Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbrod81

Horrific news out of Franklin Parish

5 posts in this topic

A young man playing for Franklin Parish High was killed tonight while covering a punt. It appears he was hit by a blindside block that broke his neck. Prayers go out this kid's family, friends, his teammates & the opponent who actually made the hit. This has to be a tough situation for all parties involved. So tragic.

http://www.knoe.com/home/headlines/Player-at-Franklin-Parish-HIgh-School-seriously-injured-324590671.html?device=tablet&c=y

Franklin Parish, La. (KNOE 8 News) - UPDATE: Sept. 4, 2015 at 10:50pm
Sheriff Kevin Cobb confirms Franklin Parish football player has died.

The young man was hit during a punt return in the fourth quarter and broke his neck. He was rushed to the hospital where he died from his injury.

Edited by bigbrod81

News like this gives me a weak feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I've got three sons, all of whom have played, currently play, and very likely will play high school football.

It is a football parent's worst fear.

Sincere prayers and deepest sympathies go out to that boy's family.

Terrible tragedy.

bigbrod81 likes this

I wanted to update this thread earlier this week but it's been a long busy, week.

Tyrell Cameron, (Photo: Facebook)

Tyrell Cameron, (Photo: Facebook)

The Franklin Parish football team in Louisiana will take the field Thursday night, just six days after Tyrell Cameron died from an injury suffered on a punt coverage.

The game was originally scheduled for Friday night at Wossman (Monroe, La.) but was moved a day earlier to allow the players and coaches to attend Cameron’s wake, which is scheduled for Friday night. The funeral is scheduled for Saturday afternoon.

“You know its such a tragedy. So unfortunate. But it’s going to bring us together. It’s going to make us stronger. And we’re going to miss him,” Franklin Parish coach Barry Sebren told WGNO-TV.

RELATED: Teammate shares final words with Tyrell Cameron

Sebren has coached high school and college football for 30 years, but says, “You’re never prepared” for something like this.

“It was a routine punt play where we were punting and he was covering the punt and he was going down to cover the kick and he turned into a blocker and the autopsy will have to tell the final results,” he said. “But I just feel like its one of those freak accidents.”

Reports indicate that Cameron, 16, broke his neck, although the coroner’s office has not released a cause of death.

Amid the outpouring of support for the community from throughout Northeast Louisiana and beyond,casket designer Trey Ganem is donating a custom casket to the Cameron family.

“Words can’t explain it. It’s just very emotional for me and the family. You know, we become part of the family. I spoke with Tyrell’s mom a little while ago and I told her, when you see me all I want is a hug,” Ganem told KTBS this week.

Sebren told Gannett partner The Monroe News-Star that the team has tried to get into something that resembles a normal routine.

“The more we are able to be around each other it is getting back to a little bit of normalcy,” Sebren said. “The kids need to be around each other. And the Union players being here was big for them.”

Sebren said the game Thursday is not about winning or losing.

“It is about the game of football, about overcoming adversity and not letting things defeat you,” Sebren said. “Lessons this game teaches you.”

Sebren is fielding a young team this year and the process of growing up took on a new tone this week.

“Now we have to grow-up,” Sebren said. “I hope our young men will respond in a way that makes our community proud. Wossman would be a tough opponent under any circumstances. Our kids are excited to get to play (Thursday).”

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/franklin-parish-wossman-tyrell-cameron-death