Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/whodat/public_html/forum/include/parser.php on line 737

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/whodat/public_html/forum/include/parser.php on line 791

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/whodat/public_html/forum/include/parser.php on line 791

Topic: Kirk Herbstreit picks LSU to win SEC & make 2015 CFP

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/college-f … e-football

Conference Winners

Big Ten: Ohio State Buckeyes over Wisconsin Badgers
Big 12: Oklahoma Sooners
SEC: LSU Tigers over Tennessee Volunteers
ACC: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets over Florida State Seminoles
Pac-12: Arizona State Sun Devils over Stanford Cardinal

College Football Playoff Teams

Ohio State Buckeyes
LSU Tigers
Oklahoma Sooners
Arizona State Sun Devils

Don't play with my emotions again Herbie.

http://neutralgroundnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/herbie.jpg

Concerning Herbie's picks, OSU is a no brainer. That team is loaded & only faces serious competition in the Big 10 twice in the regular season with their games against Penn State & Michigan State. Even though their opener is at Virginia Tech, these are not the Hokies we have become accustomed to seeing under Frank Beamer. I didn't include Michigan either because it's going to take Harbaugh a recruiting class or two to catch up with Urban Meyer.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/big- … hedule.php

I'm not sure about the Oklahoma pick. I think TCU is still the best team in the Big XII & they return a Heisman Trophy candidate at QB in Trevone Boykin. That Horned Frog demolition of Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl was no fluke. On the other hand, Oklahoma has decided to bench Trevor Knight in favor of transfer Baker Mayfield. This is the same Trevor Knight who sliced & diced Alabama in the Sugar Bowl two years ago & received comparisons to Drew Brees while doing so.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5442030

I love the Georgia Tech pick to win the ACC. (Sorry Bonck) That team was red hot to end last season plus the triple option they run is extremely difficult to prepare for in this day & age. The Ramblin Wreck also return RS Junior Justin Thomas who runs that triple option offense almost to perfection. I'm not sure why Tech isn't getting more national attention heading into this season. It seems FSU & Clemson have all but been handed the ACC. I know the Yellow Jackets offense isn't sexy but it shouldn't numerous shots of alcohol to notice that they are a legit contender. They must be better defensively than a year ago to have a real shot though.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 … /?page=all

I won't discuss LSU here being that there are numerous threads already on here so I'll jump to ASU. The good thing about this Sun Devil pick is that we will find out right off the bat if it's legit since ASU plays Texas A&M in Houston next Saturday. They follow that up with USC & UCLA back to back to end September & to begin October. It will also be our first opportunity to see if Kevin Sumlin's air raid attack offense meshes with John Chavis' bend but don't break style of defense.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/pac- … hedule.php

One team you don't notice in Herbie's picks is Alabama. What Nick Saban has managed to do at Alabama the last several years has simply been remarkable. The Tide have seemingly found ways to blend incoming freshman in around talented upperclassmen year after year which has consistently made their offense one of the more efficient offenses in the country in this time frame. Well that isn't the case going into this season. Amari Cooper isn't walking through that door & they have huge questions at QB that will probably last all season long. Their front 7 will be very strong but it may not be enough this year. They still also have huge question marks in their secondary. Back to their offense. Let's look at Blake Sims numbers from a year ago.

Com. 252 Att. 391 Com% 64.5    3487 Yds  28 TDs

Ok, now let's look at Amari Cooper's stats.

Rec. 124    1727 Yds 13.9 YPC 16 TDs

Do you see what I see here? Cooper accounted for basically half of the total passing production for the Tide. This just goes to show how truly special he was last season but Cooper is with the Raiders now. There isn't a receiver on Alabama's current roster with combination of skill, talent & experience as Amari had last season. RB Kenyon Drake is probably the closest player of that caliber. He's explosive & versatile being that he can line up at WR too but there's no way the Alabama coaches can expect Drake to carry a Cooper type work load after the gruesome knee injury he suffered against Ole Miss last season.

I'll go even deeper. The next top receivers for Alabama last season were Deandrew White (Rec. 40 504 Yds 12.6 YPC 4 TDs) & Christion Jones ( Rec. 19 264 Yds 13.1 YPC 1 TD). Both were UDFAs. White is fighting for a roster spot with the 49ers & Jones is fighting for a spot  with the Dolphins. Do you smell what I'm cooking? If you want to know what Alabama will look like this, look no further than the 2014 version of the LSU Tigers. The Tide will try to lean on their ground game with Derrick Henry, Kenyon Drake & incoming freshman Damian Harris. If teams want to get Bama they better do it this year because they won't have the chance in 2016.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index … rterb.html

The season kicks off a week from tonight with South Carolina @ North Carolina.

College football fans.......Are you ready?

https://youtu.be/3cy2CLLFbJs

Tiger fans.......are you ready?

http://i.imgur.com/GIAhVp9.gif

Re: Kirk Herbstreit picks LSU to win SEC & make 2015 CFP

Miles finally named Harris the starter, and that is definitely going to make LSU a better football team immediately. The sad thing is that if Jennings hadn't gotten into trouble, he'd still be the starter.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/whodat/public_html/forum/include/parser.php on line 737

3 (edited by bigbrod81 08-27-2015 9:31:44)

I'm not so sure about that. Jennings is still struggling with his footwork & short range accuracy. He has a legitimate chance to be passed up by true freshman Justin McMillan before this 2015 season is over with.

http://247sports.com/Player/Justin-McMillan-38246

The only reason this QB battle has been drawn out so long is due Cam Cameron trying use the idea of competition to make both quarterbacks better. Jennings may still be needed if there is an injury to Harris at some point. Here's a quote from Cam after the Spring Game.

"The worst thing that could happen to us is one guy winning the job over a guy who's playing average," LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron said Tuesday morning. "Who knows what that means? All we've got to do is look to last year.

"My thought to our QBs this spring is, 'Get as good as you can get and put us in a position where we don't know who the best player is because everybody is playing so well.'"

Cameron is talking about last year because Harris injuried his ankle in his start at Auburn. The high ankle sprain lingered the rest of the season. Then to top it off Harris admitted to not putting in the necessary work in the film room & on the chalkboard or asking the right questions to aid in his development.

http://i59.tinypic.com/29w98pt.jpg

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2 … d_ank.html

"You have to be confident to lead these guys, Vadal Alexander, Jerald Hawkins. They don't want a mouse leading them.

The offense I know in and out. It's all about going out and making the right read and the right decisions, keeping those guys around me and uplifting them."

Harris, too, learned some hard lessons in his rookie season, but said his timidity and a high ankle sprain he suffered against Auburn held him back. He said the timidity was on him for not speaking up and asking enough questions and that it would change this season as his relationship with offensive coordinator Cam Cameron has strengthened.

"I've always had a great relationship with him even back to when he was recruiting me," Harris said. "When I was a freshman if I didn't understand something, I wouldn't ask the questions. Now I'm feeling comfortable why we run this for this reason. I'm over-utilizing him, not taking advantage, but over-utilizing him. He's one of the best offensive coordinators in the country and I think over utilizing him and understanding why we do things in certain situations."

"Last year I would be the first one to tell you I didn't know the ins and outs of things I needed to know," Harris said. "Now, going into my second spring, I'm so much more comfortable getting on the same page. I'm not having to have anybody tell me, the right tackle, I've called the wrong play or this and that. I'm more comfortable.

"I played a lot as a true freshman, which is unheard of at quarterback here. I'm looking forward to the spring, continuing to grow mentally and physically and just mentally as a person becoming a better leader."

Said LSU's leading receiver, Travin Dural: "I wouldn't say typical but at times you could tell Brandon was a freshman. He did things a freshman does. You can tell now he's grown."

Every Tiger fan needs to understand that it was Cam Cameron who picked Jennings to be starter last season & Miles just signed off on it. Cam was the one who trusted Jennings despite his physical limitations because of his knowledge of the playbook & ability to make the proper presnap checks. It was Miles who forced Cam to start Harris against Auburn after Jennings stunk it up early against New Mexico St. the week before. This was against Cam's wishes though.

The truth is, Harris has been Cam's guy all along but as a true freshman, Brandon didn't take the bull by the horns. There was a maturity area that was lacking a season ago that is there now. Honestly, there should have never been talk of having to start him last year. This is why "No Chest" Gunner Kiel lying & not showing up to campus in 2012 hurt so bad. Last year it should have been an experienced Kiel replacing Mett as the starter with Jennings as the backup & Harris redshirting. This fall camp it would have been Kiel vs Harris with Jennings not even in the rear view mirror.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal … notre-dame

History shows us that true freshman in college don't fair well in pro style systems. Even prodigies like Andrew Luck & Jameis Winston sat & redshirted their first years on campus before being named a starter.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou … yOhd_R5NRA

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1802 … anziel-was

This was always going to be Cam's decision with Miles signing off on it. Harris is Cam's recruit & was always going to be favored by him. Jennings was a Kragthorpe/Studrawa recruit. Studrawa is long gone & Kragthorpe only has a administration type role do to him being diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2011. Jennings is now realizing this & reports from fall camp have said he is pouting & not handling the transition to being the backup very well. This photo is from the first few days of fall camp. Harris is getting 1st team reps while Jennings is next to Miles on the side not looking to happy. There were also some threads a few weeks back with video clips in them that showed Jennings having poor body language after misthrows during practice sessions.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad166/Bigedlsu/77c36ea9889b364e344a9e228551b8f8_zpsnuasbwfq.jpg

McMillan already has better technique & is more fundementally sound than Jennings but he lacks the knowledge of the playbook which will come with time. That's why I say he will eventually over take Jennings as the backup before the end of the season. I fully expect Jennings to transfer once this season is over with. I'm not trying to bash the kid but reality is going to hit him real soon. He's going to look at the QB roster heading into next season & realize that he is about to get buried on the depth chart behind Harris, McMillan & the transfer from Purdue Danny Etling. The only other QB he maybe ahead next year is of Felipe Franks who most likely will redshirt. Barring a complete meltdown by Harris in a game or injury, Anthony Jennings is probably never going to start another game for LSU again.

Welcome aboard the bandwagon, Herbie.

Luginbil also loves LSU as the darkhorse in the SEC.

Notice how the analyst who have actual connections, have a knowledge of team's rosters & who follow recruiting know what's up. Hell, Luginbill is ESPN's Senior recruiting analyst. He knows the players across the college landscape better than anyone. All those so called analyst predicting 6-6, 7-5 records for LSU along with poor offensive production are going to look like complete idiots in just over a month. Same goes for the ones penciling in Alabama for the CFP.

6 (edited by Brian Milici 08-27-2015 5:41:40)

bigbrod81 wrote:

Notice how the analyst who have actual connections, have a knowledge of team's rosters & who follow recruiting know what's up. Hell, Luginbill is ESPN's Senior recruiting analyst. He knows the players across the college landscape better than anyone. All those so called analyst predicting 6-6, 7-5 records for LSU along with poor offensive production are going to look like complete idiots in just over a month. Same goes for the ones penciling in Alabama for the CFP.

Dude, I am near stopping watching College Football Live.

One analyst, forget who he was, mild looking guy, gray peppered hair, a grayish mustache, said that LSU losing Jalen Mills takes them out of the race and they'll struggle mightily losing him.

Whaaaaat?

Mills is a beast, no doubt, but really? The secondary at LSU will be their problem?

Also, surprised Herbie didn't pick Heargraves from Florida.. Mike Detillier thinks he's a Patrick Peterson/Darrelle Revis type monster and when asked about the Treadwell-Heargraves matchup, Mike said they shouldn't even look Treadwell's way with an inexperienced QB. He'll get bit.

Interesting.

7 (edited by bigbrod81 08-27-2015 9:56:55)

I know just who are talking about. I'm not so sure what his name is but I just about threw a shoe at the tv when I heard him say that. LSU is deepest at WR, RB & in the secondary. Any analyst who does their homework would know that. It was one of the dumbest statements/predictions I've heard so far. You really want to see dumb? Check these predictions out.

The funniest of all the predictions is Alabama. They may end up with the worst QB play out of all the SEC West teams. Ole Miss is up there too with reports of Chad Kelly being up & down at Rebels camp. One of the analyst in there completely blows Georgia yet the Bulldogs have yet to name a starter at QB while also breaking out a new OC in Brian Schottenheimer. Here see for yourself.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on- … -of-finish

Ok, I get it. Last year wasn't a good look offensively. It's like none of these so called analyst stop & look at the bigger picture as to what LSU lost in Mettenberger, Hill, Landry & Beckham a year ago. That's a ton of talent, experience & veteran leadership to lose at one time. That left a bunch of talented but inexperienced players to fill those roles which isn't easily done especially not in a pro style offense. They also fail to realize that young players tend to develop & get better. Here's a look at just what we lost in that foursome though.

In April, we broke down how LSU's offense led the nation in third-down efficiency last season by converting for a first down or touchdown 57.1 percent of the time.

(Mettenberger) The fifth-year senior's 96.7 Total Quarterback Rating on third down trailed only that of Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston (96.9) among FBS quarterbacks. Mettenberger was 58-for-89 for 974 yards, nine touchdowns and one interception on third down according to ESPN Stats & Information. Of those 58 completions, 21 went for 20 yards or more -- a total that was second only to Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater (22).

Talented though they may be, a green freshman and a sophomore with one shaky start under his belt are not going to match that kind of passing production.

The question isn't which LSU player replaces Landry's absurd production on third down. It's highly unlikely that one player will do that -- not this fall anyhow -- seeing as how Landry ranked third in the FBS in third-down receptions (28), second in receiving yards (474) and tied for first with six touchdown catches according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Hill was arguably the nation's most explosive third-down back in 2013, leading the FBS with an average of 13.28 yards per carry on third down according to ESPN Stats & Information. Although dozens of players carried the ball more times on third down than Hill's 18 attempts, he ranked 10th nationally with 239 yards thanks in large part to his touchdown runs of 37, 49 and 69 yards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/8 … wn-success

Those losses were why I was so pessimistic last offseason. I knew what was about to happen before it did. I even saw the streak against Mississippi St. coming to an end. I'm far from pessimistic this year. You can put the 2015 Tigers blend of offensive talent & experience against any team in the country even defending champ Ohio St. I'm just that confident in what we have this year. All these so called analyst blowing hot air are going to need cases of seasonings to flavor up that crow they will be eating in a few months.

Also, surprised Herbie didn't pick Heargraves from Florida.. Mike Detillier thinks he's a Patrick Peterson/Darrelle Revis type monster and when asked about the Treadwell-Heargraves matchup, Mike said they shouldn't even look Treadwell's way with an inexperienced QB

Herbie is probably sleeping on Hargreaves a bit because he had a much better freshman year than sophomore year but the kid is a legit top 10 pick at CB. Part of his down year was due to injuries though. He can begin learning how to stay healthy by avoiding Fournette's thighs first.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/lsureveille.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/47/347f0b40-51f6-11e4-83cd-0017a43b2370/543a50953db61.image.jpg

Some more of the bad.

Let's begin to trim down the numbers. It won't be Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Missouri, South Carolina, Mississippi State or LSU. The Commodores might not win a game. The Gators are getting started under a new staff. LSU isn't in the ballpark of championship contention.

Yet it really comes down to two teams, Alabama and Auburn, even if both have inherent flaws of their own to overcome. The Crimson Tide are not in good shape at quarterback, but close to flawless elsewhere. Auburn is in great shape on offense but still a work in progress on defense, even if Will Muschamp's track record suggests a healthy uptick in production. The Iron Bowl is coming fast.

http://i.imgur.com/mIH9wel.gif

http://www.usatoday.com/longform/sports … /71293460/

Some more of the good.

http://lsu.247sports.com/Bolt/Corso-Her … e-39019908

The ESPN College GameDay crew made their picks for this year's National Champion, and veteran analysts Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit both went with LSU vs. Ohio State in this year's National Championship.

Corso and Herbstreit both predicted the Tigers to win the SEC, then move into the College Football Playoffs and eventually match up with the Buckeyes in the title game.

Corso picked LSU to defeat Baylor, then win the National Championship. Herbstreit also predicted LSU to win their first game in the playoffs, but predicted the Tigers to lose to Ohio State.

Let's begin to trim down the numbers. It won't be Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Missouri, South Carolina, Mississippi State or LSU. The Commodores might not win a game. The Gators are getting started under a new staff. LSU isn't in the ballpark of championship contention.

Saying these teams have absolutely no shot to win their divisions is simply retarded. Tennessee is young but talented. They do have offensive line questions especially after losing their starting right guard & his back up to injury for entire the season only adds to those questions. Still in all, the Vols have the most talented young QB in the East division in with Josh Dobbs. They are also loaded at receiver with Marquez North & Pig Howard.

Missouri has won the East the last two seasons & have the most experienced QB in the division in Maty Mauk. They also seem to grow under the radar edge rushers on trees there.

Do I think State will win the West? No, they lost too much but to automatically take them out of contention is dumb. They return a Heisman contender in Dak though. College football history has shown that players of that caliber have miraculously put teams on their back to make special runs.

In no particular order, I think the top 4 teams in the West will be:

Auburn
LSU
Mississippi State
Arkansas

Texas A&M, Alabama & Ole Miss have far too many questions circling their squads this season yet those are the 3 constantly receiving the most attention of the western division teams.

Remember now, first game is 5 days away now against Wisconsin. Looks like a well oiled machine.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Charlie_Burr … 72/video/1

11 (edited by Brian Milici 08-31-2015 11:50:16)

bigbrod81 wrote:

Remember now, first game is 5 days away now against Wisconsin. Looks like a well oiled machine.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Charlie_Burr … 72/video/1

Is the QB playing tight end or hback?  WTF?

LSU I thought was a sleeper team until I watched College Gameday and Herbie and Corso fought over who got to name LSU in the title game first.

It was kinda cute.

Oddly, Michigan man Desmond went against Michigan man Miles and left them out.

I prefer to fly under the radar.

Been pumping Brandon Harris to everyone I talk to, and I have to admit, my Tiger fan friend brethren (say that three times fast) are all eyeing me curiously. My excitement even moreso..

Which, honestly, is a nice way to say they are skeptical as all Hades and do not believe my enthusiasm is well-founded.

Sir Brandon, please, make a believer out of us all.

12 (edited by bigbrod81 08-31-2015 12:27:54)

Oddly, Michigan man Desmond went against Michigan man Miles and left them out.

I caught that too. Desmond went with Texas A&M. My issue with A&M is balance offensively. Outside of a scrambling Manziel, the Ags have not been able to establish a ground game since entering the SEC. I look at their roster at RB & look at their history under Sumlin & I just don't see where it could possibly come from. Being one dimensional can win you a few games but it's not a recipe to contend for championships. Also, where is the talent on the defensive side that Chavis requires to have solid defenses? I'll give them Myles Garrett & Daylon Mack but where is the secondary talent because the Aggies were awful on the back end just a year ago.

Been pumping Brandon Harris to everyone I talk to, and I have to admit, my Tiger fan friend brethren (say that three times fast) are all eyeing me curiously. My excitement even moreso..
Which, honestly, is a nice way to say they are skeptical as all Hades and do not believe my enthusiasm is well-founded.
Sir Brandon, please, make a believer out of us all.

I don't think we will be let down. Just remember this. The media & scouts are allowed to view these practices but they are also sworn not to release too much info but there have been leaks . There's a reason LSU is getting this amount of love as the season nears. Insiders know what's up. Herbie was even hyping Harris up which was a surprise. These other analyst are using lazy assumptions based off a season ago where our skill position players were extremely young.

The staff appears very confident. That line Cam gave at his press conference Friday was pretty ballsy. Miles is pretty confident here as well.

https://m.soundcloud.com/siriusxmcolleg … the-season

I'm trying to find the sound cloud of another segment from this show where Houston Nutt says LSU was the most impressive team he witnessed practice wise during a tour of the SEC camps.

100%. Agreed, Brod.

I think this is the year Miles shows the world that, hey, guess what? Brandon Harris wants to be a badass quarterback, and I'm okay with that! The same way he's allowed Leonard to  embrace 20 carries a game.

If you got a stud, you ride that horse..

Les better hope he bet on the right stallion..

14 (edited by Dru 08-31-2015 5:43:58)

I'll tell you what, it seems almost like the team motto this off-season. 

"I'll do whatever it takes for the team.  I'll play wherever they want me to play."

I understand that it's common to hear that type of thing, but I'm reading it from quotes at every single position.  There's hardly an article that goes by that doesn't have it in there.  Seriously, I can't think of one position group that I haven't heard that from.  And in every position group it has been more than one guy saying it.  Maybe TE would be the only group off the top of my head that I can't recall a guy, but I think that's just from a lack of quotes from the TEs in general.

Every year, nearly every College will have some guys saying this.  Possibly even some of the stars of the team.  But I'm serious, it's nearly the entire LSU team and nearly all of the stars have been quoted to that affect.  Saying the right thing isn't necessarily meaning it, but this very well may be the most humble, star studded group at LSU ever.  Brandon even mentioned himself picking it up from Leonard.

If this team has the Eye of the Tiger to go along with that selfless attitude, we're in for a ride.  I'm so stoked about this season.