Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonckers

Jaylon Smith haveing MCL/ACL surgery

27 posts in this topic

They are not the injuries they used to be. I would think really ahrd about passing on him if he is there. Todd Gurely came back halfway through the season with a similar injury and killed it this year. He is the type of Linebacker is paired with Kikaha and Anthony could really terrorize other teams. That would be the most talent we have seen since the dome patrol at Linebacker. I would take him if no rusher is there, and no O line prospect is there we like that high. Just my 2 cents on the subject. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/06/top-draft-prospect-jaylon-smith-having-aclmcl-surgery/

Top draft prospect Jaylon Smith having ACL/MCL surgery

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2016, 11:38 AM EST
during the BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium on January 1, 2016 in Glendale, Arizona.Getty Images

Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith, considered a potential Top 5 pick in the 2016 NFL draft, will have surgery to repair a torn ACL and MCL suffered last week in the Fiesta Bowl.

Smith’s reconstructive knee surgery isscheduled for Thursday, Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports.

Although the knee injury may affect his draft stock, Smith is still expected to enter the 2016 draft. As a junior, he has the option to return to Notre Dame next season and enter the 2017 draft, or even take a redshirt year in 2016, play in 2017 and enter the 2018 draft. But the best bet is that Smith decides to follow in the footsteps of Todd Gurley last year, who turned pro after a bad knee injury and was still a Top 10 pick and a rookie of the year candidate.

Smith won the Butkus Award last season as the best linebacker in college football and is widely regarded as the most talented linebacker in this year’s draft class.

I would take a risk on him in the second. We really can't afford to spend a high first round pick on a player who will probably spend the first 6 weeks of the regular season on the PUP list. We need players who can start day one.

Edited by bigbrod81
faceman likes this

I don't think he will last that long. Especially after Todd Gurely this pas year. I think he goes late first. I tell you what if he goes to the Panthers at the end of the first I'm gonna be pissed. That team has a plethora of athletic LBer's and doesn't need anymore. I could see that happening though, or maybe even GB to pair up with Mathews. I don't see him falling out of the first or even lasting to the second round when we draft in the middle of the round. 

I don't think he will last that long. Especially after Todd Gurely this pas year. I think he goes late first. I tell you what if he goes to the Panthers at the end of the first I'm gonna be pissed. That team has a plethora of athletic LBer's and doesn't need anymore. I could see that happening though, or maybe even GB to pair up with Mathews. I don't see him falling out of the first or even lasting to the second round when we draft in the middle of the round. 

Gurley tore his ACL only. Smith tore his along with his MCL. The reports I've read say his injury was pretty gruesome. 

bigbrod81 likes this

Gurley tore his ACL only. Smith tore his along with his MCL. The reports I've read say his injury was pretty gruesome. 

Which is why I felt Smith won't be ready to start the season. Gurley wasn't ready for the beginning of this past season & he only tore his ACL. Smith tore MCL as well. You have to wonder if there is damage to his meniscus as well. You can almost bet he'll be on PUP to start the season & it's possible that it maybe in his best interest to be held out for the entire season by whatever team drafts him.

Dru likes this

Good point gentleman I didn't realize it was a different scenario between the two. In that case I say pass in the first definitely. 

If we gonna take a shot on a LB coming off a knee injury, I won't have a problem rolling the dice on Myles Jack. His meniscus injury occurred early in the college season. He may have to take it easy through rookie & mini camp but by training camp he should be at to 100%.

MylesJack.jpg

UCLA linebacker Myles Jack tore his anterior meniscus this week, and underwent knee surgery that head coach Jim Mora said will end his season. Jack is sidelined for the next four to six months rather than weeks, Mora explained, because he had his meniscus stitched — a process that requires more rehab.

Dr. Scott Rodeo is the co-chief emeritus of sports medicine and shoulder service at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, as well as the team physician for the New York Giants. He answered some questions about Jack’s injury, as well as the star linebacker’s prospective recovery timetable.

Q: What are the advantages of opting for a stitch over trimming the meniscus?

A: “It’s only a minority of tears that are repairable, based on the location of a tear, and blood supply to the meniscus. But if it’s a repairable tear, it’s better to repair for the long-term health of that knee. The issue is that it takes time to heal. Most of the time, (trimming) a torn meniscus, you can get back to sports in three to four weeks. It can be quick. In contrast, a repair, you let the meniscus heal, and it takes time. It’s a much different rehab, but better in the long term for the kid’s knee.”

Q: Is a four- to six-month recovery timetable a conservative estimate, or is that fairly common after a meniscus is stitched?

A: “That’s very typical. It may take more. It can take a knee up to six months, to really let it heal, and then get your motion back — your strength, coordination, balance, and everything in the knee. Four to six months is perfectly appropriate. It almost takes you back to contact sports. You can run between months three and four, and at the four-month point kind of progress to more sports-specific activity. Full-go contact can be at least six months there.”

Q: Do any effects linger from this type of injury?

A: “It can. It depends on a lot of factors. The biggest effect it’ll have on the knee in years to come would be other injuries. Particularly if there’s injury to the joint surface, the cartilage on the surface, that can affect the outcome in the next three to five years. If it’s just an isolated meniscus tear, if everything else is normal in the knee, you can expect it to heal quite well. Based on our data, kind of 85 to 90 percent good clinical outcomes in that setting. It’s not perfect but it’s pretty good.”

Q: How much does Myles Jack’s age help his chances at a recovery?

A: “It helps. Meniscus healing as far as the biology of healing, the younger patient versus your older patient. A 20-year-old, it’s probably good quality tissue that works in his favor. … Young patient with a good knee, you’d like to try to salvage and maintain your meniscus if you tear it. The only downside is it does take time.”

Q: Given Myles Jack’s position and the amount of lateral movement it demands, is it more crucial that he rests is properly before returning to the field?

“Yeah, definitely. Meniscus healing is even more dependent on just his ability to regain coordination, balance, strength. The return to sports can take longer. It might be strong and healed and six months, but he might not get back to sports can perform at a high level until more like 10 months. That’s more dependent on function. That’s coordination, balance, strength. The demands are relatively high in football. To put him back on the field, where he’s got adequate strength and balance and the ability to protect himself and play at a high level, it can be every bit of six months.”

Q: In your experience with these types of tears, what’s the best-case scenario in terms of recovery time?

“I’d see him trying to get back after the four-month point, but it’s probably not advisable. Part of it is, he may not have full function as far as the other factors I mentioned — strength, balance, coordination. The other part of it is, the meniscus itself needs to continue to heal and mature and remodel. That’s a gradual process. I would give it up to six months.

“It’s not a cookbook type of thing. It’s not just based on a calendar. Returning to sports is determined based on the athlete’s function. It’s not one size fits all. Some athletes are ready in four and a half months. Some take eight months. So it’s got to be individualized. He has to be able to assess how that individual is doing, put them through the functional tests, and really make sure that they’re ready and able to go back.”

Q: If Myles Jack declares for the NFL draft, could he be up to his pre-injury form in time for the NFL Combine in February and other pre-draft workouts?

“Five months from now, so he’ll be getting there. He may not be 100 percent, but he may be pretty close. I think teams will still want to assess his meniscus, but he should be pretty far along.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2015/09/26/examining-myles-jacks-recovery-timetable-after-his-meniscus-tear/

The more i watch and think about it, I'd take the chance on Smith at 12. He's a once a generation LB that could play Cb if asked too. Cam Newton to the outside? Not with Smith in the line up. Sproles out of the backfield? Smith would stick to him like glue. I knew Smith was a great talent,but I didn't know he was this fast. The last 240+ Lb LB i saw run like this was Lawrence Taylor. 

I know there isn't much else that they can say to the media and the teams, but these were tweets from their media interviews at the combine: 

Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith said his goal is to play at some point during the 2016 season. Said nerve wasn't damaged. Torn ACL.

"That's my job to go out there and erase it," UCLA linebacker Myles Jack says of all the medical questions he's getting. Tore his meniscus in September. Says it would be a mistake for teams to sleep on him because of his injury.

UCLA's Myles Jack (6-foot-1, 245 pounds) said NFL teams have talked to him about playing Safety, Mike Linebacker, Will Linebacker and Sam Linebacker. One of the most versatile prospects in the 2016 draft class. Due to a knee injury, Jack won't run here at the combine this week.

"Leaving your team, leaving your school, I learned a lot at UCLA. It was tough," Myles Jack says of leaving early. Says he was behind in school, behind health-wise and slept on the decision for a week.

UCLA linebacker Myles Jack says he feels 100%. Is expecting medical clearance March 11.

Edited by Dru

INDIANAPOLIS – Myles Jack felt he had to leave UCLA. 

A day before a torn lateral meniscus ended his junior season in practice on Sept. 22, the first quarter of school began at UCLA. Jack, a junior, was set to begin taking upper-level classes in his major, anthropology. But nearly instantly after Jack’s injury, which was followed by surgery to repair his right knee, he fell behind in school. 

Jack said within the first two weeks after the injury – also the first two weeks of school – he was behind six papers, including five in his major. 

He was faced with a choice. Does he stay in school and try to catch up? Or does he cut his losses and focus on his football future? 

“It’s a tough decision,” Mack said. “I just decided to put that on ice. Definitely going to finish my degree and everything, but decided to go. 

“Having surgery, you’re down for like a week and a half, you can’t move around. I couldn’t come back. I couldn’t play this season. I couldn’t contribute. I just had to weigh all that and just decide, ‘You know what? Shoot for my dream. This is what I’ve always wanted to do. This is my dream.’ I just had to go for it.” 

Weighing on Jack was what would be waiting for him at UCLA in 2016. 

Quarterback Josh Rosen would be returning. So would 10 starters on defense and nine on offense. 

Jack was torn. 

“We had high expectations, and for me to get injured, I had to realize, ‘Hey, I can’t play anymore.’ It was tough leaving my brothers and my teammates and everything. That was the hardest part, guys that I had grinded with, guys that I had came in the class of ‘13 with. It was tough because I had grown up with those guys.” 

But, after taking a deeper look at his options, the answer was obvious to Jack, especially when he delved into his rehab. 

Had Jack stayed in school, his rehab would’ve been overseen by the UCLA medical and athletic training staffs – along with the ailments and injuries of every other UCLA student-athlete. He wanted personalized attention. 

After discussing the idea of leaving school with his mother, La Sonjia, Jack walked into UCLA coach Jim Mora’s office on Oct. 4, a day after UCLA had lost to Arizona State, and informed Mora of his decision. Jack would declare for the NFL draft. During that meeting, Mora played devil’s advocate, Jack said. He laid out the pros and cons, told him the good and the bad of leaving. 

But everything Mora later said publicly in the media, including about how it was “very risky” to leave school, Jack had heard in that meeting. 

“We had felt that I had not done everything at UCLA but we had felt I had done adequate enough to move on to the next level,” Jack said. 

“It was definitely tough but I had to make that decision. I had to make a decision for myself, and sitting down with Coach Mora and talking to him, it was just something I had to do.” 

With the aid of hindsight, Jack still thinks he made the right decision to leave school. 

“You have to make a lot of decisions on your own and you have to live with them,” Jack said. “Whatever decisions you make, it’s the bed you have to lie in. I’m young. I don’t know what’s going to happen next but so far it’s looking good. I’ve just been working hard every day.” 

Jack has been rehabbing at Fischer Institute in Phoenix, which is run by Arizona Cardinals team physical therapist Brett Fischer. Jack was cleared to run and cut on Jan. 22, four months to the day after suffering the injury. 

He’ll miss the on-field workouts here at the NFL scouting combine but will go through medical exams and interviews. 

Jack expects to be cleared by early March, so he can participate in his pro day on March 12. It’ll be his first on-field exposure since he had six tackles and an interception in his last college game on Sept. 19 against BYU. It’ll also be teams’ first opportunity to gauge where Jack fits into an NFL defense. 

If you ask Jack, however, that’s anywhere. Except running back. 

The two-way player in college wants to play defense in the NFL. He said he’ll line up at any of the linebacker positions, and has heard some teams want him as a strong safety – which he played once as a sophomore. 

“I describe myself as a football player,” Jack said. “I always said if they want to put me at running back, let’s do it. That’d be a cool experience.” 

But defense – and in any scheme, at that – is where Jack wants to spend his NFL days. And if Jack had to choose his specific role, it’d a mix of Von Miller in Denver and Luke Kuechly in Carolina. 

“I like how they just let him run,” Jack said of Kuechly. “See ball. Hit ball. Get in your job. Really just make plays. That type of role, where they move Von around, they let Luke move freely. [New England’s Jamie Collins covers guys off the ball. 

“I enjoy that stuff.” 

If the reports about nerve damage are true, I'd say we have to pass on him at 12. ACL's and other knee injuries will eventually heal. Unfortunately nerve damage is permanent. 

This kid may never be the same player again. That truly sucks because not only was Smith a great player on the field, he was the type of player you want in lockeroom. Now, I wouldn’t touch him until at least the 5th round at the earliest & that is even a risk now.

Thing is guys, I'm not sure that Myles isn't the better player and clearly there is a ton less uncertainty involved with his injury and prognosis.  I agree that Jaylon appears to be the faster player, but Myles looks like he plays more downhill in the running game, slashing though and throwing his body around with reckless abandon.  He seems more instinctive to me.  In the passing game, both guys look to be extremely good.  With such little distance between the two players, you take the one with the much safer prognosis.

There isn't a lot of time between now and the draft so Jaylon won't be able to demonstrate any football related progress.  Still though, I can't see a way he escapes the 3rd round unless damning evidence comes out in regard to his injury.  Probably the 2nd truth be told.  I look at the Seahawks and say, ok we're already a Super Bowl caliber team and we're picking at the bottom of the round anyway.  Perfect opportunity to select this guy with hopes for the upside and if he never plays again, we can absorb the loss of one pick.

I'll second the notion that Bonck was describing.  The thought of having Myles Jack next to Anthony and Kikaha has me salivating.  He's a difference maker and you're not going to sniff any LB that scintilating with our 2nd round pick.  DE or DT, however, you have a much better chance of finding with that 2nd rounder.  Who's to say that a guy like Vernon Butler might not be just as good a professional as Jarran Reed will be.  

Edited by Dru
bigbrod81 likes this

Nerve damage isn't always permanent. Many years ago I cut my finger to the bone. I had no feeling in it for almost 2 years. Then one day the feeling came back and all is normal. That said....these reports have scared me away from Jaylon. Too much risk.

agreed, it's too much of a risk now. I also read this tweet from a Orthopedic surgeon who observed Smith walking in his tweet.

#JaylonSmith
Good news: no more knee brace & walking.
Bad news: wearing an AFO, indicates nerve issue.
Too bad. https://twitter.com/thejaylonsmith/status/702584594550398976 

Edited by faceman

I googled AFO brace after reading this. It's commonly used to treat an affliction known as drop foot. That would be a death sentence for any professional athlete. Drop foot can be permaneent in some cases. 

No I agree dude is not worth t for at least the first 4 rounds. Saying that I think someone takes him in the 2nd. Just better not be us. I would not mind a 5th on him though. We did take Tulver last year who basically red shirted due to his labram injury. I would definitely be excited in the 5th or later for what he could be. 

Some more tweets from the Combine:

Marc Lillibridge from Twitter56m

I love Jaylon Smith but w/ injury news dropping him, I've heard from teams LB Myles Jack is top 5 pick. Great in interviews!

Katherine Terrell from Twitter

Mayock said DT and CB are the deepest classes here

Chase Goodbread from Twitter1h

Mayock: Treadwell a bottom half of the first-round type guy. "I have a hard time seeing more than one or two WRs in the first round."

Thing is guys, I'm not sure that Myles isn't the better player and clearly there is a ton less uncertainty involved with his injury and prognosis.  I agree that Jaylon appears to be the faster player, but Myles looks like he plays more downhill in the running game, slashing though and throwing his body around with reckless abandon.  He seems more instinctive to me.  In the passing game, both guys look to be extremely good.  With such little distance between the two players, you take the one with the much safer prognosis.

I'll second the notion that Bonck was describing.  The thought of having Myles Jack next to Anthony and Kikaha has me salivating.  He's a difference maker and you're not going to sniff any LB that scintilating with our 2nd round pick.  DE or DT, however, you have a much better chance of finding with that 2nd rounder.  Who's to say that a guy like Vernon Butler might not be just as good a professional as Jarran Reed will be.  

This. You guys have room in that boat? I want in because I've been on Jack since last year. Smith is slightly better in coverage yet Jack is not slouch though but Jack is the far better linebacker against the run. Unfortunately, Smith's injury & Myles' work at the combine, he will go to 10 top.

Meanwhile, Kiper is now on the Deion Jones bandwagon.

deionjones.jpg

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper is a fan of LSU linebacker Deion Jones, to the point that he told the media Monday that Jones is a “Derrick Brooks type.” Brooks is an NFL Hall of Famer for his work as a linebacker with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“He went from being a late-rounder to a first- or second-round pick,” Kiper said on a teleconference Monday. “He probably enjoyed as monumental a leap up the board as any player at any position in this draft. That’s not unheard of, but it rarely happens.”

aid:56d259b6fa225a0f00ed0023;c:1.5;s:6bdpixelSync?nid=35&wb=1&hdid=0

Jones (6 feet 1, 227 pounds) had started just one game in his career before becoming a fulltime starter as a senior in 2015, when he led the Tigers with 100 tackles. He also had 13.5 tackles for loss, five sacks, three pass breakups and two interceptions, including one he returned for a touchdown.

“He can run to the ball, great sideline-to-sideline speed, tremendous range,” Kiper said.

http://gridironnow.com/kiper-lsus-deion-jones-could-be-1st-round-pick/

It's looking more grim for Smith.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/02/27/notre-dame-linebacker-jaylon-smith-failed-medically-by-multiple-teams/

the injury he suffered is almost identical to what running back Marcus Lattimore dealt with, and the former South Carolina running back never recovered before retiring without ever playing an NFL game.

Smith will likely miss the entire 2016 season thanks to his injury, and any team that drafts him will be taking a risk that he never plays a down in the NFL. Hopefully that isn’t the end result of all this, but it doesn’t look good for Smith right now.

It's looking more grim for Smith.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/02/27/notre-dame-linebacker-jaylon-smith-failed-medically-by-multiple-teams/

the injury he suffered is almost identical to what running back Marcus Lattimore dealt with, and the former South Carolina running back never recovered before retiring without ever playing an NFL game.

Smith will likely miss the entire 2016 season thanks to his injury, and any team that drafts him will be taking a risk that he never plays a down in the NFL. Hopefully that isn’t the end result of all this, but it doesn’t look good for Smith right now.

That's awful. I really feel for the young man. Hopefully his situation isn't a worst case scenario instance. If anyone saw the injury when it occurred had to know it was serious. I think the optimistic reports on his recovery just a few weeks ago came from his camp to try to cover up the truth of his knee condition.

Dru and faceman like this

Lattimore was taken in the 4th round by Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers.  Even in the 4th round I remember being shocked and the reason why is simple.  His injury happened late in the season and there was no reasonable way to predict whether he would come back from that.  At the time I recall the 9ers being well off at the RB position, they had Gore and Hyde I believe, so it was a luxury pick and wouldn't hurt them if Marcus could not recover.  Yet, more information was let on through his injury and prognosis than what we have heard about Jaylon.

From wiki, which is just info written by regular people hopefully backed up by a news article.

Lattimore:  On October 27, Lattimore suffered a major injury to his right knee during a game against the Tennessee Volunteers.[23] South Carolina football head coach Steve Spurrier stated that Lattimore had dislocated his right knee and torn every ligament, while also damaging the nerve. 

Jaylon:  During the Fiesta Bowl game against Ohio State, Smith suffered a knee injury in the first quarter and left the game. It was confirmed that the knee was diagnosed with tears to the ACL and LCL.[14] He underwent successful knee surgery on both ligaments on January 7, 2016, and luckily, there was no nerve damage.

So yeah, a lot more was disclosed in discussions about Lattimore's injury.  I wonder if a guy in Jaylon's position has to bring with him his MRI's, XRay's, etc.  Certainly he can't allow 32 doctors to be touching, pressing, and flexing his knee.  If he doesn't bring that type of medical info / records, how would the teams get an accurate read.  Not sure about that portion of the Combine and what medical disclosure is required.  I would think that you could always decline to provide it, because it is your medical information and is confidential.  But then every team could just say nope, he's hiding that info for a reason.

Brod is right that Jaylon's camp is trying to leak info and paint the prettiest picture possible.  It is their job to do so, after all.  Hell, in the Mike Mayock thread I've got Bonck telling me he read an article that said Jaylon's recovery was ahead of schedule and he might do some running at the combine.  Here's how I responded to that:

I'd like to read that article.  The Combine this year seems earlier to me than in year's past.  It begins on February 23rd and On Field Workouts for LBs is on February 28th.  

Running straight ahead is different than cutting, but you'd literally be talking about someone running a 40 yard dash only 50 to 55 days post  major reconstructive knee surgery.

bigbrod81 likes this