Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

Winston just can't shut his mouth

19 posts in this topic

Jimbo Fisher isn't going to be happy with those comments by Winston. Expect the NC two A to come sniffing around Tallahassee soon. That isn't a major violation but these are the type of issues the NCAA hates because it puts them in a bad light. The NCAA doesn't like to be viewed negatively.

Ive been having a gut feeling for awhile now that the Bucs will either pick Mariotta at #1 or trade the pick. If they trade,the Jets at #6 would be the ideal trade partner Imo.

I still say Winston isn't that bright. maybe he's smart in some ways but a person with average intelligence would have never made that statement in a million years. either that or I'm nuts.

You're not nuts. I said this earlier in the thread. What Winston lacks is wisdom and common sense. Those two have nothing to do with intelligence.

he needs a public relations advisor. stat.

I think we all can agree on this. Intelligent people, including the POTUS usually have others write their speeches for them.

@ Boriko- It's crablegs in Winstons case,but in reality it could be anything. It could have been free hamburgers from a friend who worked at Burger King. Either way, the smart thing would have been to blame himself and not put it off on someone he knew who worked there.

Well, you might think of Winston what ever you want, but if the Bucs pick Mariotta and force him into action from day 1, there will be only 3 parties benefitting: Saints, Panthers and Failcounts...

I mean, avoiding Winston because you dont plan to draft a QB that high, I can understand that. But if you need a QB to start from day 1, Winston is the man in this draft class.

I think we all can agree on this. Intelligent people, including the POTUS usually have others write their speeches for them.

@ Boriko- It's crablegs in Winstons case,but in reality it could be anything. It could have been free hamburgers from a friend who worked at Burger King. Either way, the smart thing would have been to blame himself and not put it off on someone he knew who worked there.

So taking a meal free of charge at a burger-shop is improper sponsoring due to NCAA rules???

So taking a meal free of charge at a burger-shop is improper sponsoring due to NCAA rules???

Yes it's against NCAA rules, and if the owner of the business wants to press charges it's in violation of the law for the employee and the person he " hooks up"

I can remember working for Rax Roast Beef in Morgantown WV when I was 18 and I recall that WVU had a tab with us. Their players had a credit assigned per player. This was for the basketball team exclusively at the time and not to the football players as the 'restaurant' was located in a strip mall next to the Basketball stadium. Players were NOT allowed to exceed that limit, if so we were to report it to the standing manager immediately and there was a phone number in his office of who to call at ANY time. The NCAA does NOT mess around with player violations. I learned this firsthand haggling over roast beef sandwiches with the players and what they were allowed to have versus what they wanted. The players knew their limit and wouldn't go past it but they would still ask for extra everything regardless.

It's almost like a blonde who is highly educated with a successful career in her field of choice. You know she's really smart from an education standpoint but then you take her out to dinner & realize she is dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to social & common sense topics.

probably a minor offense.

Very minor but no one wants the NCAA sniffing around their program at all. FSU should have took the initiative when they first came to light & self reported themselves. By not doing so, it looks like a cover up in the eyes of the NCAA. Usually when this happens NCAA investigators will come into town, digging deeper to find anything else a university maybe covering up. The last thing any school wants to hear concerning their program is lack of institutional control. When that term comes out NCAA officials mouth's, the hammer is not usually far behind.

Lol? Really, what does that have to do with common sense? Cars, cash and jewlery, ok. But sandwiches and milk shakes?!

Because the players are well versed in what is acceptable & what isn't. It sounds simple but nothing about NCAA rules are simple. Some of their rules are flat out stupid.

Lol? Really, what does that have to do with common sense? Cars, cash and jewlery, ok. But sandwiches and milk shakes?!

Whether you like it or not, the NCAA treats a burger and fries the same as a Mercedes and a Rolex. Mike Golic who played at Notre Dame and the NFL has had a very successful career after his playing days are over. He's 1/2 of the very popular M&M radio show on ESPN. He also had 2 sons that played at Notre Dame. His sons often had friends over for visits. Golic said he had to be very careful what he did. He couldn't take them out to dinner because it violated NCAA rules. His sons would have been expelled off the team losing their eligibility,and ND would have been hit with sanctions including the loss of scholarships.

Yes, a free meal is a very serious offense according to the NCAA. It's not fair perhaps,but it is what it is.

Edited by faceman

the common sense aspect came into play when Winston opened his mouth and told the story a few days before the draft

I understand that he was kinda boxed into a corner of having to explain himself to Harbaugh & the other guy but the smart thing for him to do, would have been to not do the segment at all. He could have learned a few things from the Miami Hurricane players under Butch Davis & Larry Coker. The NCAA had their program dead to rights with multiple major violations but all the former players either denied everything or refused to speak. The NCAA investigators ended up screwing themselves by secretly getting evidence from the Nevin Shapiro Ponzi scheme trial. Evidence that the NCAA couldn't use. It ended up putting the case in jeopardy & ultimately helped Miami get off lighter than they should have.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/27/4154708/ncaa-botched-miami-investigation-mark-emmert-donna-shalala

This is the original story when it first broke in 2011. From what's mentioned in this article, Miami received a slap on the wrist when they truly deserved to really get hammered.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/renegade-miami-football-booster-spells-213700753--spt.html

The problem wasn't that he admitted to what happened, it's that he admitted to what actually happened on camera. The whole point of the segment was that it would mimic a real NFL interview with team officials at the Combine. The segment just aired but it was originally shot before the combine. If Winston says what he said to teams interviewing him, what he says stays inside of that interview room. By doing so on camera, he exposed his former school to scrutiny as well.

let me say this another way. Russell Wilson. I know he's smart. win lose or draw...he's not gonna stir up any controversy.

He butted heads with his first college coach at NC State concerning playing baseball. Tom O'Brien basically told Wilson it's either football only or he take his services elsewhere. Wilson ended up transferring to Wisconsin. Wilson once again has been floating the idea of playing baseball.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/18/russell-wilson-says-tom-obrien-kinda-kicked-me-out-of-nc-state/

The drama between Russell Wilson and former NC State head coach Tom O’Brien is pretty much ancient history at this point, but that did not prevent Wilson from dropping the suggestion he was forced out at NC State.

“You know, he was my head coach, you know, NC State,” Wilson said when asked about his time at NC State for an upcoming episode of HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel. “Kinda kicked me out of NC State a little bit.”

Wilson has typically taken the high road any time this topic of conversation has come up over the years, which is why it is a bit surprising to hear him explain the situation with these words.

We pretty much know the story at this point with the parting between O’Brien and Wilson. Wilson wanted to continue being able to play minor league baseball in the Colorado Rockies’ farm system, but O’Brien wanted the quarterback to stay committed to football. As we know by now, Wilson moved on to Wisconsin, led the Badgers to a Big Ten championship and later went on to lead the Seattle Seahawks to one Super Bowl victory and return trip coming up just short of a second. Football has worked out well for Wilson, but the desire to continue playing baseball has not evaporated.

The significance of this quote and its relevance can be better explained now by our pals over at Pro Football Talk, as Wilson is reaching a point where he is ready to get a new contract in Seattle. The last thing Seattle probably wants to do is pull the same power play O’Brien did with Wilson in college.

Wilson will be featured in an interview with next week’s airing of HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel. Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh will be featured as well.

I understand the point you were trying to make though. Andrew Luck would have been a better example. His past is as spotless as can be.

Edited by bigbrod81