Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saint ATN

Saints place Pierre Thomas, Akiem Hicks on I.R., promote two from prac

9 posts in this topic

Saints place Pierre Thomas, Akiem Hicks on I.R., promote two from practice squad

December, 26, 2014

By Mike Triplett | ESPN.com

METAIRIE, La. -- The New Orleans Saints placed running back Pierre Thomas and defensive end Akiem Hicks on injured reserve Friday to make room for two young practice-squad players they wanted to lock up for 2015.

They promoted receiver Brandon Coleman and linebacker Jerry Franklin off the practice squad -- though Saints coach Sean Payton said he doesn’t “anticipate” either playing in Sunday’s season finale at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“Knowing Pierre and Akiem were not going to be able to play in this game, it’s really a way to secure and put two younger guys on contract and bring them up,” Payton said.

Thomas suffered a rib injury last week against the Atlanta Falcons, while Hicks has been dealing with a nagging ankle injury. Payton said he doesn’t know if either injury is serious enough to require offseason surgery -- especially in Thomas' case.

The Saints also ruled out left tackle Terron Armstead for Sunday’s game with a neck injury, though he wasn’t placed on injured reserve. Armstead said earlier this week that he’s not sure if surgery is a possibility for his injury.

Defensive tackle John Jenkins (abdomen) was listed as questionable after not practicing all week. Offensive tackle Zach Strief (neck) and safety Jamarca Sanford (hamstring) are listed as probable after practicing on a limited basis the past two days.

Coleman, a big target at 6-foot-6, 225 pounds, was the most highly touted of the Saints undrafted free-agent signings this year after he was highly rated by some analysts coming out of Rutgers. He had some ups and downs in the summer, but Payton said he’s been happy with Coleman's development -- as well as that of fellow undrafted rookie receiver Seantavius Jones, who was promoted to the active roster earlier this month.

“He and Seantavius have really been impressive. Training camp, this whole season on the practice squad, and everything they’re doing, they’ve been real good,” Payton said. “He’s got size, he’s tough. I like the work ethic of this group. It’s a good group of young receivers when you look at him, Seantavius and then [first-round pick Brandin] Cooks.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/155906/saints-place-pierre-thomas-akiem-hicks-on-i-r-promote-two-from-practice-squad

Honestly, why don't you start em? Give em game experience. The game means nothing but pride and that is little to be had it seems so why bring em up only to sit em down. Just like the '14 season, such a tease.

I agree Hardee we need to see what we have going forward. It's not like we are playing for seeding, and in all honesty a loss helps us even though I cannot root against the Saints.

I agree Hardee we need to see what we have going forward. It's not like we are playing for seeding, and in all honesty a loss helps us even though I cannot root against the Saints.

Agreed. I hope Payton just isn't showing his hand here otherwise he is f*cking up by not playing these younger players in a meaningless game.

We as fans look at these "meaningless" games in a different perspective then the coaches or players. We will all be here next year and enjoy the benefits of a higher pick. Not so for some of the players, so for them the only reason to take the field is to play to win. Payton will obviously be here next year however if he doesn't coach or field a team to win, he loses credibility and respect of his players (and potential free agents around the league). Keep in mind to make it to the NFL level takes way more then just talent, these people are majorly competitive and want to play. If a player knows he should play and doesn't, it will not sit well with those players. They earned the right to play and should be allowed to play.

Even as a fan I know it is better for us to lose, but during the game I don't think any of us will be cheering for the Bucs.

Edited by Drew