Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

N/S 49ers hire Chip Kelly as HC

21 posts in this topic

Wow is all I can say. Can we haz Tomsula as defensive line coach though?! Let's not beat around the bush like last year when Vic Fangio could have been gotten after Harbaugh was let go.

Edited by bigbrod81
Chuck and Saint ATN like this

It makes sense though. There were rumors that the Harbaugh/Baalke/York feud began over Colin Kaepernick's development moving forward after the Super Bowl run for the 49ers. Harbaugh supposedly wanted to develop Kaepernick more as a pocket passer which meant growing pains for the 49ers offense. Baalke & York wanted to win now. The two wanted Harbaugh to continue using the zone read looks with Kaepernick as runner. Harbaugh was looking to the future. York & Baalke were looking at it from a short term, win now perspective. You have to wonder if Kaepernick's contract was designed the way it was to make him disposable if he became injured or injury prone from usage or the plans management had in using him as a majority zone read QB. Baalke & York will definitely get their wish with the hiring of Chip Kelly. Kaepernick won't last & goodbye to playing solid defense in the Bay.

Edited by bigbrod81
Saint ATN likes this

It makes sense though. There were rumors that the Harbaugh/Baalke/York feud began over Colin Kaepernick's development moving forward after the Super Bowl run for the 49ers. Harbaugh supposedly wanted to develop Kaepernick more as a pocket passer which meant growing pains for the 49ers offense. Baalke & York wanted to win now. The two wanted Harbaugh to continue using the zone read looks with Kaepernick as runner. Harbaugh was looking to the future. York & Baalke were looking at it from a short term, win now perspective. You have to wonder if Kaepernick's contract was designed the way it was to him disposable if he became injured or injury prone from usage or the plans management had in using him as a majority zone read QB. Baalke & York will definitely get their wish with the hiring of Chip Kelly. Kaepernick won't last & goodbye to playing solid defense in the Bay.

I wonder if Kelly's first action is to start getting rid of veteran "malcontents" that don't buy into his BS. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he tells Navarro Bowman he needs 12 hours of sleep every night , the kind of vitamins he needs to take and will administer a  daily urinalysis to make sure he's doing it. 

bigbrod81 and Saint ATN like this

I wonder if Kelly's first action is to start getting rid of veteran "malcontents" that don't buy into his BS. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he tells Navarro Bowman he needs 12 hours of sleep every night , the kind of vitamins he needs to take and will administer a  daily urinalysis to make sure he's doing it. 

Bowman is going to tell Chip to get f*cked, plain & simple. You don't handle proven veterans in the manner that Kelly does. It doesn't work. Kelly better understand this go around he isn't dealing with 18-19 year old kids in college. His approach better change or he is going to fall flat on his face again in San Francisco.

Edited by bigbrod81
faceman and Saint ATN like this

I agree that the only sense this makes is if ownership feels like they must have a coach who can salvage Kaepernick.

When it comes to the contract, there is zero doubt that it was structured in such a way that they could cut bait without getting killed with the cap hit.  No one in the NFL or the 9ers organization had the confidence in Kaepernick's future development to guarantee the big time QB dollars that we in his contract.  

When it comes to Harbaugh and his pupil, ownership would be stupid to not realize that Harbaugh had already given Kaep a few seasons with zone read options to help him transition into the NFL.  It was time to take the training wheels off.  

This hire has disaster written all over it.  It's like the perfect storm.

faceman, Saint ATN, Chuck and 1 other like this

I love this hire! It comforts me greatly to see that the 49ers will be wallowing in stupefying mediocrity for at least a few more years.  This has epic fail written all over it.

Coaches in NFC West, who doesn't belong?

Pete Carroll - 2 Super Bowl appearances, 1 win

Jeff Fisher - 1 Super Bowl appearance, came within one yard of a victory.  My opinion is that was because of Steve McNair but he did coach a team to the Super Bowl.

Bruce Arians - before this season he had 2 AP coach of the year awards yet only one complete season as a head coach.  My bet is after this year he will be another coach with a Super Bowl appearance in the NFC West.

Chip Kelly - thinnest playbook in the NFL and I am pretty certain the only NFL coach who won't let his QB call audibles (at least only one I know of).

Saint ATN, faceman and bigbrod81 like this

good article, thanks for sharing. Here's another one that suggests Tomsula was working against Harbaugh while he was on his staff. If it's true,I doubt Tomsula coaches in the NFL again

http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2016/01/05/bay-area-radio-host-tomsula-betrayed-harbaugh/

good article, thanks for sharing. Here's another one that suggests Tomsula was working against Harbaugh while he was on his staff. If it's true,I doubt Tomsula coaches in the NFL again

http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2016/01/05/bay-area-radio-host-tomsula-betrayed-harbaugh/

What a complete mess. If true, Tomsula committed career suicide. No head coach is going to want back stabbing, brown noser on their staff no matter how good of a position coach he is. Only reason Gregg Williams got another job after throwing the Saints organization under the bus is due to his long friendship with Jeff Fisher. If he doesn't work out with the Rams, he's pretty much done in the NFL.

What a complete mess. If true, Tomsula committed career suicide. No head coach is going to want back stabbing, brown noser on their staff no matter how good of a position coach he is. Only reason Gregg Williams got another job after throwing the Saints organization under the bus is due to his long friendship with Jeff Fisher. If he doesn't work out with the Rams, he's pretty much done in the NFL.

I believe there's some merit to this speculation. If Harbaughs tweet saying you reap what you sow was directed at Tomsula,I'd personally believe it was true.  

4 years, $24 million.  That's just crazy talk right there.  It should have been 3 years for $12 million.  Really, the 49ers should have been the ones to hire Dirk Koetter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14569856/san-francisco-49ers-hire-chip-kelly-next-coach

It would be interesting to see the break down  by year on the contract.  The Eagles are on the hook for his contract in 2016 for $6 million I think it is.  However the Eagles only have to pay the difference of what the 49ers pay him and the $6 mill they owe him.  In reality Kelly could be getting only $2 million this year from the 49ers (and then $4 mill form the Eagles) and then the remaining $22 million over the next 3 years.  Not certain if owners would screw each other over like that but you never know with York.

I know what you're saying but what I'm getting at is why did the 9ers hitch their wagon to him for that long and for that much money.  He wasn't going to get another job in the NFL, so if he wanted this one, he could have easily accepted a 3 year deal (which used to be the norm for a HC gig not that long ago).  What the hell has Chip Kelly ever done to deserve $6 million per?  

To lure him away from a cush college job, I understand why the Eagles had to overpay and give a longer contract.  But he's damaged goods now.  By making this type of comittment, the 9ers will very likely find themselves in the exact same position the Eagles are in now.  Namely, that they will be forced to cut him loose before his contract runs out and will be stuck paying him for nothing.

When Haslett got hired by the Saints, they were paying him less than $1 million per season because they still had to pay out Ditka on what was a very stupid contract extension that they previously gave to him.  And why did they give it to Ditka, with only a couple of 6 win seasons to show for it?!?  Retarded.  Notre Dame one upped everyone by giving Charlie Wise a 10 YEAR DEAL after only one winning season.  They're probably still paying for his trips to the Golden Corral.  Will these owners ever learn?

Drew likes this