Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dru

Saints to decide on whether to exercise 5th year option on K. Vaccaro

11 posts in this topic

I wouldn't do it.  I realize they can excerise the option and then sign a better more cap friendly longer term deal.  But if you excersie that option, that $5.3 million is a starting point for salary discussions and he simply isn't worth that.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/01/new_orleans_saints_kenny_vacca_7.html#incart_river_index

phil, bigbrod81 and louder like this

I cannot fathom how this staff didn't realize Kenny would be a slightly more athletic Roman Harper. 

Eric Reid was right there for us not even an hour away.

bigbrod81 likes this

I cannot fathom how this staff didn't realize Kenny would be a slightly more athletic Roman Harper. 

Eric Reid was right there for us not even an hour away.

Reid has easily been the better safety of the two. Vaccaro has gone downhill since a solid rookie campaign. For years, we as fans begged for young athletic LBs. It seems we've turned a corner there. Now if the organization can only change its fortunes at safety.......

phil likes this

I'm uneasy making hasty decisions in our secondary. We had no consistent pass rush, and aside from Rob's first year we really haven't had one since 2009.  No DB can cover forever and we keep our secondary running for days and then crucify them when they fail.

Each year we have limited CAP space to work with, so we can usually only afford a few key free agents and on D we keep investing in the secondary, how 'bout we bring in a marquee D lineman for a change? Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. 

zeke187 and faceman like this

I'm uneasy making hasty decisions in our secondary. We had no consistent pass rush, and aside from Rob's first year we really haven't had one since 2009.  No DB can cover forever and we keep our secondary running for days and then crucify them when they fail.

Each year we have limited CAP space to work with, so we can usually only afford a few key free agents and on D we keep investing in the secondary, how 'bout we bring in a marquee D lineman for a change? Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. 

I'm torn on Vaccaro as well. I posted the following in the draft forum,but it's relevant here. Our pass defense woes go beyond the secondary. Ellerbe is the only Lb on the roster who's good in coverage,but he can't stay healthy. 

http://theadvocate.com/sports/saints/14607092-123/evaluating-the-problem-areas-within-the-saints-pass-defense

Haplo likes this

That money is money for a good safety. Vaccaro hasn't been good since his rookie year, I honestly hope they don't exercise that. If he ends up playing better cool, offer him something but don't have already the money tied up to him regardless

He's not worth it. He plays out of control and without discipline. Kenny also doesn't show the ability Malcolm Jenkins had of at least being serviceable in attempting to cover a receiver. Kenny's main attribute is run support. There's plenty of cheap safeties who can do this. We need a playmaker at each spot in the secondary. Breaux may become one, but he isn't yet. Neither Byrd nor Kenny showed any ability to make plays only be a part of them. This must change. 

Not a homer pick, and he may come relatively cheap due to his current injury, but Jalen Mills in the middle rounds if he slips from LSU would be a nice addition. Heady player who has time at corner and at safety who can be the quarterback of the defense and can really cover backs, receivers, and tight ends would be an intriguing choice. He was never fully healthy his senior year for the Tigers and that makes him an attractive "high value pick" if he slips.

Not a homer pick, and he may come relatively cheap due to his current injury, but Jalen Mills in the middle rounds if he slips from LSU would be a nice addition. Heady player who has time at corner and at safety who can be the quarterback of the defense and can really cover backs, receivers, and tight ends would be an intriguing choice. He was never fully healthy his senior year for the Tigers and that makes him an attractive "high value pick" if he slips.

Mills can flat out cover as a safety. As a Tiger fan, we've seen him grow from a corner to a undisciplined young safety to leader & general on the field. He has learned where he needs to be according to assignments in coverage. Out of all the Tigers I've watch over the last 5-6 years, no one player developed more as the years passed than Jalen Mills. The kid turned himself into a ball hawking safety. We could definitely use that.

Edited by bigbrod81