Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonckers

N/S Eagles Cutting Trent Cole, and Cary Williams

30 posts in this topic

Those could be two players the Saints go after. They are good players who have produced well that would not break the bank. They would shore up the top two items on the must lists in free agency. I think we could do far worse than them, but free agency will be something to watch this off season with some of the names out there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/eagles-will-cut-trent-cole/

Eagles will cut Trent Cole

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

Trent Cole

AP

Trent Cole is on the way out of Philadelphia.

The Eagles had been hoping to get Cole to take a pay cut, but that hasn’t happened. Now Cole is expected to be released within the next 24 hours, according to Adam Caplan of ESPN.

Cole is a good pass rusher who has 14.5 sacks in the last two seasons, but with his cap number scheduled to be $11.6 million this season, it’s no surprise that the Eagles felt like that was more than they could justify spending.

Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who has been given full control of all personnel decisions, clearly wants to get rid of the aging and expensive veterans on the roster. Todd Herremans and Cary Williams have all been sent packing, and now Cole is on the way out as well.

Kelly is clearing plenty of cap space. He may have plans to make a splash when free agency begins next week.

And trade Shady McCoy to the Bills for Kiki Alfonso

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12415886/philadelphia-eagles-trade-lesean-mccoy-buffalo-bills

The Philadelphia Eagles have a trade in place to send running back LeSean McCoy to the Buffalo Bills, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

In return, the Bills will send linebacker Kiko Alonso to the Eagles, the source said.

Drafted in the second round of the 2009 draft out of Pittsburgh, McCoy has spent his entire six-season career in Philadelphia.

He rushed for 1,319 yards and tallied five touchdowns last season for the Eagles.

Alonso missed all of the 2014-15 season with a torn ACL, but in his rookie season of 2013 he played every defensive snap and ranked third in the NFL with 159 tackles.

The trade can not be made official until the new league year begins next Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET.

Eagles must be looking to sign a FA RB like CJ Spiller or this is a dumb trade. Without McCoy, the Eagles have no offensive threat on the roster to stretch the field.

Eagles must be looking to sign a FA RB like CJ Spiller or this is a dumb trade. Without McCoy, the Eagles have no offensive threat on the roster to stretch the field.

Yeah man, I sure as diddly-pooe didn't see this coming.

Gregg Rosenthal retweeted

Michael Silver ?@MikeSilver 2h2 hours ago

One Bills source: 'Holy s---, this went down in 20 minutes...'

Eagles must be looking to sign a FA RB like CJ Spiller or this is a dumb trade.

Somebody already played around with Chip Kelly's Wiki page to express this.

B_Nh0bQVIAAK23I.png

:lol:

Chip Kelly must have plans to be big time spenders in Free agency. With today's moves they now have $48 million available in cap space.

That would appear to give them over $48 million in cap space. They still have time to make some additional moves, but even if they make no others, they will climb to fifth in total cap space.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/3/3/8145179/philadelphia-eagles-trade-lesean-mccoy-to-buffalo-bills-for-kiko-alonso-cap-space

I wouldn't mind having Trent Cole at all if Loomis could find a way to fit him in our tight budget.

Edited by bigbrod81

I honestly would be afraid they are cutting teis with their veteran leadership, much like we did last off season. Bringing in a bunch of draft picks or young kids is not always the answer.

I honestly would be afraid they are cutting teis with their veteran leadership, much like we did last off season. Bringing in a bunch of draft picks or young kids is not always the answer.

What's the saying? You can't buy a championship? Kelly just needs to look down the road at a divisional rival & ask Mr. Synder if you can buy a championship. He can ask the guy he replaced in Philly as well.

Edited by bigbrod81

Yeah. It worked out great for the Saints. Sarcasm off!!!!!!

Chip Kelly is the most over-rated coach in the league, 8 Pro Bowlers and they missed the playoffs (it is actually 9 but I just can't see how a long snapper really qualifies as a difference maker like most pro bowlers).

Chip Kelly is the most over-rated coach in the league, 8 Pro Bowlers and they missed the playoffs (it is actually 9 but I just can't see how a long snapper really qualifies as a difference maker like most pro bowlers).

Overrated is what Oregon does best. heh

What's the saying? You can't buy a championship? Kelly just needs to look down the road at a divisional rival & ask Mr. Synder if you can buy a championship. He can ask the guy he replaced in Philly as well.

Xactly, but I stay away from Cole, he is 32....

I am definitely in the minority, but I kind of like what the Eagles did in the McCoy trade. I think they saw that they were going to have to pay $10 million plus this year for a RB. A position, IMO, you probably shouldn't pay that much money for. I know Alonso is an Oregon guy, but in his only season he was second in the DROY voting. If he's healthy, which is a big if, that would be a big get. Would you rather pay $10 million for McCoy or $2-3 million total for Alonso and 2/3 round RB X (TJ Yeldon, Tevin Coleman, Ameer Abdullah, etc.)?

I was completely SHOCKED by the McCoy for Alonso trade, didn't see that one coming at all.

Alonso is an Oregon Alumni whom is more than familiar with Chip Kelly, so if anyone knows his upside, it's certainly Chip. What I remember about Alonso was a play a few years ago where the opposition had the ball around the goal and he jumped over the pile to make a great tackle. He beasted his rookie year, but didn't he have some sort of an injury? Thought it was pretty significant.

In name vs name the trade certainly isn't sexy, however they have to have their eyes set on a Suh, Johnson, or another high caliber free agent lurking around. Alonso has plenty of potential, but potential vs proven in McCoy, it's a dice roll... A pretty big dice roll at that.

He beasted his rookie year, but didn't he have some sort of an injury? Thought it was pretty significant.

He did miss all of last year with a torn ACL, so yes it was pretty significant. But he will have had a full 12 months of recovery.

A lot of linebackers will look good behind the Bills defensive line.. best DL in football, imo. Rams are around there as well.

I am definitely in the minority, but I kind of like what the Eagles did in the McCoy trade. I think they saw that they were going to have to pay $10 million plus this year for a RB. A position, IMO, you probably shouldn't pay that much money for. I know Alonso is an Oregon guy, but in his only season he was second in the DROY voting. If he's healthy, which is a big if, that would be a big get. Would you rather pay $10 million for McCoy or $2-3 million total for Alonso and 2/3 round RB X (TJ Yeldon, Tevin Coleman, Ameer Abdullah, etc.)?

You're actually not in the minority. I couldn't listen to the radio much today but when did, it was at least half the fans up here in Philly area are ok with the trade.

McCoy was actually going to be closer to $12 million cap hit, Alonso will be $1 million but is also going to allow them to cut Demaco Ryans who is scheduled to make just about $7 million so the trade basically created $18 million cap savings. They are expected to have about $50-60 mil in cap space. Guess Chip doesn't realize the Eagles already tried the dream team before and it didn't work out too good for them.

It's getting crazy in Philly now. They trade Foles to St. Louis,give up this years 4th and 5th,and next years #2 for Sam Bradford. It doesn't look like they'll be trading up for Mariotta now.

Jmho, but I believe the Rams just raped Philly like they did to Washington in the RG3 trade.

It's getting crazy in Philly now. They trade Foles to St. Louis,give up this years 4th and 5th,and next years #2 for Sam Bradford. It doesn't look like they'll be trading up for Mariotta now.

Jmho, but I believe the Rams just raped Philly like they did to Washington in the RG3 trade.

The Eagles also got the Ram's 5th rounder this year. I think Bradford still has some game in him, but will Kelly's system be the right fit for him?

Bradford played in a spread at Oklahoma. It still takes great athletes

To make any system work.kelly is getting rid of his and not replacing

Them with other great athletes

Bradford played in a spread at Oklahoma. It still takes great athletes

To make any system work.kelly is getting rid of his and not replacing

Them with other great athletes

Sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I'm trying ot watch a dumpster fire over here!

OU doesn't really run the traditional spread though. Their offense is actually pretty similar to ours. They have a pretty complex passing game with packages for different players. They're a vertical passing team.

Bradford is just too brittle to hold up. Heck, Jake Locker is a much more physically capable guy and even he couldn't take the rigors of the NFL. It is curious that these guys played in pass-happy leagues with not nearly the same NFL talent defensively as say the SEC or even ACC boasts.. especially up front.

OU doesn't really run the traditional spread though.

It's the air raid version they run at West Virginia, Texas A&M, Houston & Baylor. Kevin Sumlin was the offensive coordinator who installed the offense before becoming head coach at Houston in 2008, the same year Bradford won the Heisman Trophy. It's more run & shoot but with the pistol formation & read option sprinkled in it.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/coaches/kevin-sumlin/

Edited by bigbrod81