faceman likes this

11 hours ago, billyc said:

I wonder how many people feel the same way. I don't know how to do a poll on this site, but here's the order for me.

1. Super Bowl

2. Game 7 of NBA finals

3. Game 7 of World Series

Superbowl is dead last Imo. Game 7 in baseball is the boss Imo. You either get it or you don't :P

Slidell Saint likes this

44 minutes ago, faceman said:

Chapman shouldn't have pitched till the 9th. This mistake may cost the Cubs

I actually thought the choice to pull Hendricks was the worse call.  Hendricks was rolling.  If Hendricks finished his inning or even went one further, maybe Chapman isn't faced with that position.

Edited by Dru