Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/whodat/public_html/forum/include/parser.php on line 791

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/whodat/public_html/forum/include/parser.php on line 791

Topic: R.I.P. Darryl Dawkins aka Chocolate Thunder

It seems we just had conversation a few months around All Star weekend back discussing Hawkins weight loss because his doctor advised him to so over health concerns. He lost the weight but did not win the battle against heart disease.

He was the first to make the jump straight from high school to the pros. He was also the original rim shaker, backboard breaker. He took the meaning of going strong to the basket to another level.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/28/sport … at-58.html

https://youtu.be/2V7z1UY1WbE

Re: R.I.P. Darryl Dawkins aka Chocolate Thunder

The NBA lost a treasure with Dawkins passing.

Fwiw Brod, Dawkins and Bill Willoughby were the first two HS players to go straight to the NBA. Moses Malone was the first HS player to go directly to the Pros. He signed with the ABA one year before Dawkins and Willoughby did with the NBA.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/whodat/public_html/forum/include/parser.php on line 737

Dawkins and Bill Willoughby were the first two HS players to go straight to the NBA. Moses Malone was the first HS player to go directly to the Pros. He signed with the ABA one year before Dawkins and Willoughby did with the NBA.

Ahh, I gotcha. How ironic that the 76ers eventually traded Dawkins away & brought in Malone as his replacement? It's also crazy how Malone & Dawkins were complete opposites both personality wise & in the physical gifts. Moses was more of a fundemental player & could barely jump over a quarter while Dawkins relied on athleticism because he could jump out of the gym. It's probably the biggest factor as to why Philly got over the hump to win a title with Moses but kept coming up short with Darryl. Dawkins later admitted he didn’t take to coaching very well & his coaches admitted to not pushing him because he was so well liked.

Legend.

Rest in peace.

He was a key part of that late 70s 76ers team.

RIP.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/whodat/public_html/forum/include/parser.php on line 737

6 (edited by faceman 08-28-2015 3:28:40)

bigbrod81 wrote:

Ahh, I gotcha. How ironic that the 76ers eventually traded Dawkins away & brought in Malone as his replacement? It's also crazy how Malone & Dawkins were complete opposites both personality wise & in the physical gifts. Moses was more of a fundemental player & could barely jump over a quarter while Dawkins relied on athleticism because he could jump out of the gym. It's probably the biggest factor as to why Philly got over the hump to win a title with Moses but kept coming up short with Darryl. Dawkins later admitted he didn’t take to coaching very well & his coaches admitted to not pushing him because he was so well liked.

If there's even been a better offensive rebounder than Malone, I haven't seen him play. I'll never forget something Bill Russel who was the color man at the time for CBS said. He said 90% of all rebounds occur below the rim. Getting your body in position is far more important than leaping ability. Moses was always in position and had an uncanny knack of knowing where the ball was going to bounce off the rim. Charles Barkley and Dennis Rodman had the same ability.

edit- I was reading the wiki on Malone and didn't know this. The N.O. Jazz had his draft rights when the ABA folded. We used that right as part of the trade that aquired  Gail Goodrich from the Lakers. That has to rank as one of the worst trades in NBA history. Goodrich was a decent player,but he was 34 years old and well past his prime when he got here. The Lakers used the first round pick we gave up to select Magic Johnson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Malone

The ABA-NBA merger occurred after the 1975–76 season, but the Spirits of St. Louis were not among the ABA teams chosen to join the NBA. Malone's NBA rights had previously been held by the New Orleans Jazz, but the NBA let them place Malone into the draft pool in exchange for the return of their first-round draft pick in 1977, which they used to trade for Gail Goodrich.