Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zeke187

Tampa Dysfunctional?

14 posts in this topic

Sounds like someone wants to abandon ship.....wonder if we'll see Glennon if Freeman doesnt do well in the first half of Sunday's game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/buccaneers-quarterback-josh-freeman-missed-annual-team-photo-130320355--nfl.html

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman may not be a captain, but he is the skipper of a fading career with his current team.

The Bucs drafted quarterback Mike Glennon this past offseason to replace Freeman if he struggled this year. Freeman had been a team captain since 2010, but was stripped of that title by a team vote before the regular season. Freeman completed only 15-of-31 for 210 yards, one touchdown and one interception during an 18-17 loss against the New York Jets.

Well, things are not getting any better for Freeman.

According to Ira Kaufman, reporter at The Tampa Tribune, Freeman did not show up for the team photo last week. That photo shoot, which is a traditional event for every NFL team, was held before Tampa Bay voted on team captains.

In fact, Kaufman reports Freeman was late on the first day of his football camp for kids at Wesley Chapel High School in Florida this past summer. Bucs receiver Vincent Jackson was forced to fill in for Freeman, who said his absence was due to car trouble.

ProFootballTalk.com reported Tampa Bay held a players-only meeting to discuss the legitimacy of the vote that resulted in Freeman not being named a captain this season. However, Bucs coach Greg Schiano told Kaufman, “That story is 100 percent inaccurate” on Wednesday.

While the purpose of the meeting is unclear, it is accurate to say Freeman’s popularity in Tampa has hit an all-time low.

Teammates are willing to put up with a lot of things if you are playing well. Since Freeman is not living up to being a first-round pick in 2009, skipping a team photo is an occurrence that will be leaked to the media by someone who is displeased with the quarterback.

At this rate, Freeman better be on time for the photo shoot with his new team in 2014.

Edited by zeke187

Never thought much of Shiano since they bullrushed Eli and others on a kneel down play. He was also known to treat NFL scouts like crap when he was a college coach.

They have some really good players, but this internal disfunction can't bode well for their chances this Sunday.

I was never sold on Freeman being an elite Qb. He's good,but I just couldn't see him taking the next step. Two years ago this team quit on Raheem Morris,and most of those players are still on the roster. I don't believe Schiano or Freeman will be in Tampa next year. I also hate to sound over confident,but if the Saints jump out to a early lead,this game could get ugly for the Bucs.

Was listening to sirius nfl today, one of the hosts, a former player who I can't remember at the moment, commented that a "players only" meeting before the season has even started is pretty bad news.

Not sure anything good can come of this for the bucs.

I agree Face that Tampa has had some team dysfunction, and team character issues since the time of Raheem Morris. I don't think Freeman is part of those character issues and is a fine young man. But if the team around you is dysfunctional, even the best of guys can get disenfranchised. Consider the Courtney Watson or Alfred Fincher under Haslett.

I thought Schiano was a very questionable hire. After I saw more of his antics and interviews, I believed it more that he would not be good for that team.

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

Seriously, this is the kind of tripe that makes teams overlook teams like this.

Every team has their laundry, their's is being aired.

We all knew Shiano was a trainwreck.

As a WVU alumni I recall being in the Big East with Rutgers. I didn't like him then, was surprised he made it to the big league. He has lived up to the disappointment I expected him to be. That being said, they are still a NFL team and we face them in their house on Sunday.

With the loss they're going to come out motivated. We just have to stick to our gameplan and if they have issues, they'll unravel, however they've always played us hard and I expect nothing less. I think our defense is going to surprise them. As Coach says, the game in front of us is what is important, don't get caught up in the hype.

don't get caught up in the hype.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment but I don't think this particular incident will have any bearing on the teams attitude towards this weeks game, I'd be a little more worried about the 41-0 drubbing we put on em last year

...the 41-0 drubbing we put on em last year

How in the hell did last year's defense pitch a shut out on anyone in the NFL? That has puzzled me since it happened. At that point in the season we already knew that the defense was abysmal, yet they came together for one great performance?

I'm wondering if this Schiano guy is trying to produce a distraction to pull a surprise win on us. I don't put anything past this shady coach.we cannot let this show make us complacent.

I agree you shoudl never overlook any team, and this team has a very talented defense. With two very talented DE's, and pro bowlers all over the secondary. I think they will be out for blood this week after what happened against the Jets. I do think they are dysfunctional though. I think Freeman and Schiano are gone after the year. I think of Freeman more like Joe Flacoo, as long as he is not the leader of the team he could be good, but never great. I think there are going to be a lot of coaches seats hot this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000243197/article/greg-schiano-josh-freeman-overslept-last-week

Greg Schiano: Josh Freeman overslept last week

Greg Schiano would have loved if his Thursday news conference dealt solely with his team's upcoming matchup against the New Orleans Saints.

Instead, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach spent a good portion of his availability discussing Josh Freeman and the drama surrounding the quarterback following the team's ugly 18-17 loss to the New York Jets last Sunday.

Schiano said Freeman overslept last week, causing him to miss the team photo session. He said the issue was addressed internally, though he also acknowledged the quarterback has been late for other functions.

"I do trust Josh," Schiano said. "Josh and I share a lot of things together."

Schiano also discussed the players-only meeting last week.

"I was aware there was going to be a players-only meeting before the game, which I'm always fine with," Schiano said. "I trust the players and the leadership, and if the team wants to talk among themselves, I think it's healthy. I was not aware of any question on captain's vote, because there isn't any."

Freeman was not voted a team captain, leading to a report that players had questioned the validity of the vote. Schiano said Wednesday any theory that the voting was rigged against Freeman is "100 percent inaccurate."

"When you have mishaps, you have things where guys don't do what they're supposed to do when they're supposed to do it, does it concern me? Sure it does," he said. "But the same guy has done a lot of things that he is supposed to do, when he's supposed to do them in clutch situations dating back as late as Sunday, he took the team down and put us in field-goal range to win the game."

Schiano is saying the right things, but you get the feeling this is headed in a certain direction. Mike Glennon waits in the wings, representing a fresh start for a coach who might need one.