Hermann the German

Can someone please fire Rob Ryan NOW!!!

86 posts in this topic

good luck with that, he won't be fired, he'll get a raise most likely...and a hug, and a yelling to on the sidelines next week, and the week after that, and the one after that, yes, he'll even lose the bye, watch. 

Dale S likes this

I never thought I would ever say this. But if they don't fire Ryan and bench Browner this week I'm done watching them this year...just can't stomach this total incompetent bs any longer....

Browner needs to be deactivated next week.  There needs to be a message sent that the undisciplined play will not be tolerated any longer.  The undisciplined play goes past just the penalties, two TD's due to players not holding their assignments and a  player being left wide open comes to mind real quick.  Not all Browner but he is the king of being undisciplined so make the example out of him.

phil likes this

As much as I wanted to punch the announcers in the man parts, they did say something (believe it or not) that was very telling:

Earlier in the week when they interviewed Payton, they quoted him as saying "Sometimes Rob Ryan needs an intervention" and that he puts in "too much" for the defenders. Could be miniscule, but when you factor in how often they're jawing back in forth on the sidelines and how dejected Payton looks when his team gives up chunks of plays, the writing is on the wall.

The most maddening thing of all though is, no matter whom the Saints D Coordinator is, they routinely struggle at covering TEs and, for the most part, the opposition's best players. 

That fluke tipped TD catch for the Titans first score has been happening since 1967, those are the plays that make you say "yep, still the Saints" after they happen.

ill wait for the film study to tell us if Cam Jordan really drew that much attention from the Titans Oline, or if he just believed his own hype and came in with a cloud 9 hangover.

Bill Johnson has been with us for YEARS now and his Dlinemen just can't get it done. 

Edited by BlackNGold4Life
Slidell Saint and faceman like this

Rob Ryan will be gone tomorrow and Dennis Allen will take over. The Saints are lucky to already have him as a defensive assistant. There is really NO WAY RR will be back after this game. He singlehanded gave this must win away. Geez, Mariota looked like the next Dan Marino out there. Somebody has to pay for this...

There is really NO WAY RR will be back after this game. He singlehanded gave this must win away.

I have my doubts on this but am hopeful...and to be clear RR is not the entire problem but he is a big part of it...every defender needs to feel that their job is on the line. I no longer buy that team culture is great crap...when you get inconsistent performances like this (looking at you oline as well) there is a problem....unbelievable.... 

Slidell Saint likes this

Well, timing is everything. We started at 0-3 and then we managed to crawl, scrape our way back to .500 with three straight wins. The Titans on the other hand have dropped 6 straight and also had their HC fired. I joked with a coworker earlier in the week that I wished we played them a week before the firing not the week after. I was only sort of joking, IMO this was the worst possible game to play Tennessee.

I'm also honestly surprised by all of the firings of assistant coaches in the middle of a season that's happened this year. When did this become a thing? I know there's the usual 'scapegoat turnover' of assistants at the end of every season but I don't remember any year prior to this one when it's happened during the season. An occasional HC, but not assistants. Since our Superbowl season we have had a serious problem with getting pressure on the QB. (This just in, no corner can cover forever!) Greg Williams couldn't figure it out, Spags neither, and frankly, the last DC we had that managed to field a good pass rush was, um... Rob Ryan. Can someone tell me why Rob, who has had considerable success with us, and elsewhere, is suddenly the problem, versus our roster being the issue? I like Dennis Allen,  and I was thrilled to have him back, but I don't think he, himself is going to get a lot of sacks out of our team.

Allan likes this

In my opinion there is a divisive chemistry going on that is causing problems. Rob Ryan is a players coach who tells his guys that they are amazing no matter how bad they screw up or how often they do it. That kind of over the top positive attitude works great for year one of your tenure motivating guys but after that it does nothing to check over-inflated egos and contagious stupidity. It causes more problems because Sean Payton is the kind of coach who will light you up on the sideline if you screw up without thinking twice about it. To the players is makes Sean the bad guy and Rob the good guy. We saw how last year the defensive players kept praising Rob and saying how they didn't want to play for anyone else and how Sean became the bad guy in several rants by players including Junior G. I believe that kind of divisive chemistry caused a lot of the issues we had and still continue to have. Say what you want about Gregg Williams and all of his blunders but at least he and Sean were on the same page and there was cohesion. I honestly think this defense with the talent in our secondary under Williams would be scary. 

Joe Vitt and Bill Johnson are what Carl Smith was to Jim Mora. I also believe Ryan has worn out his welcome,but if your'e going to hire a new coordinator, you need to let him hire his own assistants. 

Face, you are absolutely right. Get rid of the whole bunch and start all over again with a fresh set of defensive coaches. Can we think of a proven DC who is out of football in 2015?

Face, you are absolutely right. Get rid of the whole bunch and start all over again with a fresh set of defensive coaches. Can we think of a proven DC who is out of football in 2015?

Imo, the best bet is to look for a up and coming position coach on a team that's fielded good defenses consistently over the course of a few seasons. Carolina, Jets, St. Louis,Seattle,AZ,Denver,and SF are a few examples. 

I'll throw a name out there though. Ron Zook who's currently on the Packers staff as    the ST coordinator. He was the Saints D. Coordinator from 2000-2001. Our D-line of Glover,Darren Howard,and Joe Johnson combined for 40 sacks that season. Zook left after the 2001 season to become HC at Fla. Urban Meyer won his 1st BCS championship with Zooks recruits. Some former Saints like Antonio Gibson and Joe Johnson have said Zook was the best teacher they ever had at any level.

I do remember Zooks schemes here were vulnerable to running Qb's. Rich Gannon ie,killed us on the ground in the Oakland game that year. Michael Vick also had good success running the ball in the 2 games we played against the Falcons.  

Edited by faceman
Dale S, louder, Allan and 1 other like this

If no one else posted it I was going to, I mean having Breaux play off the WR on a 1st and goal from the 7 allowing a easy touchdown because you run zone is retarded! You cannot run zone with our players it is maddenning how many times I see it fail, but we do it anyway. 

Allan and phil like this

Ryan has to go.  We are now hearing some of the same things that were said about Rob in his other coaching jobs.  He tends to try to implement too much into his schemes - and 

it doesn't work.  Players are trying to react instead of being proactive and instinctive.  This defense is starting to remind of Gary Gibbs' defense, or even Venturi's.  Just ineffective.  

Occasionally, there is a good or even great play on defense, but as a whole, the defense is undisciplined and fundamentally unsound.  

Time for a change, and Dennis Allen isn't the answer.  Like Face said, maybe Zook.  Who knows?   But there HAS to be a change.  

phil likes this

Imo, the best bet is to look for a up and coming position coach on a team that's fielded good defenses consistently over the course of a few seasons. Carolina, Jets, St. Louis,Seattle,AZ,Denver,and SF are a few examples. 

I'll throw a name out there though. Ron Zook who's currently on the Packers staff as    the ST coordinator. He was the Saints D. Coordinator from 2000-2001. Our D-line of Glover,Darren Howard,and Joe Johnson combined for 40 sacks that season. Zook left after the 2001 season to become HC at Fla. Urban Meyer won his 1st BCS championship with Zooks recruits. Some former Saints like Antonio Gibson and Joe Johnson have said Zook was the best teacher they ever had at any level.

I do remember Zooks schemes here were vulnerable to running Qb's. Rich Gannon ie,killed us on the ground in the Oakland game that year. Michael Vick also had good success running the ball in the 2 games we played against the Falcons.  

Zook would be a good addition, he but a good deference on the filed.  If we want a intense and discipline driven DC lets go with Mike Singletary