Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David

Saints land TE Coby Fleener - 5 years, $36 million

7 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, faceman said:

This is a very good signing. A pass catching TE became a huge need once Ben Watson left. It's one position we no longer have to address in the draft.

Agreed.  It takes the pressure off of needing Coleman to step up big time, or for a Hill / Hooman to be a heavy contributor that they have never been to this point in their careers.  Having a bonafide pass catcher also lessens any pressure for a new draftee as we can now afford to bring them along slowly as needed.

Have to see the full structure of the deal, but this contract is not exorbiant.  Under SP and with Drew Brees throwing him passes, Coby could easily be a top 5 TE over the next 3 seasons or more.  Another Stanford guy too, so I like that.

7 minutes ago, Dru said:

Agreed.  It takes the pressure off of needing Coleman to step up big time, or for a Hill / Hooman to be a heavy contributor that they have never been to this point in their careers.  Having a bonafide pass catcher also lessens any pressure for a new draftee as we can now afford to bring them along slowly as needed.

Have to see the full structure of the deal, but this contract is not exorbiant.  Under SP and with Drew Brees throwing him passes, Coby could easily be a top 5 TE over the next 3 seasons or more.  Another Stanford guy too, so I like that.

We bogged down on offense once we hit the opponents red zone last year. Drew really missed that Jimmy Graham type of target. I just hope Drew doesn't become to dependent and start throwing into triple coverages like he did with Graham. 

I like him and am glad we signed him, but I would rather be spending money on the defense than the offense. We are very good at developing offensive payers, but not defensive. We now have added two high priced offensive weapons two years in a row with one defensive that didn't pan out and Breaux on the cheap. I really hope we get front seven help very soon or we could be back in the same boat as years past trying to out score teams.