Dru

Dead Money, Cap Woes

8 posts in this topic

Make no mistake this has hurt our team this season and will next season as well.

While some of these cuts had to be made (Galette) and others have worked out on face value (JG for Anthony and Unger), all of this dead money is a complete waste of your valuable salary cap.  Sometimes it is better to rent than to buy and we're living with the constraints of what turned out to be some very foolish contracts.  I've complained about the Byrd contract from the day it was signed.  I won't be surprised if that one's on the list next year.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/11/new_orleans_saints_have_four_o.html#incart_story_package

phil likes this

Wow. Gillette's hit next year is really going to hurt. 

Maybe the team's attitude this off season was just cut bait and get it over with. I really can't say I miss any of those players.

Fortunately for us all the cap continues to climb, but regardless, the dead money was a rider to another day and Loomis worked it well for years but in the past couple he has screwed the pooch. I think he needs to concentrate on one sport or the other. That amount of dead money has cost us crucial talent that we'll never know who we could have had. 

Loomis makes it happen when his HC and Scouts say it is worthwhile.  He doesn't override them as if he is the 'talent evaluator'.  I understand it falls under the categorically typical terms of GM, but he's making these deals happen when SP and Co. decide we need to keep this guy, or go get this guy.  We've stuck out A LOT over the last 3 years and that's what gets guys fired, HC and GM alike.  

I don't think that it has much to do with Loomis' participation in the Hornets acquistion and managing the Pelicans.  Demps has been the GM and has made most of the talent acquistion moves from my limited exposure to deals that have gone down for the Hornets / Pelicans.  Loomis did the same thing for Haslett, helping him get guys, until he realized Haslett was a bozo.  It's my opinion that Loomis outlives Payton if someone gets canned within the next 3 years.

Edited by Dru

I dunno, it seems like every damn year a story comes out where our CAP looks grim, and every year and we still manage to make some plays that bring in some coveted free agents and then the CAP doesn't kill us.

Remember after 2008? When (much like this year) the last team to hold the ball won every game and we ended up 8-8? The word in the off season was we didn't have enough money to do anything significant to change that and yet we did enough to win a ring. I also recall after 2009 it was all "oh, the sky is falling, we have 20+ potential free agents, oh, however will we field a team" and we did, and it was a pretty good play-off team even if we did implode under Beastmode.

I appreciate that we don't seem to be getting the return that we'd hoped for from Spiller and Browner, but they were both marquee signings, which on paper sight unseen seemed like good moves and we still seem to do it year after year.

Slidell Saint likes this

Dru mentioned this in another post, but it's still relevant here. The bigger question isn't if,but when the salary bubble eventually bursts. Cable and Direct TV subscribers are leaving in droves to Web services like Netflix and Hulu. 

The current contract doesn't end till 2022,but after that things could get dicey. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/broadcast-cable-tv-ratings-keep-declining-viacom-ae-struggles-underscore-industry-1969568

Dru mentioned this in another post, but it's still relevant here. The bigger question isn't if,but when the salary bubble eventually bursts. Cable and Direct TV subscribers are leaving in droves to Web services like Netflix and Hulu. 

The current contract doesn't end till 2022,but after that things could get dicey. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/broadcast-cable-tv-ratings-keep-declining-viacom-ae-struggles-underscore-industry-1969568

How much did Yahoo pay to stream the game they did?  We all know the NFL gives nothing away.  And I believe as many steaming opportunities are out there the bidding wars is going to ridiculous. 

EDIT: went and found the answer to my own question. Yahoo paid 20 million for the game

Edited by Dale S
faceman likes this

How much did Yahoo pay to stream the game they did?  We all know the NFL gives nothing away.  And I believe as many steaming opportunities are out there the bidding wars is going to ridiculous. 

EDIT: went and found the answer to my own question. Yahoo paid 20 million for the game

Imo, this is the wave of the future. Pay for the stream you wish to view.